NVIDIA RTX 40 Series Might Get 800 Watts TBP

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 20, 2022.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    These sound quite capable but I'll wait for the refresh with (hopefully) improved power draw across the series. This inefficiency (or lack of nvidia giving a crap) is a bit absurd. I have space heaters that don't work as well as modern gaming PCs to heat a room.

sykozis likes this.
  2. Equinoxe

Equinoxe Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    Nvidia totally playing into the energy ''scarcity''.

3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I have an hard time believing Nvidia would go so far but i´m already preparing myself in case this becomes real...

4. Marios145

Marios145 Active Member

It is always interesting to see big companies entering new markets.
    I never expected nVidia to enter the kitchen appliance market with this smart mini-oven that can also render graphics
    Very interesting concept - will keep an eye on this.

5. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    The current generation of Nvidia and AMD GPUs are the most efficient GPUs that have ever been produced.

As for using them as heaters, both your space heaters and GPUs are the same, 100% efficient.

sykozis likes this.
  6. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Yes 3090ti @ 300w beats every other gpu in effency :)

3090ti @600w is another story but performance is still very good :)

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Radeon Fury under-powered to -50% runs at 90% performance while only comsuming ~200W max... Long gone are the days when CPUs and GPUs had reasonable TDPs and some OCing headroom :'(

TheDeeGee likes this.
  8. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    Meanwhile 980Ti can use 400W and run at 135% performance compare to stock :D

Airbud likes this.
  9. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    What is it for RTX 3090 as reference ?

10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    I already have.

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    The power phase, or the power that can be delievered through the pcie connectors? The powerphase on the founders 3090 is actually the strongest of all the 3090's - nearly 1000 watts. Aka it wont be any different with this 4000 series gpu - but nice title for clicks.

XenthorX and Airbud like this.
  12. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    As someone else said before , this is getting way out of hand. I wish nvidia and amd both would lower the power consumption on their gpus by a lot as energy prices have gone way , waaay up from let's say 2 years ago plus this is not helping the global warming crysis. I will skip this generation completely and wait to see if nvidia and amd gets back to it's senses , reality check.

I cannot wait for AMD Phoenix APUs rdna2 + ddr5 will make this apu 1080p 60fps high settings gaming possible just sipping power from the integrated graphics , once we get there 1080p 60 fps high settings on triple A new games i will dump my high end gpu + cpu. Bye bye dedicated high end gpu's hopefully :)

sykozis and Embra like this.
  13. anub1s18

anub1s18 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX2070S /WC
    +1 maxing out at 220w but still putting a 72fps frame cap on most of my games in summer just to stave off the heat, though come winter a 400w gpu could mean i barely need to use the heating :p though summer is the time where i dig out old games that barely load up the cpu and gpu....probably because those are the only ones i can play for HOURS where a modern game 1h and then my loop is heated and it really starts to dump it's heat in to my room >.>

TheDeeGee likes this.
  14. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

btw i love Samuel R. Delaney

Babel-17 likes this.
  15. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i expected something like this from Nvidia (tho' not as bad)
    and i expected to see worse mining now six months ago.
    my how things change fast.

now, with crypto cratering we might just live to see actual cards at launch for gamers.

because of crypto i held off Ampere and almost held off RDNA 2, but i was able to score a liquid devil 6900xt
    below MSRP in the last few months.

so i'm going to let all of you guinea pig Lovelace to see how the 70/80 play with tweaking because the (G-Sync) system i have the 2070 is the weakest link in all of my 'puters.

16. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I wonder where AMD's RDNA3 cards will land in comparison. I have had SLI and in the Texas summer heat and man I would be sweating during gaming. I will not be going over 250w again. Nope.

My next GPU will likely be picked on what gives me the best performance under 250 watts. I actually have 3080 level money set aside and decided to stop trying to get one a few months ago. So money wont be an issue but no thanks on the heat.

tunejunky likes this.
  17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    And how can you cool a 450-800w chip normally with traditional cooling, really cruious about next gen design, because this kind of power output is pure bs

18. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    Once upon a time i used to put £50 a month to my electric, that now is £100 so it's doubled in the last 6 months.

On avg i game about 3 hours a day where my 3090 and system uses about 600w. With this a 4090 would likely be around 800w in total so not a huge increase for me but still getting stupid high energy useage.

chispy and Robbo9999 like this.
  19. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    If they putn more than 512 GPU cores on it, maybe...

Valken and chispy like this.
  20. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    No need for that many i believe , the magic will happen with ddr5 . On my 5700G apu with 32gb of 3900Mhz ram and tweaked timmings + overclocked igpu on this tiny htpc box i have ASRock deskmini x300 SFF i can play a lot of games at 1080p with a mix of medium and low settings flawlessly for hours mostly older but good games. Mainly on latest triple A tittles is where i have to lower the resolution to 720p to maintain 60fps.

Let's hope AMD Phoenix APU get us there my friend :) , at least that's my wishful thinking , nothing better than have a tiny box smaller than a power supply unit been able to play games on it while sipping tiny ammounts of power. That's where i'm heading next SFF and Mini ITX builts , i'm done with monstrous eATX Full Tower cases and expensive water cooling.