Alone in the Dark Remake

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by OnnA, Aug 12, 2022.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Game’s key features so far:
    • Explore Derceto’s mansion in this revisit of Alone in the Dark, a true love letter to the 90s horror classic
    • Go back to the roots of psychological horror. Experience an atmospheric adventure worthy of the game that founded the genre
    • Immerse yourself in a world punctuated by sounds that will give you goosebumps against a backdrop of doom jazz as memorable as it is hypnotic
    • Feel the adrenaline as you desperately try to survive a world where reality is beginning to crumble, evil lurks in every shadow, and ammunition is scarce
    • Experience this nightmare from the perspective of Emily Hartwood or Edward Carnby. Unearth the dark secrets of a Gothic mansion
    • Go beyond imagination through a complex psychological story written by cult screenwriter Mikael Hedberg, author of SOMA and Amnesia.
    Some screens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPD.1

Following the rumors started a few days ago by insider The Snitch, THQ Nordic confirmed that a new Alone in the Dark game has been in development since late 2019 by Pieces Interactive, the Swedish studio behind the Titan Quest: Ragnarök expansion for Titan Quest Anniversary Edition.
    THQ Nordic acquired the IP from Atari alongside Act of War in September 2018.

This new Alone in the Dark game is a reimagining of the very first franchise installment released in 1992. Players will return to Derceto Manor, a mental hospital for the wealthy located in 1920s countryside Louisiana. Just like in the original game, there will be two playable protagonists to pick from: Emily Hartwood, whose uncle has gone missing, and private investigator Edward Carnby, who is trying to help her.
    According to THQ Nordic, they'll offer not only different perspectives but also completely different levels and cutscenes. As such, to get the full experience, you might want to play the game twice.

Despite the premise, characters, places, and themes being the same as the 1992 Alone in the Dark, this reimagining will feature a completely original story that is said to have a deep psychological undertone thanks to the writing of Mikael Hedberg (SOMA, Amnesia).
    As it turns out, Jeremy Hartwood is being haunted by a so-called Dark Man, so the main goal will be to find him and help Jeremy against this evil.

Additionally, unlike the original, the reimagined Alone in the Dark will take the two protagonists even beyond Derceto Manor. Our press presentation showed a gloomy cemetery and an oil rig located somewhere in the Bayou.
    We also learned that mysterious portals will open themselves from Derceto Manor into nightmarish realms, with Emily Hartwood and Edward Carnby forced to figure out how they are connected to the gothic mansion.

Mechanically, Alone in the Dark will retain the signature elements of a classic third-person survival horror experience. There'll be plenty of exploration to do and challenging puzzles to solve. Combat looked a bit stiff in the footage shown, though the game is still in the Pre-Alpha stage and could receive quite a bit of polish ahead of launch.
    There will be a range of weapons, including melee ones; Emily uses a shotgun, while Edward is equipped with a handgun. Weapons won't always be reliable against some creatures encountered in Alone in the Dark, though, and sometimes players will have to get creative or avoid the enemies altogether if possible.

A Playable Teaser featuring Grace from Alone in the Dark 2 will be playable at Gamescom (at the THQ Nordic Booth, Hall 8 #A10).
    However, Grace won't be playable in the full game (though she will be found in Derceto Manor), and there are no current plans to release this prologue to the wider public.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    emperorsfist and Undying like this.
  2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Alone in the Dark, just the name alone makes me cringe. On the plus side the original had the worse controls of any 3D game ever made.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It is a game that insipired resident evil.

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Indeed. Possibly the first 3D horror game ever made, and it shows. Interesting premise, but flawed in every way. If the remake can balance out what the game should have been like without losing the look and feel of the original, it could be worth a look.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I had a high hopes for that 2008 game but ended up being a dud with alot of technical issues and game breaking bugs. Premise was decent tho.

6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Has there been a remake previously? I never noticed.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  8. coc

coc Maha Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti
    cool news. also, i would like to see some remake to the underrated and amazing - Nightmare Creatures.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Yea, remember it pretty well.

There was a time I played any game available (back in USSR), horror one included: Alone in the dark, Myst, The 7th guest.

