Windows: Line-Based vs. Message Signaled-Based Interrupts. MSI tool.

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by mbk1969, May 7, 2013.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Netadapter Cx is on both 10 and 11, the 2.x drivers are broken everywhere.

2. PanosXidis

PanosXidis Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 SUPRIM X
    Yeap i have storages RAID 0 and asmedia one card!!!

3. FronteRBumpeR

FronteRBumpeR Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 30 Series
    Greetings again @mbk1969. I have a pair of questions

I just reconnected my SATA SSD as a secondary drive. Seeing as it just has some media type files on it and no windows/ game files.. Could I change it's interrupt priority from High to Normal? IF that would possibly help free up priority for everything else?

Also, the MSI v3 tool does not seem to indicate that the SATA drive is MSI-X compatible yet in Microsoft's Interrupt Affinity tool show's it's policy as IrqPolicySpreadMessagesAcrossAllProcessors.

(as well, same policy as my NVMe)

Attached Files:

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can of course. Most probably, high priority for device means its interrupts will "interrupt" other devices` interrupts. If SATA storage is not used it will not generate interrupts.

Why do you think IrqPolicySpreadMessagesAcrossAllProcessors policy relates to MSI-X only?
    (MSI tool only shows what Windows reports.)

5. https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/sound/hd-audio/notes.html#interrupt-handling

On my X470 motherboard, both onboard and the GPU (NVIDIA)'s audio devices by-default have MSI disabled. On a Coffee Lake laptop (with Linux), the onboard audio is using MSI by-default. Doing
    snd-hda-intel.enable_msi=1 on my X470 board causes the IRQs reported from lspci for my GPU and both audio devices to shift up 1 position (103 -> 104, 106 -> 107, etc) and the Enable flag.

This implies it's not always a good idea to set audio devices to MSI mode even if the devices can do it. Have there been any scenarios where audio buses on Windows have gotten MSI mode enabled out-the-box? I can't find any specific comment about why my board has MSI disabled.

6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If you see no faulty devices in device manager then leave it on MSI mode.

7. ICrewella

ICrewella Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4060
    Are the values good ?

Attached Files:

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    4 devices with high interrupt priority can compete with each other. But if you see no hitches/stutters then you are OK.

9. ICrewella

ICrewella Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4060
    is it better this way

Attached Files:

10. gQx

gQx Active Member

GPU:
    2060/6144
    tried changing some limits and interrupts I think all is wrong :)
    what should I change them to? (Got 6 cores so above that useless or did I misunderstand that too?) and I am using nvme ssd should I disalbe ahci sata from bios

Attached Files:

• msi.png
      msi.png
      File size:
      49.5 KB
      Views:

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Somewhat. I am talking from pure academic point of view. If your system manages several devices with high interrupt priority (without issues) then you can use that.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If you have no disks attached to AHCI controller then yes. And integrated videocard too.
    You better use v3 of MSI utility - it is cleaner and with much more information of selected device.

13. gQx

gQx Active Member

GPU:
    2060/6144
    disabled ahci and this is the final look. undefined feels like gives better latency :) Should I change ssd to undefined too? afraid to turn off integrated card since the one modding bios said don't do it.

Attached Files:

• msi3.png
      msi3.png
      File size:
      34.9 KB
      Views:
  14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You should experiment - test with high priority then test with undefined priority and compare results.

15. gQx

gQx Active Member

GPU:
    2060/6144
    didn't see much difference between high and undefined but just installed a generic samsung nvme driver from winraid(my nvme controller was microsoft generic since no support from manufacturer)
    actual irq was 13 before on msi utility now says 16 and I saw some improvement on diskmark

Attached Files:

mbk1969 likes this.

16. amymor

amymor Member

GPU:
    MSI.PNG
    can someone guide me on the right settings? on my old 950 gpu i remember changing these settings and interrupt affinity policy, gave me a black screen when running gpu-z , so im little worried. i read about it many and watched many videos and many difference recommendations, but still cant find what is better.
    1.should i enable msi mode for all devices?
    2.should i change priority of SATA AHCI? (i have nvme ssd + stata ssd + hdd, and usually install rarely-used programs on hdd while windows and lite/small games is on sata ssd)
    3.how do you test changes? what value/driver should i check in LatencyMon?
    4. here is what i guess is fine:
    MSI-edited.PNG

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @amymor

It is not clear how to test interrupt priorities tweaks beside actual gameplay (if you are about games).

On Win10 and Win8 you can turn all devices to MSI mode because a boot storage devices are on MSI mode by default. On Win7 storage devices do not support MSI mode.
    And be aware that NV cards of older generations (2xxx, 1xxx, ...) are turned back to legacy mode with each driver installation.

18. amymor

amymor Member

GPU:
    thank you for your response, so i will enable msi mode for all, but what about priority and other values like max limit, limit?
    also i plugged my mouse and keyboard to usb2.0 ports and my modem-usb to usb3.1 port(i heard form many people that usb2.0 is better for mouse and keyboard). is there any difference for 16-24Mbps modem-usb in usb3.1 vs usb2.0 in terms of latency? if not, can i lower USB 3.1 Controller priority or even turn off usb3.1 ports through bios and use usb2.0 instead?

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    We know little about priority. We can assume that too many devices with high interrupt priority can start to compete with each other.
    Limit and max limit values are relevant only for devices with multiple IRQs (like NVMe). Limit value allows you to hint to device driver to use single (or simply less) IRQ instead of multiple ones.

In absence of physical USB2.0 controller all USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports lead to the same USB3.0 controller. Inside the controller one USB2.0 port and one USB3.0 port can share so called USB connector. In such case two ports are called a companion ports and USB connector implements so called port routing.
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/mouse-guide.335510/page-14#post-5918816
    It can be that USB ports without companions are better.

No need to use USB3.1 controller for keyboard/mouse. Only for USB3.1 storage.

Coldblackice and amymor like this.
  20. amymor

amymor Member

GPU:
    @mbk1969 in usbview i saw my companions ports, but i think i have one usb controller. here is my usb ports in device manager (view by connection):
    usb.PNG
    so i think if i disable usb controller in bios i will lose all my usb ports, but how about disabling only usb3.1 ports( highlighted with blue color) trough device manager? is it good idea?

also i enabled msi mode on all device and rebooted, here is result:
    MSI-edited.PNG
    did you have any further suggestion like changing SATA AHCI priority (because i install windows 10 and important programs on SATA SSD) or changing limit for some devices?

also someone in discord said me that "change NVMe to undefined because it can cause problems, so you should set all to undefined and enable msi mode"