NVIDIA seems to halt producing the 12 GB RTX 3080

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    386SX and mohiuddin like this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yep, now bring on the RTX 4000 series.

tunejunky likes this.
  3. hijodeosiris

hijodeosiris Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    When your garbage doesn't sell at the price you force everyone to buy it, then aply this simply trick, halt production so offer drops when demands start to rise (from gamers) again.

Classic, those naivettes thinking 4K series are gonna be cheaper or same price of post-minig shenanigans craze need to have a reality check.

AMD will do the same, they control pretty much every factor to have whatever price they want, except demand.

Oh no we have supply issues, raw material issues, manufacturing issues, yielding issues, etc etc. They will come up with some BS and average joe will have to deal with it. There is just so much more time people are willing to wait for their hobbies / desires to spend in something like this. So tired of all the garbo, just hope mother nature wipes entire freaking planet of such disgusting species like us.

Airbud, wavetrex, mohiuddin and 5 others like this.
  4. Moonbogg

Moonbogg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti@2.1GHz
    Looks like a few people were getting a half decent deal on a 12GB card. Nvidia had to put a stop to that. Only option is the $1000+ 3080Ti now.

Exodite and Undying like this.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Of course they had supply issues during the mining craze. You think that because they could sell a million cards with bloated profits, they wouldn't have wanted to sell two million cards with the same bloated profits? Because they could have if they had had cards to sell. Perhaps the crypto stupidity ended (for now) a bit too soon for AMD and Nvidia's tastes, but nevertheless it did last almost long enough for the next gen to appear. So, even if the old gen cards didn't sell anymore for such high profits, at least there will automatically be demand for the new gen cards. Mainstream next gen is still 6+ months away, so Nvidia, AMD, and their card partners can leisurely control the supply of old gen now, starting from cutting the enthustiast offerings because those will be replaced first by the next gen.

6. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    They do this before every new release to make sure prices stay high so the next cards can sell for the same or a little more. This will only stop if AMD and Intel can get really competitive which AMD should be with RDNA3.

7. I'm glad I got mine when I did. I can't believe after only 6 months they are no longer producing them. In my opinion the 12GB version is what the 10gb should've been at launch.

Undying likes this.
  8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Companies like nvidia are so obvious this days we dont even need why this why that conspiracy theories anymore. :D

tunejunky likes this.
  9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    1) EOL for a late release is always about a year.
    this is just typical , nothing to see here.

2) AMD's refresh is selling @ MSRP and the EOL 6800xt/6900xt are selling below MSRP but are 4k cards.

3) 4k is not cheap or easy as much as we want it to be.

Nvidia made some questionable choices that the 12Gb 3080 answered. Yes they should've started @ 12Gb but that's exactly when all of the memory shortage (which pre-dated Covid) struck.

Nvidia may be greedy but this is a poor example of it.
    they simply don't want to undercut their launch of Lovelace, where the xx90/80 will be released first.

GoldenTiger and Undying like this.
  10. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Agree. Nvidia always lowers/stops production before a new release. Normally a company wouldn't do this but while they have a pseudo monopoly, they can still pull it off. AMD getting more competitive and eventually Intel will stop this behavior because people would just buy the other company's product for less money. This very well might be the last time Nvidia can pull this off.

tunejunky likes this.

11. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Why sell a better valued product when u can sell the cheaper to make product for more profit it's a crappy thing for them to do and I dont like it but I get it

12. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Just a heads up it's going to crazy in the next few months. With GPU stagnant and our disgusting administration and economy the cards will be dirt cheap but what's the point when you have other more important issues at hand?. To the poor & middle class like myself I wish the best for you and don't let stress/depression get to you most of us are on the same boat.

Raja did something right for once and knew what "cards" he had on the table and they are more focus with gaming cafe's in China which that old famous quote comes to play " Hitting two birds with one stone." They are trying their best and the second obstacle Intel's knows their drivers still need some more work. I now completely understand why he took that path for now.

13. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Looks bad, but they had to do it: soon they'll start mass producing the next series so why still produce the old ones? They need time to build some stock (these new design wafers need months to complete, not weeks).
    Then there's the stock issue, either they price the new ones above or have to drop prices. Knowing they will sell regardless, they don't want to lower prices.
    Assuming mining won't come back, it will take at least 2 generations for something to change about the price. Maybe by the 3rd generation we will see some price drop. 4k series is the first one, hold on: it will be a long ride!

14. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    there's a new gen coming soon, and this card was never good value to begin with at the price it was sold so not like you're missing much.

tunejunky likes this.
  15. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

you make a couple of excellent points and a few interesting ones.

on the overall front the projections of mobo sales is for a significant drop off, but that isn't determinative for GPU sales as GPU lifecycles are almost always out of sync with mobos (no matter how hard AMD tries) and consumers use one or the other to leapfrog. very few enthusiasts "clean slate" their builds when one component comes out. (i'm hearing Amens from 7th gen Intel types and Ryzen 2 types).

there are a few like Nizzen and myself (but he's more hardcore) who buy new tech for the sake of new tech and we get off on those skinny percentiles, but we're strange that way.

i actually think the GPU market improves sooner than later. AMD (and now Intel @ TSMC) acquire wafers long before a production run from their Fab(bing) experience. Nvidia had assumed that the silicon would find its way for Turing and Ampere... and Ampere B-slapped them with memory shortages (can we say silicon...after a couple of Japanese fab disasters) & Covid.
    i can only hope that this time Nvidia secured the wafers (not least to avoid price increases) after TSMC rescued Ampere from Samsung.

AMD has shown (in 2nd Q) that with wafers under their belt and with record production (for them) that in the absence of miners prices will drop.

please no one hold onto any fantasies about GPU prices. Nvidia & AMD are not Rumpelstiltskin spinning straw into gold. 4k cards require the most expensive components and that won't change.
    talking about the "good old days" is fiction. i remember well when you needed SLI just to get 1080p.
    and two of those cards cost me as much as the MSRP of the 6800xt/rtx3080

GoldenTiger and cucaulay malkin like this.

16. vMax1965

vMax1965 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Gaming
    I have to disagree, we as in the 'normal' consumer, not crpto have certainly been taken for a ride during the last year and a half from the manufacturers but also the resellers, AIB's and everyone else who piled in! Nvidia have moved there whole pricing up a level and they launched the 3070Ti and 3080 12GB to rectify the initial MSRP's as they realised there mistake during the madness of the last two years and made even more money...and no doubt the RTX 4080 will launch at minimum of $800 to $900. Yes they are a business and absolutely need to make profits but my word as a business who had net record revenues they could and should have kept prices level and maybe even more so cut prices (even a modest 10% across the board on MSRP) to make up for the last two years....That would have gotten a lot of people on Nvidia's side and only increased brand loyalty. They of course would still make insane profits...Gaming revenue in just the 4th quarter was up 37%! I seriously wonder whether gamers in the next 3 to 4 years will be able to afford GPU's and boy do we need competition badly as even AMD are following Nvidia's lead by charging more and cutting down in some areas... I hope Intel does come good on the GPU front eventually as 3 players should make a difference. But ultimately being priced out might be the plan all along to move everyone over to subscription model which would be absolutely terrible and would drive stagnation of the kind we have not seen in a long time and worse tie us down to not owning our own hardware..maybe this is the future but not one I like..

The GTX 1630 is a great example of a new GPU, cost $199 at EVGA but say $150 with the same performance or less as the GTX 1050Ti from 6 years ago that launched at $139 I mean talk about stagnation!....AMD with the PCIe gen 4x4 and lack of encoding on the 6400...go figure and this effects those with the least money...

carnivore likes this.
  17. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    it's a shame cause it was an awesome card if you happened to find it around 800eur, which was indeed possible lately though required ninja-like quickness and a lot of searching. otherwise it still sells at +1000eur so meh, better wait for ad104 to kick its ass and not require over 350w

18. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    there a thing called conflation
    1. the merging of two or more sets of information, texts, ideas, etc. into one.
      "the forceful conflation of two traditions"

humans like to do this a lot, but it leads to fallacy and misunderstanding.

even considering crypto.

1) AMD and to a lesser extent Nvidia have only indirectly profited from crypto.
    all of their income in gaming is from sales at Dealer's Cost.

2) crypto has had zero influence in MSRP pricing at any time.

3) availability is a whole different can of worms because that depends on regional distribution and both Companies sell to distribution companies (for smaller markets, typically that share a language think Croatia/Serbia etc...) rather than have to deal with over a hundred different sets of laws.
    this is where crypto is sucking mother's milk.

the only company guilty of basic overcharging is Nvidia in the high end.
    and that is their history and brand identity as a luxury brand. the original rtx3080 is a case in point. the 3090 (or any xx90) is less so as it has more expensive components. the "ti" series is equivalent to printing money as it positions itself above the original (with the spec the original should've had to begin with) with only a small increase in manufacturing cost.

AMD is entirely different and has positioned it's top cards well below the pricing of Nvidia although they have equivalent performance (please no 3090ti trash talk) at a significantly lower price and although they do not update the drivers as often, often the drivers eke out very impressive performance gains (see: rx6800/xt/6900xt) and you have to judge an AMD card 6 months out to be fair.