HDD Sales dropped by 30 to 40% the past year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Undying likes this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No surprise with ssds being this cheap.

Airbud and Maddness like this.
  3. DirtyDee

DirtyDee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 Gaming
    I haven't used an HDD in nearly 15 years.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Still a got a load of 2,5 Inch HDDs in USB 3.0 enclosures for cold storage offline backups, no freakin' way i use SSDs for that.

Keitosha and reix2x like this.

5. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I still have a 1tb hdd in my main system that until it dies ill keep using it for media and garbage files but I doubt ill ever get another hdd they just don't make sense anymore for me or anyone I know

6. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    I stopped using HDD's back in 2014. SSD's are faster and much less likely to break due to have no moving parts inside them.

Maddness likes this.
  7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    That's hardcore. I only got my first SSDs a decade ago. I don't have HDDs inside my PCs anymore, but I do use external ones for backups and storing stuff not accessed often (or at all).

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Good luck recovering precious data when a SSD breaks.

With a HDD files can 99% of the time still be recovered, if you're willing to pay.

And don't be a fool to use only 1 drive as backup, 2 or more is recommended.

Keitosha, Mufflore and Picolete like this.
  9. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Exactly some foolish people around here don't get it

10. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HDD are unreliable now with this insane huge sizes per plate and they fail to isolate areas around bad sectors.. not a big surprise.

11. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    I'd guess there was a lot of temporary demand after Chia mining popped up. Availability of 8TB+ drives was terrible for a while and the price hikes have yet to come down. If the $/TB came down to something reasonable the demand would surely increase.

Silva likes this.
  12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I haven't bought a HDD in the last 6 or so years. I do not even have so much private data that I'd need more than 1 or 2TB of storage in total. And if so, I probably could afford a SATA SSD for such a purprose any time.

Maddness likes this.
  13. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    This ^^
    There's always demand if the price is right, witch isn't.
    Last year I bought a 6TB WD external drive for storage.
    Obviously I don't run HDD's on my PC anymore as noise and speed are my concerns.

Prince Valiant likes this.
  14. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    You probably already know this but, make sure to provide it power every so often.

The cheapest I've seen in recent months was $15/TB for a CMR drive. It was a nice enough price but not low enough to make me bite when I don't need the space. I still use HDDs as secondary drives but I don't need a lot of faster storage.

Silva and fantaskarsef like this.
  15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Just out of curiosity, how many dead SSDs/NVMEs have people had? So far, over the past decade or so, all of mine (about a dozen) keep soldiering on. Some have just become irrelevantly small and obsolete. None have ever died on me nor come close to shutting down sectors. (*knock on simulated wood)

Not that they can't die, I've just lost count of how many mechanical drives have failed on me. Some died with a bit of notice (thanks!) while others just spectacularly stopped without warning.

16. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    I bought 50TB worth of WD Red Pros earlier this year. Using 4 in my NAS and I have a cold spare if things go south.

There's no way I'd achieve the same capacity at a better price with SSDs.

wavetrex, Silva, Keitosha and 2 others like this.
  17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    1 HDD in the past 25 years, during the late 90s. Was either a Maxtor or Seagate, can't remember.

1 SSD in the past 14 years. Was a OCZ Vertex 120GB from 2009 acting up at some point and wiping itself randomly.

I will still use HDDs for offline storage, because the platters can always be read when the head dies. If one of the memory chips on a SSD dies your data is gone forever. And i have 2 offline copies of my backups, so if one HDD fails i still have the live data on a the SSD and 1 offline backup on HDD.

18. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Totally agree there is still no financially good replacement for HDDs.
    I can buy a 16tb WD Gold enterprise disk for the same money as a mid level 4tb SSD.
    If someone needs 16tb of storage, going HDD would give enough money left over to buy a 3080ti or 6900xt.

Keitosha and Lebon30 like this.
  19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    In all the time I used PCs, I had one HDD die (Seagate Bigfoot 2GB iirc, in use for a three or four years), and a OCZ Vertex 2 Ex (in use for what felt like 2 years and 2 days, just stopped working from one day to the next).

20. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Only had a single SSD fail on me, an OCZ Vertex 2 panic locked a decade or so ago. As for HDDs, a brand new WD Green 4TB died in my NAS within days of being installed. Other than that, nothing since a Quantum Fireball in 2001, and before that I lost several Segates, Maxtors and a single IBM Deskstar in the 90s.