Free to grab: Multiplayer WWI shooter Tannenberg at Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Why_Me and somemadcaaant like this.
  2. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    It's 75% off on steam. I'd rather pay and support the developer, if anyone still plays this.

3. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    You would rather, but will you?

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    They got supported when Epic paid to do this. Epic picked up the tab for you. The devs apparently think this is a good idea too, probably because people aren't buying this anymore. Make money, gain exposure. What this really is, in my estimation, is an ad for their upcoming game, "Isonzo" https://store.steampowered.com/app/1556790/Isonzo/

I'm sure they'd also appreciate someone paying more as well though. Nothing wrong with rewarding good work. I bought Tannenberg years ago and it's a pretty good WW1 shooter with bots. Basically a distilled BF1.

5. James Frazer

James Frazer Member Guru

GPU:
    NA
    Just because you personally are paying more, it doesn't mean that it is being passed on to the developers, any money at this point would also have to get past the publisher too. Even so, you'd have to prove that what Valve is passing on as a fee is more than what EPIC have paid on your behalf and I really don't think it makes any difference whatsoever at this point.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    people aint buying it because ww1 shooters are dead and dusted.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    As far as I understand, the devs are still paid for these freebies every time someone grabs one. Epic is the one losing money here.

8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    There was a leak a year or two ago that showed what Epic was paying. It was all lump sums up-front. They probably paid $10,000-$50,000K to give this one away as it's not a well known title. Beyond that, I don't think the devs/publisher gets any more monetarily, I think they look at this as free advertising (new similar game coming in 3 months) with a bonus check.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    But these hardcore Epic haters don't care, cuz bad Epic is bad, boooo!

:rolleyes:

10. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I do not hate EPIC or think they are bad, but EGS launcher still sucks major ass. It is a pain in the hell to get a game reinstalled if you change a drive, game install locations, or redo windows.
    Its constantly not saving my login info 9 out of 10 times.
    Its still clumbsy, not very clean to navigate.

I am just pissed EPIC left Unreal Tournement unfinished. It had great potentional to be a true UT 2004 in modern times.

Why_Me likes this.

11. https://github.com/Heroic-Games-Launcher/HeroicGamesLauncher

That was my issue with Epic launcher too with OS reinstalls. Epic's own support page about it mentions you have to pause the download after a short period and then exit the launcher, but it's embarrassing that that's Epic's solution instead of just coding a basic downloader feature.

Meanwhile, legion and Heroic support game imports from backups, is open-source, works natively on Linux, and also functions as a downloader/launcher for GOG games; you get two better clients in one :p

I wish UT was continued also, UT99 was my favorite!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2022
    Agonist likes this.
  12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Thankfully I have 1GB fiber with no data cap. Its easier to just download it for me, but its stupid that I can have multiple drives for game installs on origin, steam, uplay, and GOG without issues.

I really wanna do a triple boot of my retro rig. It currently has Win XP, Win 7, and I wanna do a Linux install as well to play around with and get better with it.

13. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    Cheers adding to the proverbial epic store free game list, some good freebie on Epic once in a blue moon.
    Still haven't bought anything on epic to date, won't support them till they get the most basic of features like user reviews, fiends chat and discussion/forum, cmon epic step it up mate and give Steam some proper competition, actually buying a game is a mine field.

Why_Me likes this.
  14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It's not because you don't pay that the dev isn't paid...
    Epic (steam, gog and so) pay the copy to the dev, it's the same than bundled games with hardware.

15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It's more that shooters golden age is in the past, even more with UK/Russia video in loop everyday everywhere...
    There was an report about that a lot of war/shooter that have been put in "pause" due to that in the TV news.

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I will agree that it had potential, but the game was just trash, with hit-scan weapons and no positional play logic.

Everyone was like Annakin Skywalker, thinking they could get the high ground, only to be hit-scan into biomass.

The weapons sucked, because you have a hit-scan sniper-rifle capable of one-shoting someone on the other side of the map, that was also being used as a 'shotgun'. The rocket launchers moved at a snails pace, making the Wayne Gretzky logic somehow inaccurate - because you might as well wait for the other person to be 10 feet in front of you to get any form of splash damage. The bio weapon was meant to be used as area control system, yet people used it as a shotgun, including the Flak Canon.

Quake had range weapons - Unreal Tournament did not and as such, UT was never universally accepted as a real 'shooter' game, and it most definitely was never considered a true 'Arena' shooter.

What they should have done was simply to forego all that 'tournament' crap (because it was crap) and re-make "Unreal" as a solo adventure, where you crash land on a planet, like the first game.

Arena Shooters are dead...

17. mattm4

mattm4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 6900xt
    Thanks for posting this up, me and my friends all grabbed it and had a lot of fun playing it over the weekend. Its BF1 with a hardcore feel.