Idle system ram usage 14gig?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Shagula, Jul 17, 2022.

1. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    Recently I upgraded my pc's to have 64gig ram for reasons. I was closing something with task manager before and noticed my pc was using 14gig of ram. The pc is pretty much at idle. I have chrome with 3 tabs open, steam, origin, epic and afterburner open. I swear it didn't use that much when I had 32gig. Is this normal? I cant see anything jank in task manager doing anything. Is windows just allocating it for regularly used apps or something? ram.png

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Nopa likes this.
  3. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Hmm, Maybe windows has swopped out the page file for real ram instead.
    Just a whacko guess.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    There are many caches in use on windows that aren't directly explained in task manager or resource monitor,
    Disk Cache
    File System cache (Loose map)
    Sysmain(Superfetch)
    Standby List

if you do a search on a system that opens and reads contents of those files, this will correlate to an increase in the file system cache paged pool (MmSt)
    If you do huge copies or patch operations on large files, this will raise the Disk Cache (exposed by sysinternals cacheset.exe)
    Sysmain will pull in part of frequently launched application binaries and dll code. (Sysmain is still enabled on HDD's even with an SSD present on w10)

Meanwhile, standby list will cache just about everything else for faster starts (entire libraries, game data files, etc)

GPU accelerated apps will retain a copy of graphical data in system memory (but able to relinquish it on pressure)

You want to sort by commit for real memory use, not private bytes.

5. I'll have to check once I'm back in-front of a Windows machine, but does the memory usage bar from Resource Monitor differ from Task Manager?

At the most from Task Manager, I see 3-4GB usage idle with 32GB.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Rammap is the go to for memory break downs.