Nvidia GPU news, leaks and rumors

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by UnrealGaming, Jul 20, 2020.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I mean, thinking about it, it gets people to buy more mid tier cards ultimately. I guess that's the pocket magician's trick to sell more cards with only making other alternatives worse.

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    And making the next tier down insignificantly slower so that tier becomes the de facto success.

3. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Apparently. Although I have to say, it sounds not that logical, but I guess the numbers of the business people sitting on top of the engineers would disagree.

4. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Look at the current RTX4070Ti leak. Psychological marketing that immediately makes consumers aware that it's as powerful as an RTX3090Ti. That causes people to think that that's the card for them as it provides enough performance for their needs at a cheaper price. That's powerful marketing right there.

The next step is another leak emphasizing how much more powerful the RTX4080 is versus the RTX3090Ti (which will be the minimum card for those who've maxed out on last gen). Without these cards even releasing, the average enthusiast will immediately understand what they're looking at. I know I certainly do. Mental rankings of these gpus already ingrained in my brain lol.

5. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You are of course right, and I do see the sense behind "leaks" and all of that noise. But that doesn't have to say they need to have a 2000USD card immediately replaced by a card for a third of it's price in the next generation. That's what I was specifically referring to. The whole marketing could have been successful too if they "only" had the 4080 bypass the 3090, and not already the 4070. That's what's off in my own opinion.

As you mention "average enthusiast", which by itself is a paradox, I claim, the enthusiast either buys top dog no matter what, or is an average GPU buyer... who makes his decisions dependant on facts, performance, benchmarks, price and availability. The average GPU buyer, at least in my own humble understanding of my own plans to handle the upcoming GPU upgrade, will then consider buying the mid tier card, and keeping it that way if Nvidia keeps up those alleged performance gaps between generations, especially since the 4070TI you mentioned will be enough to sensibly drive 4K...
    My point is, what is Nvidia's move on the 50 gen? Make the "5070" again bypass the 4090? If so, never buy a top dog product again. If not, they effectively lose sales next gen, I believe. Might be wrong of course, but nobody will buy a 2000USD "5090" if it can't reasonably surpass a 4090... which makes me personally seriously reconsider my intention to spend 2000EUR on the next GPU since I already skipped a generation on purpose.

I guess Lisa Su wasn't wrong with reminding people on Bloomberg some 8 months or so ago that GPUs are a cyclical business. And this is not a flame post but to reasonably tickle out what we might think about Nvidia's marketing and what their plan is... maybe the 4070 is only a good buy compared to 30 gen cards but again horrible compared to the 50 gen... but how do they want to top that technically? I honestly doubt that a chiplet design on the 50 gen will bring as big of a performance jump as there is between 40 and 50 gen, if leaks are even accurate.

6. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    They will keep on this path for 5000 series if it's technically feasible. 2nm is here, so, there's perhaps 2 generations of hardware left before we're maxed-out using single dies and then it's refinements that'll make the difference. Chiplet design will hinge on the interconnect technology (which I believe AMD might have the edge right now?).

Price-wise, just buy what you can afford. It's the world of PC technology. It's out-of-date as soon as you buy it, but, that doesn't mean you can't make the most of it. I personally feel that early adopting maximizes the money I spent by having that hardware run for the longest possible time.

fantaskarsef and A M D BugBear like this.
  7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah, nodes and how many are still "left" is a good point. While I do believe they will go chiplets at some point, I too think they will have to figure some stuff out still. AMD might have the advantage, but I believe Nvidia hasn't bought Mellanox solely for data center purposes, and they are constantly working on NVlink I guess.
    But yes, ultimately you're right, buy what one can afford and make the most out of it. Which was what brought me towards buying higher tier cards anyway. I share your sentiment on early adopting, hence I bought into RT with the 2080TI aswell.

Stormyandcold likes this.
  8. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    His leaks are all over the place. So 4070 is now what 4070ti should be?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    -Tj- likes this.
  10. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    very good specs if true

pharma likes this.

11. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Hope so!

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    499$ for a 3090ti performance level? Count me in unless nvidia try to swap tiers and 4070 gets a bump in price.

13. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    I payed 925 euro for my RTX 3080 so prob be cheaper with the RTX 4070 but we will see

14. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Dude has "leaked" so many different specs, one of them is bound to hit the target.

Maddness, HandR and -Tj- like this.
  15. Stormyandcold

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    That's how they get you, but, that's next-gen for you.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Big power reduction.

pharma likes this.
  17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Every day new leaks. :D

Looks more reasonable now. Lets just hope performance targets didnt get reductions too.

Maddness likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    4070 shouldn't be above 250w for reference.

19. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    If it's around the 500 to 600 US mark, it should be a great card.

20. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -