Latest Nvidia Drivers trigger multiple WMI Errors on PC startup and wake up!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BLaZiNgSPEED, Aug 7, 2022.

1. BLaZiNgSPEED

BLaZiNgSPEED New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 960 4GB
    Hello,

I haven't posted in these forums in over a decade.

I have posted this question on the official Nvidia forums last year and also on the tenforums.

I'm on the final build version of Windows 10 1903. However, I know this error is related to graphics card drivers and not the OS as previously with a newer version of Windows 10 and latest Nvidia drivers would cause these WMI Errors in WMI-Activity folder of the Event Viewer.

So basically while I have my Windows 10 1903 set to Specify Target 1903. After 8 months of being with Windows 10 1903 having 432.00 Nvidia Graphics Card drivers for my Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB.

Microsoft seemed to have auto updated my graphics card drivers to 512.15 (March 2022) drivers and this WMI Error has returned immediately following those driver updates. [​IMG]
    Id = {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}; ClientMachine = DESKTOP-TJVRPR9; User = NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM; ClientProcessId = 1500; Component = Unknown; Operation = Start IWbemServices::ExecQuery - root\wmi : Select * from NvWmiBrightness; ResultCode = 0x8004100C; PossibleCause = Unknown

Id = {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}; ClientMachine = DESKTOP-TJVRPR9; User = NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM; ClientProcessId = 2280; Component = Unknown; Operation = Start IWbemServices::ExecQuery - root\wmi : select * from WDMClassesOfDriver where Driver = "C:\\Windows\\system32\\drivers\\ndis.sys[MofResourceName]" and (HighDateTime != 0 or LowDateTime != 0); ResultCode = 0x80041032; PossibleCause = Unknown

When monitor returns from sleep mode, it will trigger these errors.

Id = {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}; ClientMachine = DESKTOP-TJVRPR9; User = NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM; ClientProcessId = 2012; Component = Unknown; Operation = Start IWbemServices::ExecQuery - ROOT\CIMV2 : SELECT Manufacturer FROM Win32_ComputerSystem ; ResultCode = 0x80041032; PossibleCause = Unknown

Id = {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}; ClientMachine = DESKTOP-TJVRPR9; User = NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM; ClientProcessId = 1500; Component = Unknown; Operation = Start IWbemServices::ExecQuery - ROOT\CIMV2 : SELECT Caption FROM Win32_OperatingSystem; ResultCode = 0x80041032; PossibleCause = Unknown

These errors all point to the Nvidia Graphics Card Control Panel being the culprit as disabling the control panel does stop the errors.

When I was on 432.00 Nvidia drivers, this problem never occurred, ever. This was one of the reasons why I never updated my graphics card drivers beyond version 432 as this error will get triggered with newer drivers.

I know that if I do system restore or downgrade the drivers the errors will stop. But Windows 10 will upgrade the drivers again automatically. I did not expect that this will happen. I thought my version will remain on 432.00. But Microsoft forced upgraded the drivers via Windows update.

I know driver uninstaller with Safe Mode will not work as I have already made this experiment previously without any luck.

Anyone knows what are triggering those errors in the WMI-Activity Folder of Event Viewer? Also WMI Provider Host WmiPrvSE.exe will not leave Task Manager. It will constantly run in the background following the error trigger at startup.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no they don't.

3. S3r1ous

S3r1ous Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700
    Everything logged isnt necessary an error, it could be some incompatibility thing etc. What is the real effect of these things? Are these just warnings or something more? Do you notice anything different?

4. BLaZiNgSPEED

BLaZiNgSPEED New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 960 4GB
    Hello, these are errors that show up in the WMI-Activity folder of the Event Viewer every single time. They happen at PC boot up pointing to NvWmiBrightness that's the trigger. Also when my screen wakes up from sleep, there will be one more few errors before they stop eventually.

I'm not experiencing any other adverse effects. However, it triggers an extra WmiPrvSE.exe to continuously run in the background that only disappears when another WMI activity occurs.

The thing is, when I was on Nvidia 432.00 drivers none of these errors ever triggered for 8 months since having my Windows 10 freshly reinstalled in December 2021! My Event Viewer for the WMI-Activity Folder was error-free. Upgraded to 512.15 and this started happening.

