Going to get a new GPU in 2022? From which vendor?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by GamerNerves, May 22, 2022.

?

Which GPU vendor you will likely prefer this year?

Poll closed Nov 22, 2022.
  1. AMD

25.9%
  2. Intel

7.4%
  3. Nvidia

66.7%
  1. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    More rumours about Lovelace:
    https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce...rd-specs-leaked-flagship-over-2-75-ghz-rumor/

Once again RTX 4060 is suggested to have only 8 Gb of VRAM. Would you buy this GPU if it consumed 220 W max and performed on the level of RTX 3070, but only with 8 Gb of VRAM, for the price of 300 - 400 €, or are you, fellow forum member, perhaps more interested in the AMD alternative, most likely named RX 7600 XT? Reminder that these cards might not be released this current year.

PS. I personally would buy RTX 4060 with the mentioned performance for about 300 € if it would have at least 12 Gb of VRAM.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Just had to vote for Intel. But on a serious note, i'm going to wait to see who provides the best performance and feature wise. It's looking like the 4080 is quite a bit removed from the 4090 unlike the 30 series. So i'm very interested in what AMD can bring. But there Ray Tracing performance needs to be up to scratch because it's only going to get pushed harder from now on in.

GamerNerves likes this.
  3. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I actually changed my vote to Nvidia earlier, but the rumour game has shifted my mind to AMD again. I was pissed about Radeon drivers a while ago, but I just cannot fathom if Nvidia once again offers too little VRAM. Also AMD seems to really up their RT performance which makes staying with Radeon an easier decision, even though I'm likely not going to play any current game that supports it or if I would play some particular titles I likely wouldn't use the tech in them.

4. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I really do believe it's best to wait until both camps release there cards this time around. Crypto is tanking and there doesn't look like the demand for these will be anywhere near what RDNA2 and Ampere was.

GamerNerves likes this.

5. kondziowy

kondziowy Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    I will consider all vendors but 12GB is minimum. I feel stuttering/not even framepacing on 8GB UWQHD and highest textures. I consider it my main limitation.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Your main limitation is that you still use Vega. :p

Jokes aside 12gb minimum for next gen card even at 1440p.

7. kondziowy

kondziowy Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    It's FSR's fault :D It's prolonging usability of the card. Every year I ask the question. Would it be significantly better to have more frames. The answer is no xD And FSR 2.0 comes and the answer is hell NOOO. And my driver support ends and the answer is yes.

Maddness likes this.
  8. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    Would you not accept 10 Gb if price was tempting? I know that 10 Gb is not very good for your resolution or 4K in the most demanding modern games, but I think it would suffice for the vast majority of games if you don't need to have the absolute best textures. I'm just pondering if I would accept just product. In practice, most likely not, because the only card with such memory could probably be the RTX 4070, which is going to be over my budget of 400 €. Of course I can go a little bit higher if the offered performance is through the roof, but that's just fantazising, I actually expect rather steep prices through this year.

Otherwise I'm also aiming for 12 Gb.

9. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Needs a "none" option for the poll.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    Darkest, mezball, 386SX and 1 other person like this.
  10. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    With more leaks coming out about the 4000 series I'm starting to lean towards none atm. Unless the 4000 series their architecture has drastic improvements, I doubt there's going to be a huge performance increase for 30 series owners. Atm it looks like the 4080 might just be a 3090 on steroids with higher clockspeeds and worse memory bandwidth for instance.

11. kondziowy

kondziowy Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
    That's interesting. I thought the rumor has it that it's going to be bigger performance increase than Ampere was. 60-80% with huge power increase, while at the same time 50% more power efficient. Sounds like huge uplift even from rtx 3090. And the same or better on AMD side.

12. Shagula

Shagula Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3090 Ulltra
    I have issues with my 3080 10g card running out of vram in certain situations and it pisses me off. That said I got it for launch rrp price so it has served me well, the 6900XT I wanted was $800 more at launch here, its now cheaper, crazy. I would recommend anyone going near high end def doesn't get anything under 12gig. I'm kinda thinking about a 4090 depending on cost because of my vram issue and thats only if my 5800X3D is fast enough to run a 4090 at max fps. If I have to get a new cpu/mobo/ddr5 ill probably use this pc till its completely rubbish and upgrade at that point or if there's cheap ex mining 3090 deals going ill go for that. Going to go look at ebay/buyswap 3090s now lol

13. kondziowy

kondziowy Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT
  14. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    The rumour mill is grinding overtime now for likely financial reasons. To me it seems rumours are getting over the top, though it is certainly not impossible that the very top end card could be that much faster, but the rumour about RX 7600 XT being as fast as RX 6900 XT, but only having 8 Gb of VRAM sounds irrational.

People are lining themselves for a disappointment if they let their expectations fly high, because the price situation might not be very favourable when any new models come into the market due to global economics. I tend to be a little more pessimistic this time, though Intel's reveal of prices was something slightly positive to me at least (RTX 3060 Ti performance + 16 Gb VRAM for 400 €).

15. I'd be fine with 10GB. With a 6600 XT and the RX 580 I came from prior to that, I've gone up to 8GB+ with VR easily (HL:A in Vulkan mode, B&S U8+), and D2R also shoots up past that in certain areas. I haven't passed 10GB with a 3060 though, so 10GB seems fine for me at a minimum, with 12GB+ being of course ideal :p

I can turn down Shadows, AA, and AO if I need more performance, but I hate having to turn down texture quality.

GamerNerves likes this.

16. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I must say Lovelace's energy efficiency is better than I expected, judging by the RTX 4090 naturally, though I never believed in any higher consumption than 500 W for the top model, which means that the raw performance of RTX 4090 was a bit of a surprise to me for what it consumes. Likely Nvidia's midrange segment will rival AMD's very well, so I expect very minor energy consumption differences between competing models. Thankfully midrange cards and basically anything under RTX 4080 16 GB can have normal sized coolers (2 to 2,5 slots), unlike the many massive RTX 4090s, though they are bigger only because they wanted them to be better products overall than the previous flagship(s). I'm very excited to see what RTX 4060 is really going to be - perhaps a gimped 128-bit bus width card with 8 Gb memory or hopefully something more robust. Still my vote remains on AMD because I expect RX 7700 to deliver most bang for the buck if only rasterization performance is concerned, but it's rival RTX 4060 Ti might be the other hot seller of this new generation in the longrun. Nvidia's current pricing keeps hopes down though even for the midrange segment concerning launch pricing.

PS. I know the midrange models are likely available in early 2023, so do not mind the title of this thread too much. I'm very much willing to buy a GPU at the very launch of a suitable model, which would be nothing less than RTX 3070 Ti level of performance for maximum of 400 €, and 10 Gb VRAM is the minimum amount.

EDIT. a slight reassessment

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022