Upgrade Vega 56 or wait

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Irrelevant, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Irrelevant

Irrelevant Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    Im not sure what to do, should i upgrade from vega gpu to the 6950xt now or wait until the end of the year when new cards come out? I am overhauling my entire rig and will be gaming at 4k. I would rather get the whole thing built asap but if the new cards coming out are vastly better then i don't want to regret purchasing 6 months from now. Thoughts?

Cheers

2. Do you want to game at 4k right now? Or can you wait? That answer will answer your question.

3. Irrelevant

Irrelevant Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    Will the 6950xt not give me 4k gaming for a couple of years? i currently game at 2k.

4. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    It's only a few more months until the new cards come out. If the performance rumors are correct, you'd be much better to wait. You'll get better performance for cheaper.

5. Irrelevant

Irrelevant Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    I have already paid for the rest of my new rig, seems it will need to sit and collect dust until new cards come out then.

6. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    The rumors say the 7700xt will be faster at rasterized than the 6900xt and blow it away in Ray Tracing. It'll be cheaper as well. You don't have to wait, but I would.

Embra likes this.
  7. Irrelevant

Irrelevant Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    Was i wrong to build my new rig right now? The new amd cpus will be out soon too, i upgraded from an i5 4690k to ryzen 5950x. If i am waiting until september or something for new gpus i could have got a better cpu too. Oh well.

8. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    If I were in your situation, I'd likely get the 6950XT *if* I found one at an appealing price. I certainly feel it would serve quite well for the foreseeable future at 4k.

I would be using the logic that, while it appears that the long nightmare of poor GPU availability is nearing an end, the World, in general, isn't exactly harmonious at the moment, geo-politically. And, who knows what will be the actual asking price, or the availability, of future cards from either AMD or Nvidia? If I later found that I had acted too soon, that the shelves are brimming with amazing cards with equally amazing prices, it isn't like I still wouldn't have an extremely capable graphics card. Or, that I couldn't re-sell it and recover some of my investment to put towards it's replacement.

On the other hand, if you're currently gaming at 2k with a Vega 56, and, I mean this in the nicest and most respectful way possible, then you clearly seem like someone that has the patience to wait until later this year to see what develops. Again, if it were me, I simply wouldn't want to roll those dice.

Personally, while it isn't germane to this discussion, I'm more concerned that, from a gaming perspective, there doesn't seem to be all that much in the pipeline that warrants any investment in computer hardware. But, that is a different discussion for a different forum.

9. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    My bet is that prices on GPUs wont shift all that much - if a 7700XT is going to perform similarly to a 6900XT, I reckon it'll be priced similarly too

For example, performance at £200 has been the same in the last 6 years

10. Irrelevant

Irrelevant Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    Yeah, for reasons i won't go i to i havent upgraded in a long time, but as old as it is my current pc has done me well and i haven't had too many issues, time for desperately needed upgrade though. It is only 3 months but i honestly don't know if i will be able to spend a grand on a card come september, probably will be able to but not a certainty, whereas now i have the cash to spend.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Is it hard to wish for 7700xt at 499$? :p

12. Irrelevant

Irrelevant Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    Bottom line, will a 6950xt serve me for a couple of years for 4k gaming? As long as it can i don't think i will look back on regret for purchasing it even if the new amd lineup is much improved. This is the one i was looking at getting https://www.scan.co.uk/products/pow...racing-graphics-card-rdna2-5120-streams-2435m

Here is a list of specs im getting for the rest of my new rig.

Lian-li Odyssey X Black Large Gaming Case
    AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
    NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm RGB Liquid CPU Cooler with LCD Display
    32GB (2x 16GB) Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory Kit
    2TB Seagate FireCuda 530 NVME PCIE Gen 4 M.2 SSD
    8TB Seagate IronWolf NAS 7200RPM 256MB Cache Hard Drive
    Gigabyte X570S AORUS MASTER WIFI Motherboard
    850W - ASUS ROG Strix Fully Modular Gold Rated

Am i good for a while with this setup?

13. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    CPU wise yes it'll be more than fine for many years. GPU wise, there is better coming and not far away. Honestly now is the time to wait. If you really don't want to, get the 6900xt Toxic, it's cheaper and probably as fast as the 6950 and use that money for something else. But i'd still wait.

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Everything better is coming this is not a good time to build a pc.

15. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Yes and you did the right thing by getting a stop gap card for now. :)

Undying likes this.

16. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    6900xt can be found a lot cheaper than 6950xt, 200-300eur

with 6750xt at 550 ?
    amd really shifted the goalposts for this generation with the late refresh.
    didn't see what the real purpose of this late refresh was ? you poor thing.

17. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    If you have not already built your new rig, I would go ahead and do so and run the Vega until your ready for a new GPU.

Setup looks good to me.

Like Maddess says, I would wait just a little bit longer on a big GPU purchase.

18. Irrelevant

Irrelevant Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    Ok, i will wait until september and just use my shitty vega 56 until then. Lets hope the new amd gpus are a vast improvement for a good price. I know you are more gpu bound in higher resolutions but the 5950x shouldn't bottleneck the 7000 series should it?

Cheers

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I hope it will keep the 6700xt msrp not the refresh. Nvidia did even a worse thing by releasing 3080 12gb for how much? We dont know. In this case i hope its not gonna be 899-999$ 4080.

Maddness likes this.
  20. Irrelevant

Irrelevant Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    So my custom build pc is coming tomorrow, my 4k LG C1 oled tv to use as a monitor is here, however im still unsure if i should wait until the 7800xt comes out or go with 6950xt. October/November is still quite a bit a way and i don't like the idea of putting my crappy vega 56 in to my new build. I just need people to reassure me that if i want to game at 2k to 4k then waiting until the end of the year will be worth it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022