The moment Windows 10 upgraded the drivers via Windows Update the day before yesterday, these started to emerge.

The processes indeed point to the Nvidia Control Panel. If I disable the Nvidia Control Panel (NVDisplay.ContainerLocalSystem) then of-course the errors stop. But I won't have the custom game profiles without the control panel.

I enquired because I want to know if others are experiencing the same errors in WMI-Activity. Or whether it is specific to the GTX 960 GPU. Most people will not know that they have these errors, because they are hidden in that particular folder of the Event Viewer. Normal Administrative events doesn't have errors.

5. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Have you tried the latest driver from Nvidia (516.94), generally I'd try those over whatever MS puts into Windows update.

6. CYP3ORG

CYP3ORG Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2060
    I mean... what did you expect from using an outdated version of Windows 10? Not all drivers are tested on a variety of system versions, of which there are plenty in the case of Windows 10.

Just clean install 22H2, pop the newest drivers and carry on with your day...

I'm currently running W10 22H2 on my main workstation, 516.94 and I am yet to see the EID you are experiencing.

7. BLaZiNgSPEED

BLaZiNgSPEED New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 960 4GB
    Apologies for the delay in responding. I upgraded my monitor last week to a 27 inch AOC Gaming Q27G2S - 27 Inch QHD Monitor, 165Hz from my 7 year old 28 Inch Samsung U28E590 4K 60Hz monitor. I wanted to test if the errors do occur and they still do.

However, I have found an alternative solution. I downloaded Nvidia Profile Inspector and realized I can actually set custom 3D game profiles using this tool instead without any errors at all! The Nvidia Control Panel I set to Manual start! Best of all the settings remain saved! I forced anti aliasing in BabasChess and another old game Carrom 2007 as an experiment and the forced anti aliasing remain saved.

This means that the Nvidia Control Panel is not required to run in the background at all times as the 3D Game Profile settings are internally saved in the system without the need for it to run in the background! I wished I knew this earlier!

The monitor 10-bit colour mode is also saved in the system as part of the 2K resolution!

So far no errors at all. So it is actually not the drivers that are the problem, but the latest Nvidia Control Panel that is only triggering the errors.

Actually it has nothing to do with the Windows 10 version being outdated as I had this problem back in November 2021 when I upgraded to Windows 10 20H2 as I posted in https://www.tenforums.com/graphic-c...-nvidia-display-driver-since-20h2-update.html

Another user happens to have exactly the same issue. But at that time I thought it was latest Windows 10 that was causing the problem. It was a coincidence as Windows also upgraded the Nvidia drivers. Downgrading the Nvidia drivers resolved the problem at that time but I had new problems such as telemetry not remaining disabled with latest Windows 10.

So that's why I returned back to 1903 because 20H2 and above doesn't let you disable telemetry! Device Management Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) Push message Routing Service does not remain disabled on latest versions of Windows 10. So I downgraded back to 1903 as that lets you disable telemetry. Microsoft changed something that makes it impossible to properly disable telemetry in the latest versions of Windows 10.

Anyway, I found the link to the resolution of the Event ID 5858 errors https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/system-management-components/wmi-activity-event-5858-logged-with-resultcode-0x80041032

Resolution
    The WMI client application should be modified to issue calls to IEnumWbemClassObject::Next to retrieve the full result set, before releasing the IWbemContext object. If no objects are received, make sure that the timeout value (lTimeout) is greater than 0 and that WBEM_S_TIMEDOUT (0x40004) is not being returned.

The only problem is that I do not know how to modify this timeout value. This will probably resolve the error. However, if the NVIDIA Display Container LS is not needed I can have it set to disabled/manual start and use Nvidia Profile Inspector instead.

No errors when I use the Nvidia Profile Inspector. Unless I'm actually missing something, I'm not losing anything not having the NVIDIA Display Container LS set to Automatic am I?

8. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    one of those events involves ndis.sys which is not video related (its network related).

You can try disabling "Network Devices -> WAN Miniport (Network Monitor)" and see if it gets rid of the ndis.sys event. (i have had this specific device disabled over a year with no ill effect; ndis.sys was causing a high amount of DPC latency for me).

Who knows, maybe it might trigger more if windows is checking up on ndis and doesnt see it running, lol.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the control panel isn't set to auto start in the first place