AMD: graphics cards with consumption above 700W TDP before 2025

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 13, 2022.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Sure but it kinda sucks to pay the high premium that these will most likely be only to downgrade them for the sake of a reasonable/practical wattage. At 700W stock, configuring it to a reasonable wattage would defeat the purpose of getting it, where you'd be better off just getting a lower-tier product.

sykozis and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    GPUs are really goin gin the wrong direction... then again, I am not one to care about 200 fps.
    Energy is a big deal for the future.

New card will need to combo a solar panel to run these cards.

3. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Nvidia pushed Ampere a bit too high IMO, nice things can happen if you very slightly reduce clock speed and undervolt. Comfy temps and power.

4. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    In my opinion, they are hitting the laws of physics wall, and they don't have the capacity to overcome this. The new process nodes are more expensive to research and develop, and this means that for monolithic designs they need to increase price. If a company like Nvidia cannot any longer research and create new affordable monolithic architecture that reduces power consumption, they will go MCM on the future generations, like AMD is doing on RDNA3.

Only one thing that many people are missing, the graph on the article was based on Industrial/Datacenter solutions, I do not believe that this was said only considering the gaming industry. Nowadays a lot of companies want to invest on the Digital Transformation, RPA, AI, and they need this equipment's/architectures that are very powerful.

5. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    I guess there won't be any GPU for you in like 3 years :D

You got it all wrong. GPUs are not clocked to the limits out of the box because of it's cooling or competition, it is clocked to the max because neither nv or AMD don't want to give 10-15% extra performance for free because there is more expensive/next tier GPU that is 10-15% faster...

6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    not sure why ppl still buy a bigger chip and down volt it, instead of getting one size down.
    unless of course you plan to keep it 10y, nit something common with enthusiasts ..

sykozis likes this.
  7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Surely this must be just for servers, right???

Because gamers simply don`t have the means to cool such beasts in an enclosed case.

8. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Truth be told, the RTX 3000 was not for gaming, nor for workstations. It was meant for minong.

Silva, cucaulay malkin and Maddness like this.
  9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    You can undervolt and keep stock performance in most cases(silicon lottery applies) and is not rare to even get better more stable higher clocks after you undervolt . So you do not remove performance at all. Saving 50 up to 100 watts of consumption on your GPU having better temps while you do not loose performance ... Why not ? :p

Embra and Maddness like this.
  10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    120W is my highest offer take it or leave it.

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    That's an interesting dream world right there. As for chiplets, they won't be necessarily much better in power than monoliths, just more profitable.

12. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Well with Russia cutting off more gas supply's just gives EU power companies more of an excuse to raise prices even higher. I've been told to expect electric prices to double again over the next 6 months. That's why millions of Britains will get a one off payment of around £450 this winter because the government knows people are struggling to keep the power on. A 700w GPU would be silly. You'd think smaller nodes would equal less power needed but that seems not the case.

It would seem like there's only increased power draw to increase performance as at least with nVidia anyway as they've already said next gen Lovelace is basically Ampere+. As for AMD i have no idea if their next gen is totally different and new architecture.

13. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I was in a bar last night listening to people complain about how much of a struggle is with rising prices, as they drank £5 pints of Amstel and smoked £12 packets of cigarettes.

Silva likes this.
  14. jose2016

jose2016 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX 580 8gb
    This is bad news for everyone

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    250w just like i have now is my limit maybe 300w with uv but thats about it. Less and less people will be buying these ridiculous cards.

Silva and cucaulay malkin like this.

16. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    2000w psu's powering 6090 Ti 1000w edition with 16900k 32 perf cores 64 energy cores 700w boost edition, crazy space heater edition.

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I think you may have missed the entire Nvidia marketing campaign to draw that conclusion.

carnivore, chispy, Mufflore and 2 others like this.
  18. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I think you'd have to pay us to keep reading this.

19. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Here is the official presentation of the RTX 3000 series, with Jensen Huang, the CEO of nVidia.

And here are the time stamps, from this video, which is on the nVidia official channel.
    It's just gaming and gaming tech features.

The only thing I could criticize is that it was "Developed For Gamers, Sold To Miners"

20. deksman2

deksman2 Member

GPU:
    RX 580 4GB (mobile)
    Probably because the GPU you got was set to that voltage by the company that branded it (OEM).
    Remember that GPU's on the market come set up differently than the ones from the factory/AMD. Asus, MSI and others will modify voltages and frequencies to what they want so they can sell the GPU's at (usually) above MSRP because they want to swoon people into getting GPU's that 'perform more', and they add their own coolers, etc. to beef up the price.
    Sure, some times they will sell them at MSRP, but that will vary.