Oversupply of used RTX 30 Series GPUs could delay GeForce RTX 40 Series launch

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 11, 2022.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB

AMD seems pretty confident in rnda3. It is an unexplored area but the necessity and what he said was true "who ever is first with innovation has the advantage", they'll be forced to do so".
    That is exactly what happened with raytracing and dlss, nvidia had the advantage but we know amd will also have tensor cores and improved rt. This time nvidia is late and who knows if rtx 50 will be mcm.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Lol AMD finally putting tensor cores in their product 5 years late but Nvidia lacks innovation...

Call me when AMD splits the GPC up, no one cares that they can chiplet cache out - they need more cache to match performance so of course they go that route.

And you don't think Nvidia improved RT/DLSS with RTX40? 4th gen tensor is 2x Ampere. It's not about just having the functionality, what's the performance?

_

The problem I have with the video is that it says nothing. Just takes tweets/rumors we already knows about and reiterates it. In the meantime the same people posting these leaks have been wrong 3 dozen times in the past 5 months. How many times has kopi changed the TDP on the RTX40 boards now?

For all I know RDNA3 will beat RTX40 and AMD will regain marketshare. I sure hope so -- should have sold my AMD stock at $140. But nothing said in this thread or any of the leaks are really giving me confidence. It's all stuff we heard before "Nvdia is late" "Amd has this exciting new technology!" "Nvidia is too hot and unmanufacturable" yadayda. AMD needs to just launch the product and have it be better. Too many launches where people were disappointed to care for leaks or adoredtv clones.

Picolete, Embra, Spets and 2 others like this.
  3. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    sources tell him that nvidia blackwell is mcm, isn't mcm and is partially mcm.
    this man is well informed.

4. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    They will take a 3080 and rebrand it as 4060 'Classic Series'

5. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Well the architecture, performance or price are all moot points without availability. Let's see how the launches go.
    If the next flagship AMD card is significantly faster at 4K than a 6900xt and they don't try and pull my pants down on price, il get one

6. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Ummm no. Never been done, and will never be done.

False. This would not be possible, as the chips are recognised by various apps, such as GPUz and it would also be criminal to do so. In future, think before you type instead of spreading misinformation.

7. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Don't give them ideas, or we'll have 4 gens of rebrands, like they did with the 8800GT.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    Picolete, pegasus1 and Airbud like this.
  8. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    A bunch of mined and used up 30 series cards will not delay 40 says launch LMAO. Sorry Hilbert, but it makes no sense whatsoever. Like I have a 3080 for almost 2 years now, I don't care if market is now flooded with cheaper 3080 cards which is almost last-gen hardware at this point. I'm interested in buying a new 4080 card to power my 4K display. The only thing that cheap 30 series cards might affect is sales of budget models like RTX 4050. But even then it's not a given, as buying new gen card usually gives you new features and better perf/watt etc.

So long story short, delaying 40 series would mean Nvidia doesn't get sweet sweet dolarrydoos from people like me who want to buy a 4070/4080/4090. And we all know leather jacket man loves dollarydoos. Which means 40 series cards will be in stores as soon as they are ready.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  9. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Eh, I'll only get a 30 series GPU if I can find a non-miner 3080 Ti for $500. Otherwise I'll be waiting to see what RDNA3/RTX 40 claim as "MSRP"

10. TrevorK

TrevorK Member

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 3070 Ti
    These MFers will ABSOLUTELY delay the release of GTX 40xy because the OEMs made too many of the older ones. They only themselves to blame, but this way they force it upon the end-users so they don't lose money.

I hate these guys with a passion!

11. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5600XT
    [​IMG]

Well said.

12. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    I think a fly farting is louder than the world's smallest violin playing for them.

13. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    They're not going to make any money by sitting back and having 2nd hand cards flood the market. Speed to market would be more beneficial.

Valken and Maddness like this.
  14. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    One thing about all those used GPUs not affecting the NEW GPU market will be the SHAREHOLDERS of Nvidia, AMD and Intel. They don't care and need to keep making their dividends so the pressure is even HIGHER on Nvidia to push out NEW GPUs.

Used GPUS = NO PROFITS to Nvidia, AMD or Intel.

Maddness likes this.
  15. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Pretty sure its already been done, was it not the NV5200 was rebadged but with more (slower) VRam, might be wrong on the model but it has happened.

16. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I had a 8800gtx and STALKER was the big game at the time, when people jumped onto the 8800 GTS or GT whichever had the lesser VRam thinking that got a mega bargain but it really struggled in STALKER.

17. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    I don't think they have ever released a straight up rebadge, which is what op was referring to. They have re-released certain GPUs with altered specs though. I'm not sure if they had done this lately, but there were some "rebadges" around the Kepler era, especially with mobile GPUs (eg. the 640M was re-released as the slightly amped 730M).

18. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    That was i was referring to, same architecture but a suggestion it is faster by adding more VRam, and it was a bit tongue in cheek, obviously not making out it was a more advanced model, but in business in general it has happened for something to be remarketed as a 'classic', training shoes for instance.

19. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Every video from RGT is exactly that, i dont know how no more people realize it.

20. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    We are talking about China, buildings and bridges fall almost every day there and the news dont get out, if they can hide that, they can hide bad news about cards; copyrights and consumer defense are non existent there