AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 22.8.1- Driver download and discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Blisk, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I use MadVR for my renderer and do not have any issues with any driver.

2. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    Ok, then try to play the video I have uploaded (AV1 stream [ID:399] + HDR/10bit downloaded from YouTube) with DXVA hardware acceleration. I'm curious about the result. :rolleyes:

PotPlayer gets an exception for this video clip with all drivers after 22.5.1:

Exception.jpg

Maybe MPC-HC 1.9.22 has better exception handling because it doesn't display any errors but it doesn't play the video with DXVA hardware acceleration. It looks like it handles the DXVA error and switches to software decoding quietly.

Of course, I can play many other video clips without problems. Before downloading this clip accidentally, I thought that everything is ok with the recent drivers. 2 hours ago I tested 22.5.1 and the problem disappeared.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  3. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900 XTX
    I dunno about you guys, but I'm playing Call of Duty 1, an OpenGL 1 game, in 4K120 with ReShade's MXAO.

Game looks surprisingly decent still, for being on id Tech 3.

I'm clearing my 2000s military shooter backlog.

AsiJu and Blisk like this.
  4. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    The last three drivers (including 22.8.1) have been flawless for my desktop and laptop. Been installing the drivers through the in driver update tool while specifically not using DDU because AMD claims their software testing program is better than nVidia's now so I thought I would put it to the test. Definitely seems like they are telling truth as 22.6.1 / 22.7.1 / 22.8.1 have all installed through the auto-update function just fine with no issues on my 6800 XT desktop and 6800M laptop both running Windows 10 x64 Pro.

Looks like AMD has really come a long way with their drivers!

AsiJu and HD64G like this.

5. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    My question about vsync was more intended for people that reported video playback issues with youtube...like audio lag and system hangs.

I downloaded that file and played it in potplayer with no issues.
    Clipboard01.jpg

6. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    Really? With no issues and WITHOUT DXVA acceleration. I can play it too with software decoding. o_O

P.S. I just encoded 2 sample AV1 videos with Handbrake. One 8-bit, and another 10-bit. DXVA hardware acceleration doesn't work with both of them. So the bits don't matter. Whole AV1 decoding is broken in the drivers after 22.5.1.

7. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    Does this mean that I use DXVA acceleration ? Tell me if my setup uses software decoding and I need to change something.
    upload_2022-8-15_23-28-8.png upload_2022-8-15_23-28-43.png

8. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    HD64G likes this.
  9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Playback on MPC-BE x64 1.63 + MadVR 0.92.17 Radeon 22.8.1 Video Profile: Custom

No error in video playback, 5700 XT
    HDR coloring is just gorgeous in that video, btw. :)

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I usually do simple Upgrade installs until there is a new build revision. Then I use the installer's Factory Reset and have it save my settings. I haven't touched DDU in a long time.

11. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    I think most of you just miss the point. The whole discussion is about the broken hardware acceleration/decoding of AV1 in the drivers after 22.5.1. Software decoding works fine. MPC-BE 1.63 doesn't use DXVA for AV1 clips. I don't know if it's because the player just skips the error and switches to software decoding as a backup variant, or the video decoder of the player doesn't support hardware acceleration for AV1 at all (just like the old versions of PotPlayer).

All players have no problem with the software decoding of AV1.

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Threw MPC-BE into EVR Custom, and changed internal decoder to use DXVA2 Preferred, works, tested with internal decoder, and disabled the internal decoder and used OS.

13. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    Yup... I get the same error with the new version. Back to the my old version because... the old version works just fine for me. Let us know when they fix it.

14. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    The same trick works with PotPlayer too. If we choose old decoding and old renderer. I have commented this already in post#28

You can just disable AV1 hardware acceleration in the new version until AMD fixes the driver (the setting in the right red rectangle on my screenshot should be "Disable" just like for MPEG4). ;)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    illusiveman likes this.
  15. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    I succeeded to use AV1 hardware acceleration (D3D11) with PotPlayer and MPC-BE just using LAV Video Decoder as an external filter.

LavVideoDecoder.jpg

For sure AMD has changed something in the driver after 22.5.1 so they broke PotPlayer internal decoder. Now we have to wait until PotPlayer will adapt its own internal decoder to the new drivers or AMD will ensure backward compatibility.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    illusiveman likes this.

16. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    playing AVC 1080p just fine on RDNA2 (6700 XT) and mpc-hc 1.9.22. It works fine with DXVA native, I noticed that while GCN had video decode queue busy along with 3d code a copy queue, rdna 2 uses the video codec 0 queue instead of the decode and the 3d queue.

17. HD64G

HD64G Active Member

GPU:
    SapphireRX6750ΧΤ
    I don't know why you think the new DX11 driver elements do not work with RDNA gen 1. In my case The Witcher 3 got from 130 to 140FPS in the exact same scene that I use for test just after the update to the preview 22.5.2 driver that had those enhancements for DX11.

18. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black

I never said I didn't think it wouldn't work, jusy said its BS there isn't offical support yet from AMD.

HD64G likes this.
  19. astarte.zeno

astarte.zeno Member

GPU:
    RX 5700XT
    I like performance of this driver.
    No idea what amd changed but it clearly boosts higher in same games. For me biggest difference is overwatch.
    With 22.8.1. it didn't hover around 1200Mhz in gameplay but boosted to 1900MHz and stayed there.
    On the dark side, I didn't expiriance so many BSOD's and system hangs since first wave of bad rx5700XT drivers.
    So I'm back to 22.7.1

20. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    IIRC the current WU packages are slightly different
    Have you considered the idea that PotPlayer devs broke their internal filter and it is THEY who need to update their product? Esp since using an older version WORKS on newer drivers, and also that LAV also works just fine? And that other apps also work just fine?

PrEzi likes this.