Supposedly GeForce RTX 3080 12GB production has resumed because to an abundance of GA102.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 16, 2022.

1. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    this winter sale will make 2018 look like a scam in comparison

2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    There's nowhere near the same amount of money in the other coins/algos.

And think about it, the moment that huge hash rate would jump on various TinyCoins™, their difficulty will shoot up to the moon very fast, making them completely unprofitable, I doubt those will even pay for electricity. If/when ETH PoW shuts down, the rest of the mining will be insignificant.

Oh, and there's still a big chance all cryptoscams will actually crash, like... REALLY crash. The writing is on the wall, it's just a matter of time...

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You are probably right about the hash rate and how "tiny coins" will behave.
    But what stops anybody from doing another ETH fork to keep PoW?
    I somehow don't see 20-30 million used GPUs causing havoc on the secondary / used card market, or keeping us from high prices with next gen products either. Might be totally wrong, but I'm pesimistic about it all, I don't expect anything good to come out of it.

Remember back then, when a 50$ jump between generations was a big, big deal? And then came mining and 'rona and now it's ten or twenty times that jump... I wish it was still 2016 in terms of GPUs.

4. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I'd buy a new 3080 10g/12g below msrp,for sure. even in september. then just have more time to let rtx40 sku's roll out. I think I'd be satisfied even if undervolted it to 250w as my 3060ti is doing just fine at 200w with dlss.

5. IgrokU

IgrokU Guest

GPU:
    6900 xt OC
    This doesn't make any sense- if they had the chips= they were planning on selling them... what?- would they just throw them away?

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Uh, I don't really recall Nvidia itself commenting on materials - they simply said demand was outstripping supply but that was a year and a half ago. How much time needs to pass before the comment is no longer relevant to current conditions to not make them a liar? More recently they said that the demand may stay up throughout 2022 but they revised that towards the middle of the year. And if like half way through a year demand suddenly falls but you predicted it to continue, you'd expect an oversupply, no?

IIRC there were rumors of materials being a bottleneck for supply in early/mid 2021, but those were specifically materials for the cards - not dies. So there being an oversupply of GA102 dies doesn't have anything to do with a shortage of chip materials for building the rest of the card. And again, it's over a year ago at this point - did those shortages continue? No idea.

There's various other GPU minable coins that will just increase in value when that happens. It's not going to fix the problem. Plus like I wrote in other posts, after the Pascal mining era tons of miners sold their cards, only to have the spike come back 10x with Ampere and all those Pascal cards 4-5x in value. Chances are a current sell off will be affected by that history.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I'm scared. I reasoned the same.

8. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    You guys are nuts if you think the prices for the new 40 series isn't going up 25-30%. Quit citing prices from 4 yrs ago.
    4070 = $699
    4080 = $999
    4090 = $1499 maybe even $1699.
    Add about $200 to the ti versions when they come out.
    Except the 4090 ti will be about $1999
    IF... they announce the new cards in October.. They will be very limited in supply until the 30 series dries up. I just bought a 3090 ti.. I'm good, don't care about the 40 series.. And I'm coming from a 1070.

9. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    ^ That's not how markets work.

One needs to remember that all these are just ... toys. (when not used for cryptomining, which is on its death bed, even if not very apparent to a lot of people)
    I think most people will prioritize putting food on the table and paying for their increasingly expensive electricity than buying yet another overpriced toy.

Giant corporations like nVidia and AMD are attempting to sell tens of millions of these things every year, or more.
    Just 10000 rich buyers that grab a "Titan" card for $1000 or more in the first few days are not enough, if most of everyone else can't afford them.

Right now the purchasing power of the average Joe and Jane are reducing more and more, as we are clearly in a global recession (despite what the fake news media says). Another overpriced toy is definitely NOT a priority.

---
    Here's a little story - A shop where I live (in an European country of 20 million people) had a 3060 Ti on sale for significantly lower than the market average (one single piece), actually lower than MSRP, with a little twist - It was "unsealed" (probably a return from a customer).

Guess how much it just sat there as the lowest priced 3060 Ti on the entire market.
    10 days.
    Ten freekin' days until someone eventually decided to get it.

2nd one:
    All the stores have stocks of GPUs of all kinds and they barely sell at all. I went to a local electronics retailer which sells computer parts as well last Thursday and took a good look at the shelf full of 3080s, 3070s, 6700XT and the like.
    Today I went there again and took a good look at the shelf again. It's gathering more dust. Those cards are sitting there for days and nobody buys them.

You might wonder... why aren't they lowering prices?
    Simple, because the shop bought those cards at more than they are priced now, and they are ALREADY losing. They don't want to lose even more, or hope that somehow the market will bounce back and those magical miners are going to empty the shelves again.

The reality will kick in soon enough that they are just going to be forced to slash those prices in half if they want to recover anything at all from those cards.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    Picolete likes this.
  10. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    there will be $500 and $400 options too, but no way they'll be 3080ti/3090 performance imo 4070 will be 699 indeed if it's matching 3090ti with 12g vram,still a beastly card for that price

11. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    In a world with rising inflation, soaring energy prices, shortages of basic stuff and increases in interest rates - it's strategically to push prices to the max. What good are the products if few have the money to buy them? In 2018-2019 before Covid and wars people had more money, that's the truth.

12. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    If you have a premium product, eg the 4090, you just need to restrict supply and push the price up. Easy money.

Picolete likes this.
  13. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    The point of the 4090 being over priced(even if that means selling less 4090s) is to make the rest of the line up look fairly priced in comparison.

mackintosh and wavetrex like this.