Virtual reality fps mystery?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Nicholas Bond, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Nicholas Bond

Nicholas Bond Active Member

GPU:
    Rx6900xt
    Hi I have a tech question and I'm not too sure how to find the answer.

Playing around with my vr setup and amd gpu the other day trying to get the best out of it I noticed that even when my vr fps counter in the headset is saying a solid 90fps the amd metrics is saying 200+fps and this continues even if I use the fps lock in game or in amd software. I have been able to briefly get it to stay at 90fps using chill but that'll only hold for 30 seconds or so before busting trough back up too 200+.

Is my gpu wasting vital resource creating frames I'm not using is my concern?

Any light you can shed on this would be fab

2. What VR headset do you have, and can you reproduce this with multiple apps? Also if you have a spectator window and are running the game through Steam, if you enable Steam's FPS overlay, does it also report high FPS on the spectator window?

3. Nicholas Bond

Nicholas Bond Active Member

GPU:
    Rx6900xt
    I have the hp reverb g2 headset And don't currently run it through steam, I use open composite and the open xr toolkit which has a fps display which doesn't go above the 90 fps the headset wants when in game, also the games fps monitor shows it upto 90 fps.

I only use the headset for assetto corsa running with content manager. But that is a good point maybe I should try another game to see if the same still happens.

Thing is even with in game fps limit set a 90 fps it is still going way over in the amd metrics