PS As a side note: I hate levels with zombies in original Thief: The dark project.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  10. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    ..and another FRESH remake, yay..!

11. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
  12. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It actually looks promising from the trailer.

13. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    Wasn't Sweet Home more of an influence over Resident evil?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    Undying likes this.
  14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    OP Upd. 1

15. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Now this is interesting. I always wanted a remake of the original AitD, since the game is not only really old, but the original has aged quite poorly, thanks to really awkward controls and primitive 3d visuals. I hope they'll deliver. The 2008 game (Inferno) was interesting, but technical issues severely hampered the experience. Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (2000-ish?) was decent.

16. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    A free prologue called "Grace in the Dark" is now available on the game's steam page.

Valken likes this.
  17. bobnewels

bobnewels Maha Guru

GPU:
    amd
    Thanks,going to check out the demo
    I remember having the game on CD and I never installed the game to play it. After having over 1000 CD's I just threw them out in the garbage and went all digital.

EDIT: Nothing interesting or caught my attention after playing the prologue,as of today not a buy for me.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
  18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Get Alone in the Dark Prologue here.

Slave2Games and Darren Hodgson like this.
  19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks for that link otherwise I wouldn't have even known this 'demo' existed.

I installed it this morning and loaded it up to see the Unreal Engine logo on the splash screen. My heart immediately sunk into my stomach as I expected yet another stutter-fest. The good news is that the game is using DX11 so there is no requirement for shaders to be compiled and so there is no stuttering at all from those. The second great thing is that the game has graphics options, including Fullscreen support. Sure, they're the bog-standard UE ones but these go to Epic and even Cinematic for all the settings.

The game also looks really, really good. There are clearly some very talented artists here as although the prologue is literally only 10 minutes long, the area is packed with detail and good texture work. Mirrors even work. They look ray-traced and not the usual UE weird sort where they warp and distort as you approach them. In fact, I'd say that the opening sequence of this game feels reminiscent of the start of The Last of Us Part 1, where you control Sarah and explore parts of a house. I'd say graphically the game is almost on a par with Naughty Dog's so that is very high praise. Everything feels very polished and character models and, especially, faces look great. You only see four characters in total but you get a brief look at two others as they arrive in a car at the end of the prologue and I instantly recognised the male actor as being 'that police guy' from Stranger Things.

There isn't much to do in the demo except walk around and interact with a couple of things but it ends in a way that makes me instantly want to play the full game. Although brief, this seems very, very promising. I did encounter one huge stutter though as I went through a locked door, where the game was clearly loading the assets for the next room and what happens in there but that was all. This also isn't the final build so hopefully those things will be fixed for the final release. The only other gripe I had with the game was that it has no accessibility options so I had to hammer the control buttons for the single QTE sequence instead of just holding down the button. Again, those things might be added to the final game. Also, worth noting is that the game has an uncapped framerate but the cutscenes run at 60 fps otherwise the actual game runs unlocked (I capped it at 120 fps though using RTSS because, as with most games, the game's own framerate limiter has inconsistent frame-pacing).

Definitely check this out. It's only 19 GB which tells you how impressed the asset quality is considering it only lasts 10 minutes. It sets up the final game really nicely, I think. Can't wait for the full release.

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Alone in the Dark Is Out on October 25, Stars David Harbour & Jodie Comer; Prologue Out Now

A few days ago, Wccftech was invited to a presentation that revealed many juicy details about the new Alone in the Dark game.
    First and foremost, its release date is officially scheduled for October 25th on all platforms, and pre-orders are also open.
    Since Remedy just announced that Alan Wake 2 is set to be released the previous week, it sounds like October may turn out fantastic for survival horror fans.

Secondly, the developers have confirmed two first-class actors as the game's protagonists:
    David Harbour (Stranger Things, Black Widow, 2016's Suicide Squad, Hellboy) and Jodie Comer (Killing Eve, The Last Duel, Free Guy) will play Detective Edward Carnby and Emily Hartwood, respectively.

Mikael Hedberg, Game Director and Writer on Alone in the Dark, said the team knew it would need two strong actors given that the story is very character-driven.
    Both actors lent their voices and likenesses to the game and performed facial motion capture.

Darren Hodgson, Lbuipo and Archvile82 like this.