RDNA2 RX6000 Series Owners Thread, Tests, Mods, BIOS & Tweaks !

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by OnnA, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    everything you just wrote is a conspiracy created on the AMD reddit.

the only vendor actually (with evidence) caught out selling to miners was MSI, and what MSI does with its stock has nothing to do with anything Nvidia does with its FE boards.

good job at also ignoring the context of the sentence too, that being that AIB's were creating artificial scarcity by stock piling cards and short stocking wholesalers.

The lawsuit (an SEC suit) had nothing to do with Ampere stock what so ever, it was a frivolous bullshit suit about a lack of transparency (an impossible thing to factor actually) on the amount of GPU's that wound up in crypto specific configurations

or in laymans terms, they got sued by a moron government body that wanted nvidia to make assumptions and try to quantify what chips were bought by consumers for gaming and which were bought for crypto

Which is an impossible ask after the chips leave nvidia's hands and are received by the board vendor, nvidia has no part or say in final device usage and the driver doesn't do any telemetry to give them solid numbers.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    Deleted member 282649 likes this.
  2. I reset my BIOS options and all of a sudden my BIOS and initial boot screen had black replaced with green. This persisted through multiple CMOS resets and a battery-pull. It wasn't until the OS booted that this was fixed, presumably by loading something to the GPU. I never saw this happen with multiple RX 580s, a RTX 3060, and probably a dozen BIOS resets with the 6600 XT on this same board.

Is there any explanation as to what exactly happened? I would have assumed cold boots to fully reset the GPU.

3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Well check this out, for no reason my PC booted but didnt see the GPU (6900xt) Tried cold boots then checked into the Device Manager, saw it, uninstalled it from there, reinstalled it from there, reboot and now all is fine, i wonder if it was something to do with the recent Bios/GPU Driver/Chipset driver update. Anyways all working perfectly again now, very odd

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    your reset turned on CSM, modern radeons don't support legacy boot.

pegasus1 likes this.

5. It persisted even when I configured BIOS and disabled CSM and cold-booted. I thought for sure that would fix it, but nope :p

This has also never happened before, ever, and I've had this GPU in CSM mode plenty of times after BIOS resets.

6. GeRmAnOs

GeRmAnOs Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6950XT
    They do, i was on setup with 6600xt and legacy bios/boot with my fx8320&990FXA and i see no problems at all with it.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    they don't, any card that does is a deviation from reference.

i don't know of any 990 motherboards that weren't UEFI.

8. I have my 6600 XT in a Phenom II X4 motherboard currently (M4A87TD EVO) and it works fine there too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2022
    Embra and GeRmAnOs like this.
  9. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    I have a deviation it seems.

10. deserteagle777

deserteagle777 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX6600 Armor 8G
    Hello everyone !

So the gpu that I acuired some time ago has BIOS that was modified by an original owner for a RIG . While I beleive it was nice for his application , it is literally impossible to use this GPU in a PC which stands on a table , since fans are ramping up to cruel 3500 RPM right after 50 degrees celsius mark

The gpu itself works absolutely fine without any issues but this fan profile just kills me. Using MSI afterburner isn't an option sadly

So I would like to ask this awesome community to share original stock BIOS for this particular GPU if anyone has it

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Card/Radeon-RX-6600-ARMOR-8G/Specification

Thank you in advance and have a great day !

11. I would recommend contacting MSI on their forum for the VBIOS. They'll likely ask for the GPU's serial but not proof-of-purchase or dates. I haven't tried this for years since I had a HD 7850 though so I'm not sure if they ever changed their policy about this.

Alternatively, it seems like one of these VBIOS files will work for the ARMOR 8G:

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/242962/242962
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/240947/240947
    https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/244118/244118

The differences on that page are with one being 113-MSITV502MH.211 and the other two being 113-MSITV502MH.250 with different checksums. I would go with whatever matches the GPU's current VBIOS version.

12. deserteagle777

deserteagle777 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX6600 Armor 8G
    Thank you for help ,but it didn't work for me , i've tried all of BIOSes you've linked to me .

