Help Request: Frametime displays wrong value when capped with RTSS, but not the Driver limiter

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by BlindBison, Jul 8, 2022.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

MSI AB includes segment of memory reserved by NVIDIA driver for internal needs into total videomemory usage, RTSS displays it without that driver reserved chunk. So it will always be couple hundred MB lower (with a constant delta).

BlindBison likes this.
  2. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Aah, OK that explains a lot -- thank you very much, that's helpful. I think I'm more interested in the "Total GPU VRAM Usage" including Nvidia's reserve so I may opt for the MSI approach then (Edit: on second thought perhaps not as that would be the only thing I'd have Afterburner installed for).

Thanks! I suppose either approach works fine though, one would just need to be cognizant that your target (assuming an 8 gig card) is more like 7.5 gigs rather than 8 or some such if using the RTSS built in monitor I expect over the MSI one.

I found that difference and was just a bit confused as one of my game was filling 7.3 gigs or so of VRAM via the RTSS VRAM usage indicator yet was still getting VRAM maxed related stutter at that value (the MSI version reported near max VRAM) so I assume it's that extra memory chunk that Nvidia reserves coming into play. Interestingly I don't' think Windows Task Manager -> Performance tab reports out the VRAM reserved by Nvidia either as it's values seem to match up with the ones RTSS reports.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  3. Unwinder

Doubt that it explained it for you. That’s not a smart idea to opt because of that. That chunk is fixed, doesn’t change during runtime and it is NOT available for allocation by system anyway.

BlindBison likes this.
  4. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thank you for the clarification, you're right I would've guessed it fluctuated during runtime or counted against the total 8 gigs, but if its fixed that means that the 8192 MBs could probably just be treated as a flat 8000 (8 gigs) I expect (assuming I've understood correctly, apologies if I haven't). Doesn't seem like the value is too large or anything then. Especially since it'd be the only sensor from MSI I would be using, I think I'll just stick to the RTSS beta then, thanks for clarifying all of this for me, I really appreciate it. It's awesome that now all of those sensors are just integrated nice and neat directly into RTSS.

EDIT: Holy moly you just demystified for me why some games report "8044 MBs" total usable VRAM -- it's because the fixed value is size 148 MB thus the 8192-148 gives you the 8044 MBs of usable VRAM. That's awesome to know! Thanks,

So long as the RTSS VRAM reported value includes what windows, the game, and any other additional apps that are open are all together consuming then it's exactly what I need :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022

5. Unwinder

You’re welcome. Differences between both monitoring implementations are pretty minor, probably I’ll alter either MSI AB or RTSS implementation to sync their readings.

BlindBison likes this.
  6. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks for explaining all of that, it's helpful to know! I'm sorry to trouble you further, but I did have one follow up question I thought of if you get a spare moment (no worries if not of course).

For the RTSS built-in VRAM + RAM usage sensors (and I guess the sensors in general that are related to "usage"), do these 1) measure "total" memory used including Windows + any other apps + the current game (etc) rolled altogether or 2) do they only measure how much usage/memory the current game which is being monitored is using?

My understanding was that the RAM / VRAM sensors for example measured "total" system usage, but I just hoped to double check my understanding. Thanks! No rush getting to this/no worries :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  7. Unwinder

Both system wide and foreground process specific RAM/VRAM usages are available as independent data sources.

BlindBison likes this.
  8. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Just ignore per process values anyway, as it's ~always total memory that puts applications into RAM/VRAM pressure state. People like to think otherwise, perhaps so they can tell themselves they got sufficient RAM/VRAM, while at least in the latter case there is some realistic chance it's a false assumption.
    This and beliefs about page file not being necessary on Windows are some myths that are really hard to kill...

Speaking of page file, I think there is a bit misleading part in the German translation of MSI Afterburner that calls sensor entry virtual memory "Auslagerungsdatei" ("page file"). Probably causing a bit of confusion (as that value is total virtual memory, not just page file size). :)

BlindBison likes this.
  9. Unwinder

Microsoft calls it "pagefile usage" themselves.

MEMORYSTATUS (winbase.h) - Win32 apps | Microsoft Docs

I also used their native naming for this value initially, but switched to more neutral "commit charge" later.

BlindBison and aufkrawall2 like this.
  10. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks! Apologies, but you mean they’re available independently in MSI Afteburner correct? In the RTSS stand alone I see only one option for VRAM / RAM usage — are they “total system” or only the usage of the current game/current monitored application (I’m referring to the RTSS built in GPU1 Usage and RAM usage sources, not the MSI Afterburner ones to clarify)? Thanks! I’m sorry to spam you

11. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    upload_2022-7-29_13-41-57.png
    *So, to clarify I’m referring to the RTSS built in “GPU1 memory usage” and RTSS built in “RAM Usage” fields in the above image, not any of the MSI ones as I didn’t plan to keep it installed if the sensors I required were already built in to RTSS. Thanks! Sorry for all the message spam, just trying to better understand what exactly I am measuring. I really appreciate it.

My understanding is that the RTSS beta 4 built in memory sensors measure “total system usage” rather than only the usage of the monitored game, but I wanted to double check this as I’ve not seen it confirmed before one way or the other. Thanks,

12. Unwinder

Both are a availabls in RTSS, and their naming (“RAM usage” and “RAM usage \ process” make it really hard to misinterpret or misunderstand them. We’re starting to waste too much time on unnecessary things, sorry.

BlindBison likes this.
  13. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    No worries, sorry about that I know you’re busy — I will check again on the latest beta, perhaps I overlooked it. I really appreciate the info, thanks!

14. Unwinder

It is not a case of checking latest beta, process specific RAM/VRAM counters are available in internal HAL of OverlayEditor since the beginning. The screenshot you’re showing is NOT a full list of sensors available. It is a list of sensors you added to your overlay layout.

BlindBison likes this.
  15. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    My mistake, I appreciate the clarification. I must have been in error or misread something before, sorry about that. Thanks for your time, it’s been a big help for me.