NVIDIA GeForce 516.40 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Jun 15, 2022.

1. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    I haven't tried rolling back yet, but Elden Ring crashes to desktop when I try to load my save with these.

Edit to say it crashed twice (maybe shader compiling?) and then played fine after. Maybe a game bug, maybe my stuff, I dunno.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  2. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    How can I fix that Astyanax?

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Boot tab
    CSM (Compatibility Support Module)

Launch CSM = Disabled

Secureboot
    OS Type = Windows
    Secure Boot Mode = Standard

Advanced Tab
    Trusted Computing / AMD fTPM configuration
    Security Device Support / Firmware TPM = Enabled

big ROBOT bill likes this.
  4. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Do you have the MSI Afterburner overlay enabled? If so this is an old bug that only appears when MSI Afterburner overlay is enabled.

5. big ROBOT bill

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    Thanks, I'll try those, but I seem to be in deeper now, I have tried to re-install win11 but now it says my computer can't support win 11 (this is after having had it going since it first came out). I have downloaded win10 onto a usb stick and will attempt installing that after trying your fixes :(

6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    It's fine now with AB + RTSS

@ManuelG
    Note:
    If problems, then Reset settings = Fixed
    No problems with drivers since last September.... GJ Guys :p

Note 2.
    If You can try to fix NV effects (sharpening +) for Forza H5, when enabled game crashes at start.
    Workaround: start game without it then set it in game, when leaving the game turn OFF all effects (not disable, OFF).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it might help to reinitialise the ftpm within windows 10 if you can get there.

8. big ROBOT bill

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    So far so good thank you Astyanax, it's installing now XX

9. XantaX

XantaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI 12G
    All games works fine exept Farcry 6 crashes and reboot my pc sometimes, strange behavior i think,dunno what cause it.
    Anyone know what the problem could be? needs help...(original game i bought)

Windows 11 25400 could be a bug in this windows version

10. seox70

seox70 New Member

GPU:
    Asus 2060 super
    Getting artifacts in COD Warzone after playing 15min->

11. Rogerbee

Rogerbee Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX2060 6gb
    Revert back to the last driver that worked for you. No sense in dragging things out with this one if it's giving you grief. 512.95 is fine, go back to that and wait for the next WHQL driver.

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I normally just update to a new driver by installing over the current one and have had no problems doing in this way in years.

However, this new driver seems to have a surprising number of issues in the games I am currently playing. Jurassic World Evolution 2 is one that is currently broken with this driver but I also loaded up Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord for the first time in months and it seems that this has an issue with rendering the graphics. The benchmark runs in a tiny window in the top-left of the screen and when I start a new campaign I cannot see the character I am creating. So I quickly started the game, only to find that it too was running like the benchmark; a small window in the top-left with a weird semi-transparent look to whatever is being displayed there (it's really hard to make out what it is I am actually looking at).

Thinking it was a driver install issue, I used to DDU to uninstall the driver and do a completely clean install of 516.40 but the same issue in both games persist.

Normally, I have no problems with NVIDIA drivers other than the odd graphical bug that slips in from time to time (and which can sometimes take them months to fix) but this one has basically rendered two games I want to play as unplayable so these are easily the worst drivers I've installed from NVIDIA in years.

13. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    While I can't test Jurassic World Evolution 2, I don't have any of the issues you've described with these drivers (DDU and clean install) and Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord. I'm on Windows 11 Pro 21H2 22000.739 right now, in case that matters.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  14. S3r1ous

S3r1ous Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700
    Any issues with new branch/set of drivers usually seem to come from undocumented architectual changes/evolution, and as specific branch gets more and more releases all of that is usually resolved over time. Maybe thats why were getting .40 not .01 version and its maybe why it took so much time to iron out the problems... and why there are these new issues. I dont think this is even anything new. Its unfortunately to be expected.

15. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Division 2, man, those bugs destroying my fun for the game. Damn it man.

