Chatter: NVIDIA RTX 4090, RTX 4080 and RTX 4070 > 16384 cores, 24 GB GDDR6X, up to 2.75 GHz and 450W TGP

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2022.

1. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    ''The RTX 4080 will feature a reasonable TGP of 420W''

Maybe for 4090 it would be ''reasonable'', but for 4080 max should be 350w-380w.

I wonder how good 4070 Ti (it will come later for sure) will be compared to 3090.

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Seems to me a lot of people here are wrong about VRAM:
    • GPUs are designed to buffer as much data as possible, because communication over PCIe is just way too slow. So, your usage of it is always going to "max out" rather quickly. The performance penalty to clear out the buffer for new data is typically less than having to load in data that could have otherwise been buffered. Most of the time, the buffer only needs to be replaced during loading screens (or transitions in games that don't have such things). For what it's worth, a lot of OSes work the same way, which is what prefetch/superfetch in Windows is for, or why Linux will supposedly swallow up multiple GB when watching a movie - you get better overall performance with buffered data, but those buffers can be cleared out immediately if needed. GPUs are just a bit more "buffery".
    • If you experience frequent stuttering (like every few seconds), that's most likely not a VRAM issue. If you're far exceeding your VRAM limits (like playing a modern AAA title in 4K at max detail on a 6GB card), you're just simply going to have slower framerates overall, because every frame requires large swaths of data to travel over the PCIe bus, which is relatively slow, as is your system memory. Where stuttering is caused by insufficient VRAM is when your buffer can't be made big enough and new assets are being loaded in while others have to be unloaded. This kind of stuttering only happens once in a while, and gets more noticeable when you don't have a shader cache. Slow drives can also make this stuttering worse, depending on how the game works. Ideally, your GPU will have enough of a buffer where it doesn't have to swap in new assets at last minute.
    • As far as I'm concerned, 10GB is enough for 4K but you might have occasional stutters from new assets. 12GB is likely enough to work around that.
    • Should be obvious to most of you but: More [V]RAM doesn't give you more performance, it just makes your system less slow.
    • Most OSes are crap at scheduling GPUs. If you're doing a GPU-focused task in the background while playing a game (like watching hardware-accelerated videos), that will not only screw with your buffer but it will cause your GPU to shift priorities, thereby hurting performance.

If you're playing modern AAA titles in 1440P on 10GB and you're running out of VRAM, either turn down AA or textures a notch. You'll have hardly any visual difference but you ought to have plenty of VRAM. If you're still seeing performance issues at that point, that's definitive proof no aspect of the GPU is the problem.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
  3. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    Try Far Cry 6 @Ultra setting, RT On, 4K and HD DLC pack active, game can stutter even on 11-12GB cards, smooth on 16GB+

4. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    If Nvidia don't repeat the disappointing 3070 Ti the 4070 Ti could be nice if done right. 12GB and 30% over 3080 at $600 could be something nice but Nvidia and VRAM...

I'm still in shock at the 4080 price.

ONE. THOUSAND. DOLLARS.

This reminds me of the Turing launch, specifically the 2080 Ti, where I looked at the price, then looked at the performance (relative to 1080 Ti) laughed out loud then moved on.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Why are you so shocked? Nvidia tested the waters with 3080 12gb thats still selling for 1000$ i think it was a pretty obvious what they did there.

Picolete likes this.
  6. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    I think Nvidia could get away with anything during the past 18 months but things are settling down now. People have become conditioned to be stupid with their money, which is their right to be fair, or orders are smaller, as has been reported.

Perhaps these prices are not accurate at all. We will see.

7. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Dying Light 2 allocates ~9.3-9.5GB with RT in 1440p DLSS/FSR2 Quality (960p). Game runs without any stutter (and I mean really 0) on the 3060 when traversing the city.
    Then I alloated 3.7GB with CUDA VRAM Allocator tool, so the game has only ~8.3GB available to allocate. And it showed stutter that wasn't there before:
    [​IMG]

So with 10GB there is hardly any headroom left for even some existing games in 1440p upsampling. Expensive 10GB cards would just suck and be a slap in the face of customers.

carnivore and GamerNerves like this.
  8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    RTX 4090 and 4080 will be fps pushing monsters. I will skip this generation as i play at 4k 60hz vsync and the Asus rtx 3090 watercooled that i have it's still plenty of fast for that resolution and hz , also i'm downsizing everything as i am done with huge cases and E-ATX Mobos with huge H2O loops , now i will settle to Micro atx mobos and air cooling on Micro atx cases in the future upgrades.

9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    4060 16gb? under 200 watt or probably play waiting game to 5xxx

10. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    I laughed 2 years after I bought 3x 2080ti. I sold them for more than I paid for them 2 years later. :D
    Free upgrade to 3080 with money left. Sold 3080, and got 3090 for free :cool:

Thank you miners :p

Undying and chispy like this.

11. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Seems unlikely that Nvidia would suddenly throw everyone 16GB for an x80 unless they have to.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If they're going to charge $1000, I think they would.

13. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Well if they are sold at MSRP it will be the same as the 3080. The MSRP of the 3000 series was a big lie.

If the 4070 has 8-10GB it will be on my do not buy list.

14. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    more futureproof than 6700xt which cant run rt

GoldenTiger likes this.
  15. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    Dunno multiple reviews has shown that at 4k the 8GB ram of the 3070 can be a limitation. It's not rare to see the 3070 beat the 2080Ti at 1440p and then lose or tie to the 2080Ti at 4k. Like in Re village when you enable RT at 4k the 3070 tank while the 2080Ti does not. The only reason i can see for that is ram limitation. Maybe 10GB will be enough for the next 2-3years at 4k with RT or maybe it wont. Why would i take a chance if i pay over 1000$ for my next GPU?

Undying and GamerNerves like this.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I never said 8GB was enough for 4K... I said 10GB was enough and to expect some stuttering from newly-loaded assets. So really, I'm recommending a minimum of 12GB for 4K.
    EDIT:
    I would argue 8GB is the bare minimum for 1440p; 10GB should be sufficient for that.

17. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    "The RTX 4070 will probably cost $499, the same as the RTX 3070."

The retailer I bought my 3070 from seems to have made some sort of mistake and charged me €1,100 for mine. How can I get this €600 gouge top-up back???

Kaarme, Undying and MonstroMart like this.
  18. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    I feel like i'm pushing my 8gb card with 1440p rt.
    i'm talking about rt maxed out though, rtgi+ao+shadows+reflections like in cp or dying light.
    a simple form of rt should never come close to maxing out 8gb at 1440p
    even control with a lot of rt effects is nowhere near 8gb

10g is another story, 12g is just for headroom if you're going to use rt max + dldsr

19. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

the problem is most of the people who post here (myself included) are early adopters or want to be.
    others have already chosen their monitor to match their (targeted) gpu if they don't have a new one.
    and yet another demographic that includes both with game buying early adopters.

i will be shameless on this point and i'm sure many will agree... i want my eye candy now and i've paid to get it.

which is course is an emotional response, but i'm not the android they wanted me to be.:cool::cool:
    seriously though on this point there is a reality index. Nvidia's gaming base is both huge and largely knowledgeable - but the RTX caters to the folks i've described above. the "numbers-crunchers" should've realized who they are selling to. but mining made them lazy and they didn't have to worry about their reputation for the latest and greatest. imho, Nvidia's either stepping on their dick or waiting to deliver a 4070ti with 12Gb

pegasus1 likes this.
  20. Witcher29

Witcher29 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    Hopefully amd can make some good ray tracing performance in there cards now if not i might just get a rtx 4000 serie and stick with nvidia [again]

Maddness and tunejunky like this.