Windows 11 will now tell whether your computer is DirectStorage capable.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 24, 2022.

1. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    I don't have that update, and i just checked that folder but it was empty, but thanks for help anyway :)

The bug hasnt happened in few days now so i will just hope it doesn't come back anytime soon, temp fix is to restart windows explorer from task manager
    or wait till they bring the proper fix in Build 25136

Fixes
    [General]
    • Addressed an issue which was leading to some PCs being erroneously detected as tablets. When this happened, compact mode and the option to hide checkboxes in File Explorer wouldn’t take effect.

2. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    My Samsung 970 Pro M2 Gen3 showed up as unsupported, it transpires that Samsung's very own NVMe driver version 3.3 isn't supported. I had to uninstall this so I am now running off Microsoft's own Windows 11 driver. Now I am supported. Kinda makes sense given the last update from Samsung was quite some time ago and the later 980's don't require the driver.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you need to remove the empty folder.

Samsung need to update their driver, currently only the microsoft nvme driver is supported.

Microsoft are being a bit shady in their wording here, DirectStorage will work with the samsung driver, but it won't have ByPassIO enabled.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/ifs/bypassio

4. gQx

gQx Active Member

GPU:
    2060/6144
    well if its gonna help streaming to remove stutters take my money hopefully games available now can implement it too

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I want to see benchmarks and if pcie4 nvme is req. for directstorage.

6. JOHN30011887

JOHN30011887 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070Ti
    i mean the SecurityHealth folder is empty so there's nothing in it to remove, so as i said will just have to wait till Microsoft pulls that finger out and releases that update properly, im not joining the dev option as its usually full of bugs

7. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    interesting

https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/...iew-directstorage-gaming-companion/index.html

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
  9. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    but it fills the whole thing now but instead it will be able to swap it with DS loading only what's needed in real time

Undying likes this.
  10. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Because we can add and remove textures as needed much faster, we don't need to have so many of them cached in the vram.

And if we add Sampler Feedback Streaming, then the savings can be even greater.
    Or, we can have assets with much greater detail and variety.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    Undying likes this.

11. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Lol .. what????

12. Reclusive781

Reclusive781 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    Not sure if it's working. I have AMD RAID0 setup on 5 SATA SSD drives.

[​IMG]

13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It's not. It'll work with NVMe drives and literally say "DirectStorage supported" instead of the "Non-NVMe drive" you're seeing.

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Been to long ago, but I saw a vid on youtube of someone testing the differences in performance gain between SATA & NVME versions. If I recall there was obviously a great jump going from mechanical to SSD (sata) and then a smaller but albeit quite noticeable jump going to NVME and then from PCIE3 to 4 NVME diminishing returns kicked in. Still a gain on PCIE4, but not that big.

So I recon for the time being, any half decent NVME SSD will do just fine.

15. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    can someone please explain me what does direct storage mean or benefits in the pc gaming experience??? thanks

16. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    benefits? nothing
    it requires supported hardware/drive and to be implemented in each specific game. with time passing and both ssd and ram speed ups the benefits will be even less important, especially considering it's not properly friendly with file compression methods.. except the one it supports.. it's mostly a poor spin-off of what current consoles do.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
  17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I wouldn't call it nothing. The only game I've tested in which it was implemented & functional in is Ratchet & Clank, and in that it makes loading times literally under 1 second for me and that was on my older than dirt 1TB NVMe WD Black from 65,000,000 BC. "Huh, where's the loading screen, oh yeah there isn't one, it loads that fast." It doesn't matter how fast our RAM and SSDs are if the programs don't use their capability; SSDs have been fast enough for rapid/near instant loading for many years now.

Edit: I had to look up how old that ancient drive of mine is... it's from 2018, I've had it for almost 6 years now, and only now some games are starting to make use of its speed.

Airbud likes this.
  18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    having 10 or 1 second loading screens will not make better games.
    yes texture streaming may be a thing, except there are issues for proper hardware decoding and the need of having their only supposed data compression.
    however with the hardware (RAM and SSDs) speed growing it will even less important, especially considering that the many-core CPUs are good already for custom and modern compression methods, allowing fast multi-thread de-compression and so custom assets data storage formats.

19. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE

pegasus1 likes this.
  20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Well considering most loading screens I encounter have been more like 20-30 seconds, having those reduced to a fraction of 1 second is a nice thing to have considering we've had the hardware forever, might as well make use of it.

Airbud likes this.