Nvidia Control Panel -- Alternate Source?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Size_Mick, Apr 20, 2020.

1. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    I installed win 11 yesterday, no worries at all

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the error persists through to current unless you take a surgical knife to WindowsApps and its package folders (and have the knowhow / tools to do it)

3. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Hmm. It could be something else is corrupted in the system,. Just taking ownership of the WindowsApps folder shouldn't do that. Did you run the system file checker or the DISM health tool?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-windows-365e0031-36b1-6031-f804-8fd86e0ef4ca

4. Passo's

Passo's Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 XC Ultra
    Yes, dsim do nothing to permissions(like restoring)(wreset neither, it just clean cache)

Like i said, u can PARTIALY FIX, but fully no. Maybe if u have a backup of that folder somewhere to copy.
    That folder have alot of links that can be realy hard to fully restore.
    My windows has fine, i could use uwp apps. But there were some details that annoyed and I formatted (can't create some shortcuts, xbox store sometimes failed to install game)

UWP games have a lot of problems and limitations because that and most of devs skiped uwp system because that.
    It's so bad that on windows 11 store they started putting java/win32/webapps back.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    yes it should.

6. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    It doesn't always seem to, though.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    applying to all sub folders might be the difference

8. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Just in-place upgrade. Fixes everything, loses nothing (but about 15 min).

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it doesn't.

10. DAOWAce

DAOWAce Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Slightly old thread, but..

Good joke. Still people on the latest Win10 version running into UWP garbage issues with the NVCP, and only the NVCP. ie; https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/wis0gp/nvidia_control_panel_windows_cannot_access/

We can only get it working via taking ownership of the folder and running it manually.. which doesn't result in a fully working NVCP (gsync settings broken in my case). I've been forced to run standard drivers ever since DCH first came out, and with the coming 4000 series.. there won't be any standard drivers to drive them.

Yeah.. about that...

Some people really, really hate having their life disrupted by unwanted changes they never asked for which significantly downgrade their entire experience using something they interact with 12-16 hours every single day.

It's people like this that don't upgrade until most of the things they do start completely breaking, then they do it out of sheer frustration. Afterwards they're then constantly reminded many multiple times per day why they never wanted to 'upgrade', which further compounds into more reluctance (hatred/anger) to ever change again.

Been like this with me since Vista. I dread the day I'm forced to be subjected to W11. Might seriously consider moving to Linux instead.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
    Deleted member 282649 likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  12. I've done dozens of installs of NVIDIA drivers on 10 LTSC with a 3060 and never ran into any problem with the control panel installing and launching with all DCH drivers. I've used official NVIDIA drivers, self-slimmed drivers, and slimmed drivers from that Clean driver thread here.

I believe something else may be interfering, instead of it being the fault of DCH.

That's how I felt with LTSC 1809 for a while. It was much more tolerable than whatever the latest Windows 10 version was before 21H1, but I ran into a few things that expected a newer Windows version. Eventually I ended up using the latest 10 release and had to adapt some more tweaks to get rid of some things.

Now everything is fine with LTSC 21H1, and I expect it'll remain that way for as long as 10 is still supported :) I have no reason to use a regular edition of 10, and 11 is out of the question until devs provide a consistent VR experience apparently outside of WMR (Oculus V43 was still malfunctioning on 11 last month with rolling dropped compositor frames).

I'd very likely be on 7 right now though if Oculus supported Quest 2 there, or if ALVR worked well enough :p

Cave Waverider likes this.
  13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I am less annoyed by windows since i stop messing with services and doing tweaks and or removed majority of apps it installs i will never use.

As for DCH I converted to DCH driver few months back with 512.15, the control panel installed fine and did threw the drivers install setup, as far as i am aware it didnt get installed via store, cause i was disconnected from internet when installed them and the control panel was there before I did my obligated reboot, which when I plug in my network cable again.

Smough likes this.
  14. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    So, because you hate change, instead of changing to Windows 11, you will change to Linux, which is even bigger change.

That makes perfect sense.

15. BmB23

BmB23 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    It may be possible to extract the appx package and sideload it to avoid ms store.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is already how the driver does things.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  17. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    only if you know what you are doing.

18. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    1. dont touch WindowsApps folder permissions. I did this multiple times, and i got burned every time. Now i just leave it alone, and it works.

2. you aren't supposed to back up gamepass games, that's literally the point of locking down the folder. If you have the subscription, you can run a repair on the install. If you cancel, you shouldnt expect the games to keep working. Annoying, but that's how it works. If you want to modify config files or something else, all of those games basically store that stuff in %appdata% or other spots that you can reach. If you are DETERMINED to break things, most gamepass games get the encryption key cracked somewhere online, and you can get a tool that will dump the folder on your computer in the place of your choosing.

3. all that being said, microsoft can be super annoying without how they mount the games as separate encrypted disks (you can see it in event manager, mounting/unmounting sometimes). A side effect of this is that if you are playing a game, and microsoft decided to mount/unmount a volume in the background, the plug and play can make some games lose connection to a gamepad (and suddenly the controller stops working in the game you are playing)

4. avoiding windows store just doesn't make sense. It works perfectly fine in the background. If you are doing it to avoid telemetry, switch to another OS.

5. Nvidia's DCH drivers work the same as legacy. Only the control panel part gets installed from MS Store. This is the future, microsoft is forcing nvidia to do this.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the vdx unmount should not cause a controller to disconnect.