Samsung SSD 990 PRO Sighted, PCIe Gen5

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 2, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Samsung is drafting a regulatory filing for its 990 PRO client-segment SSD of the next generation. The M.2 NVMe storage device will utilize PCI-Express Gen 5....

Samsung SSD 990 PRO Sighted, PCIe Gen5

2. LEEc337

LEEc337 Member Guru

GPU:
    Team Green 960
    More speed Mr Sulu

3. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    I wonder if gen 5 M.2 SSDs will be the generation where NAND controllers can reach 100MB/S 4KQ1T1?

I have a feeling that we will be on gen 5 for quite some time so I bet it happens.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    4k speeds are bottlenecked by the IO apis and cpu processing them.

5. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Thats not true. Go look at Intels P5800x optane drive. Its pulling down 4-5x the 4K random IO numbers. We are nowhere near a bottleneck with current flash drives. Sure there is overhead and being able to do direct IO etc will be great but the IO API's or CPU's are not why 4K random IO is so low on current flash tech.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    those optane drive results are not aquired on windows, where 4k single thread speeds ARE cpu bound.

7. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    There are plenty of Windows based reviews of the P5800X and it gets those same high 4K random reads with a queue depth of 1. One example but there are many. That is to say we certainly are not CPU limited with the current flash drives as they are not touching these speeds. The current flash drives are all 4 to 5 times slower than this at RND4K Q1T1 reads.
    Intel Optane DC P5800X PCIe 4 NVME SSD Review - SSD Perfection Via Throughput, IOPS and Latency | The SSD Review

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    nosirrahx likes this.
  8. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Maybe I'm a dinosaur here, but I'm perfectly happy with what I have, M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen 3 drives. Heck, even my gaming rig with 4x SATS HDDs load games fast enough for me.

But then, I'm just a gamer, or still trying to be though I'm getting on in age, and I've done no productivity work with my rigs....unless you count ripping Blurays and music as productivity activities that is.

9. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    If that was the case, then Optane and NAND would have identical performance on the same system. Optane has 3 to 4 times the 4KQ1T1 performance.

I've tested this quite a bit, NAND is the bottleneck.

[​IMG]

JamesSneed likes this.
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If that makes you a dinosaur, I'm some primordial rotifer because I'm fine with SATA SSDs for gaming purposes. Not that I'm against something a little faster, but loading times are hardly an issue for me. Though, I'm starting to run out of space so I may get a separate NVMe drive whenever I upgrade next.

11. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    that was broken a long time ago
    [​IMG]

12. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Meanwhile Intel has been killing off Optane, so I assume no actual Optane PCIe 5 NVMe SSDs will be released for comparison :(

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    eh, i am fine with 830 and 960 evo, i not intrested those speeds less prices drop drastically on them and there heat output drastically reduced

Sata SSD are still imo to expensive per gb, 2gb nvme are no longer 400$ not much lower but it a start i guess, i would never go back to hdd cause i dont want to hear noises HDD make, the day these drive are available at hdd price per gb is day i crap pants on purpose.

14. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    I don't know how they test, because Guru3D does not get those numbers and neither do I when I test SSDs. What version of CDM do they use?

When I test SSDs (and what I see in other online testing) is that 80 - 90 MB/S is top tier 4KQ1T1 for NAND.

EDIT:

980 pro crystaldiskmark - Google Search

15. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    The technology has too many negatives:

no one wants super small M.2 SSDs just for fast 4KQ1T1
    Optane drives that combined both blazing 4KQ1T1 and blazing sequential were top tier GFX card expensive
    capacity to price ratio was terrible
    larger drives were still small and only available in U.2 and PCIe card options
    setting up a reasonable Optane cache setup was locked to specific Intel setups only and required both setup in BIOS and with software making Optane only right for enthusiasts
    Intel never created a unified NAND + Optane product where the caching was handled on controller making the drive functional on all M.2 NVMe equipped systems

16. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    FULL DirectStorage use will be the real I/O game changer in the future.

Undying likes this.
  17. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Diminishing returns. I have 980 Pro PCIE4 as a boot drive and 870 QVO SATA as storage. I installed some games for laughs onto "slow" 870 QVO and turns out loading times and performance is pretty much identical to 980 Pro.

Venix likes this.
  18. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I have a Gen3 MP400 Corsair 4tb m.2 and it's fast, not gen4 speeds but come on everything is still pretty much instant. Even boot times are like 5-6 seconds and games load fast.

Do you really need a drive @ 10000MB/s reads over a 3500MB/s one. I would stop worrying about speeds so much and concentrate on endurance, temps and better controllers/caches.

I bought this drive about a year ago for £600 and now it's £500. It's still stupid money for a gen3 drive.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    Venix likes this.
  19. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    What do you mean not much lower ?
    You can get 2tb nvme SSD for about 150 bucks for the El cheapo ones like :
    Crucial P2SSD 2TB M.2 NVMe PCI Express 3
    https://www.skroutz.gr/s/25032599/Crucial-P2-SSD-2TB-M-2-NVMe-PCI-Express-3-0-CT2000P2SSD8.html
    And you can get a Samsung 980 pro for 263 bucks
    https://www.skroutz.gr/s/32733839/S...2TB-M-2-NVMe-PCI-Express-4-0-MZ-V8P2T0CW.html

I also want prices to go down , but 40~60% bellow 400 bucks does not classify for much :p?

I

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that still way to much imo, to each there own if one got the money to burn

Venix likes this.