It looks like this specific model has weird factory fan curve

Anyone reading this please avoid this model at any cost

13. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Hey guys just got an Radeon™ RX 6750 XT and it performs pretty good but fans are maxing out ?! The core temp is around 65-67 C and the junction 100-110 C should be ok I guess ... but its loud as hell and the clocks in game are around 2750-2850 MHz sometimes they go to 2900+ (since I've maxed the sliders in Andrenalin) and its starts to artifact a bit. The power consumption is 230-250W most of the times. I also tried with the card on defaults no OC no undervolt no anything and its the same. Are these cards supposed to work like this ? I mean the only thing that throttles it down is the junction temp when it goes above 112-113 it throttles down a bit to 2750 or 2800 for example then it picks up again....

14. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Junction temp at a 110+ seems a little bit too much.
    I would RMA that card.
    Could be that the thermal paste is either badly applied or already pumped out.

15. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    I've read several reviews that around 100-110 is fine not sure what to say I've been monitoring it and it fluctuates from 100-110 most of the times.

The card is brand new just received today. The performance is good in all games and scores well in bechmarks and so on. The question I have left is it supposed to use fans at around 3000rpm ? its a triple fan card and the max I've seen with power limit at +15% was 3500 rpm (I think its the max speed for the fans). If I leave everything on default in the performance tab its goes around 2500-3000 rpm depending on game/settings and so on.

16. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Try setting the voltage and clocks manually, i dont know anybody who runs these cards and doesnt undervolt. Look online for some undervolting guides.
    Higher settings and voltages rarely (if ever) mean better performance on the 6*** series, my 6900xt will run just fine at 2600mhz with a significant undervolt and therefore reduction in temps.

17. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Will try that today ! I’ve tried 1.15 and 1.1 but with overclocking (too high) and it artifacted or chrashed have to try use undervolt only with no oc. The difference in 30-50 mhz at 2000mhz is too little to count. You are right … I will try to undervolt and do more testing

18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I had issues on Metro EE with anything over 2.3ghz irrespective of voltages, I thought it was just a game issue, then I installed this latest driver and I can run at 2.6ghz

19. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Hmm, not enough pressure on the GPU cooler.
    Simplest way would be to do a washer mod.
    It's not really hard to do. I used silicon washers on my previous card (6900XTX) and that decreased hotspot temperature by 15C.
    You can loose warranty (depends in which country you live) if you remove warranty sticker, which is present on one of the screws.
    Otherwise you need to RMA.

[​IMG]

Deleted member 282649 likes this.
  20. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    I need to find some washers but the problem is one screw has a sticker on it for warranty ... I hate these things. It could be bad or badly applied thermal compound ? Maybe ... still need to lose the warranty to figure this one out :)

OK I lost the warranty torn the card apart ... direct heatpipes copper on GPU die ... they were not perfect (far from it actually). I took my time and sanded them down a bit ! went ok and applied some Artic Silver MX4 (I had some Thermal Grizzly liquid metal but decided not go for it since there was aluminium around ...)

The temps are a little bit better GPU is 55-60 and hotspot or junction is 105-110 still the same but in few cases 5 degress C lower.

The card working fine phew :) but it has a mind of its own since it found some head room with junction temp now it boosts higher until junction gets to 110 then everything repeats.

I guess the only way to calm it down is water cooling or I can limit power/frequencies.

At least I tried :D

I think this Gigabyte has the most aggressive bios towards higher frequencies or all 6000 series do the same ?!

L.E. very stubborn cards these are ... I undervolted to 1.1 guess what ? goes even higher in clocks and fan still ramps up ... I will limit fan speed and power I guess

Fan control doesnt work :))))) at least from Adrenalin ...

I've installed the great MSI Afterburner and it worked ! (as expected). BUT WOW I belived 3500 rpm is the 100% setting for this fan but no..... 4500 I feel like it takes off when I put it at that speed what a funny card !!!

Water blocks not available warranty gone I will go ghetto mode on this one with 2x12cm fans with high static pressure ! I believe high static pressure is what I need here ... and it will become silent eventually ;)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    pegasus1 likes this.