Star Citizen - Squadron 42 - Upcoming PC Space Sim.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Major Melchett, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Again, and as with @bobnewels, disable your e-cores (assuming that video is your system). SC doesn't like them at all (a reasonably common issue with e-cores and games, I hear).

For comparison, at the 10-minute mark of that video going up the stairs where you're getting 25fps, I get 35fps there -- using a very old Intel Sandybridge 3970X 6-core/12-thread CPU and a 1080Ti, and that's on a full server. I'm at 3440x1440 not 4K however, but SC is CPU-bound not GPU-bound, which we can see with your 3090Ti being underutilised. Disable the e-cores and you should get a big jump.

Also, the stuttering in the video are the shaders being compiled. This only happens the first time you visit an area you haven't been to before, after that it's perfectly smooth. Just make sure you set your Nvidia Shader Cache to at least 5GB. Currently, if you explore all of Stanton, the cache will get to around 4.2GB, but as the cache is shared with other games, you could easily go past 5GB. I set mine to 10GB.

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    upload_2022-5-30_4-58-18.png

I tried installing the free play version but nothing happened after 20 minutes(downloaded 13GB then nothing happens after that, file size was 13GB) Tried uninstalling. It's still showing this now, but nothing is happening after this point. What a joke.

3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I keep avoiding playing this at all. I want it to be done before I spin it up. I rarely even watch any videos. Space games were my jam back in the 90s... I just want to be wowed by it all. (while we're young though, eh?)

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Maybe it still needs some work....

pistol dev

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    @Ghosty Downloaded the free version several hours ago. All was smooth. Created an RSI account and then downloaded the 13GB. When that finished downloading, it then proceeded to download a 67GB update. Whatever was wrong, is all fixed now.

6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Game runs like trash though... insanely high cpu usage.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    There should be another 70gb download after that.

8. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It wouldn't even let me buy the game either. Pressing the buy button, nothing happens. It's all rather embarrassing. Oh well.

9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    buy what?

you buy ships with game packages attached you might have been trying to buy the "game" without a ship to attach it to. starter ships usually have s42 and or star citizen (the mmo) attached, other higher ships you need to get package or have one on another ship.

10. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Militech Apogee
    It's an amazing business model.

11. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Even the sponsored ads are confusing.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Dunno, two of my friends bought it this week with no issues.

13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Have you ever played Eve online? I feel like this game will play out the same way once the game is fully populated.

14. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    eve is pvp centric, star citizen while pvp based will not have the stakes eve has, you will not be able to take and hold regions like you have to in eve.

less that changes at some point. but the amount of players with the fidelity they going for will likely make huge fleet battles difficult, and s42 supposed to have some?

15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    What's the insurance for in that case? In case you crash it or something, or someone attacks the ship?

S42? Zero hype and info, so who knows....

16. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    insurance covers your stock ship replacement, less you choose to expedite a claim and pay extra.

there will be other types of insurance in the full game, item, cargo, self? by the old games gear and mods for ships will end up costing more then the base ships. so item insurance will be a big thing.

at the moment from last i played base insurance is a catch all until the other systems are in. so any stuff you put on your ship should be replaced less it bugs out, did for me many times :p, but insurance will need to kept current in game else you will need to pay out of pocket to replace your ship.

squadron 42 is the single player game, they been all hand on deck development, and they been back porting wip systems from 42 in star citizen and vice versa in the past, they are trying to get chapter 1 of 3? out the end of this year or q2 q3 next year more likely, but if i had my way they would launch xmas this year but we see. there been playable builds of 42 going way back but it been updated gfx ai physics lighting fx systems render pipelines many still wipish.

so s42 = single player co op game.

star citizen = mmo.

best packages will have both included but some only got one or the other and you have to add on the other extra. customer help desk on the spectrum website i used to work on here and there, and they were pretty good with any issues you may run into like unable to purchase, dl stuck, omg 3.0 was a nightmare for that when i was helping in help desk.

Undying likes this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    SC has no issues with E cores, provided you're not trying to use an alder cpu on an unsupported OS (10 and lower)

18. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Only thing about the game that gets me is the insane amount of key mapping. There is no way it could ever be supported by a controller.

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  20. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Haha that's better than I thought it would be :)

For those wondering, SC has feature called FOIP that uses a webcam to map your face movements to those of your character in-game. It allows for great machinima like this, but also when using in-game VOIP your mouth moves to match your vocals.

And yes, you can also drug yourself up in med beds :) Nice vid!

cerebus23 likes this.