Why they cant fix that crash.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I returned back to older 512.95 too, destiny2 froze after ~3hrs with these. Had to hard reset, was like my ram acting up, "robotrock sound freeze".. but no such thing with 512.xx

Badgerslayer7 likes this.
  17. Mapson

Mapson Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super 8GB
    Objective benchmark analysis of drivers from 442.59 to 516.40 using custom spreadsheet I originally created to objectively analyse raw benchmark data (see NOTE in footer).

Raw benchmark data on the left is from historical and recent posts by LokkenJP over on Reddit (1070ti GPU, i7 4790K CPU, Windows 10). As with all data, results are system dependent and can be used as a general guide only.

Summary columns to the right objectively highlight the highest performing driver for a given category (FPS, frametimes AVG 1% 0.1%) in the games tested. Each driver is given a point / score based on how many times it is selected as the highest performing for a given game and category (see NOTE in footer).

[​IMG]

NOTE: Spreadsheet 'summary' columns on the right automatically select the highest performing driver for each game in each of the 4 categories ( FPS, frametimes AVG 1% 0.1% ). If a category result 'matches' across multiple drivers the higher driver number in the result is selected e.g. if 442.49 and 516.40 have matching FPS results then 516.40 is selected in the 'summary' list. FPS figure is the MEDIAN from the 3 raw benchmark data points.

0LBaID, beezee, Sylencer and 5 others like this.
  18. GatitoMimosin

GatitoMimosin Active Member

GPU:
    msi gaming x 3060ti
    VERY BAD DRIVER fortnite with rtx look awful
    [​IMG]
    backpack pacman is invicible with this driver
    [​IMG]
    all drivers 515 516 betas have same error 516.40 vhql same error

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm on Windows 10 21H2 due to the age of my PC (built in June 2013!). However, I reinstalled Windows 10 last week to repair some unfixable sfc /scannow errors that cropped up during the scan after one of the Tuesday cumulative updates but which did not otherwise affect the running on my machine. It was basically a reinstall from within Windows so I kept all my settings, apps and so on. It did fix all the errors though, including an issue I had with DISM where the scan would halt due to a "specified path not being found".

I have hundreds of games installed across multiple drives totalling 12 TB+ and all of the ones I had been playing (which amounts to dozens since upgrading to a RTX 3080 graphics card last week and trying out every DLSS/RTX game I could find) were running perfectly on driver 512.95 apart from, bizarrely, the Disney's Speedstorm Closed Beta on Steam which just appears to start and then close without ever loading, despite numerous reinstalls and even moving it to different drives. That games gives an access violation error and still doesn't work on driver 516.40.

Jurassic World Evolution 2 has invisible dinosaurs in the Viewer which is very similar to the start character editing mode in Mount & Blade II so it seems to be a similar issue in both games. I am not using any mods such as ReShader, RTSS is disabled for both games and I am not forcing any settings in the NVIDIA per-game profile either. It is very odd. I verified Mount & Blade II this morning and it returned one corrupted file (I haven't played the game in months) and redownloaded it. However, the same issue occurs so it was not related to the file corruption.

P.S. I just started watching a walkthrough of Mount & Blade II on YouTube and realised that the issue I am having even affects the main menu screen as mine appears black whereas the actual game should shows some realtime graphics here. It is uncannily similar to the issue in Jurassic World Evolution 2 though as the dinosaurs are invisible in the viewer and when I load up my save game, all I can see is the landscape and water but only the edges of some of the buildings and other scenery. It is really weird how this got broken prior to this driver being shipped.

Most games seem to be working fine with 516.40 but I have not tested all the ones I played on 512.95 so it is possible there may be other issues. Incidentally, I *never* do clean installs usually; I normally just install the new driver over the old and have never had any problems doing so. I only did a clean reinstall of 516.40 after I came across the weird issue with Mount & Blade II but it may be that issue is related to something else although I have no idea what if it isn't the driver.

20. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Guys, can I ask out of topic? I downloaded 21H2 but lost my USB driver. Can I install windows within SSD if I mount it? Will it work?