Heatspreader Zen4 Processor - CPU gets Delidded (photo)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    kanenas likes this.
  2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Cool.

3. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Those CPU cores look really close to the edge. Wonder if it will make for cooling challenges, assuming that's where the heat will be the highest instead of closer to the middle.

4. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    I have a suspicion that there is room for a third ...

waltc3 and Silva like this.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I wonder if the iGPU is integrated with the IO chip. From what I recall, the IO chip is on a smaller node, but since the default iGPU is very cut-down, it would make the chip a bit bigger, but not too much bigger.

6. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Will have to make sure the thermal paste spreads out to the edge/s when using a cooler. [​IMG]

tunejunky and chispy like this.
  7. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Robert Hallock answered that the other day and the answer is yes. The IO die is made on TSMC's 6nm. The other interesting bit is that they have one IO chip for client and server so the iGPU will be in all there products with Zen4.

tunejunky likes this.
  8. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I wonder what this means for AMDs contracts with GloFo? I'm guessing GloFo are only producing the chipsets for the X670 boards now?

9. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    So no 3DVC version yet...

10. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I haven't seen anything on it. Maybe they are making the chipsets with GloFlo to keep the demand high enough? Either that or AMD will amend the wafer agreement.

11. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Isn't it like... super thick?

12. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I'm very curious how much a leap Zen4 will be over Zen3 for gaming. The 5800X3D is already a pretty substantial improvement for games due to the extra cache and Zen4 might have that advancement as well as the architectural update and the node shrink so I wouldn't be surprised if this was a very significant launch.

I was hopin to wait to upgrade til zen 4 and the 4000 series Nvidia GPUs, but alas when your PCs goes kaputt you just gotta deal with the cards your dealt. There's just no way I could go without a PC for like 5 months (and who knows prices might go berserk at launch).

fantaskarsef likes this.
  13. Typhon Six Six Six

Typhon Six Six Six Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX
    reminds me of when I de-lidded my 9900k. That shiny gold plating is cool. I still have my lid I should scrap the gold LOL jk. I want a 7000 series Ryzen bad now so I can OC it!!!! YUMMY YUMMY AMD goodness coming.

14. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Turn them 90ยบ and there is. Wonder if AMD will ever thing about doing such a monster: 24C/48T

Typhon Six Six Six likes this.
  15. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    It is...the "Huge IO die" contains the GPU and is 6nm, IIRC.

Silva and tunejunky like this.

16. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    yet.

that is reserved for the e-peen championships next year after they finish fabbing Genoa 3D.
    there is only one fabrication site so making those really expensive (yet added value) cpus to the server market is what they're doing now. pure business as those are far more expensive per wafer for the same cost of manufacture. the factory is largely automated so it's in continuous production.

no, the ryzen 4 3D is in the wings for the massively swollen e-peen wars w/Intel next year.
    but i want one now:cool:

Valken and Maddness like this.
  17. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Looks like 3 - 3,5 MM.

18. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

no worries about Glo Flo. the supply chain crisis has upwardly changed the image of mainstream fabs.
    that and the fact that cars are "smarter" today. the auto electronics (oem) business is booming for every fab site not just here, but worldwide.
    we are more concerned about the "bleeding edge" for performance based compute. there is a huge market for "old" or "legacy" production nodes. 22 & 14 are still banging on with the newer source of demand (that isn't all that demanding). same for custom silicon for industrial applications.

19. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    back on topic...

so with the Intel changing the pin layout we haven't seen their de-lidded proc yet, but i would think that since it's a monolithic design that the heat sources would take up more real estate across the socket.
    i am surprised (that this never occurred to me before) about the qualities of the AMD TIM.

i'm even more surprised they haven't slapped some trademarked marketing name to it.
    i would be down for "Wonder Goo", but i'm doubtful anyone else is. just think... if you're using the same cpu block you've been cooling progressively smaller spots across generations... i don't think we're at the point of a practical need of changing coldplates/waterblocks - but we are getting close.
    thank heavens that most AM 4 procs are (relatively) low power which mitigates the (potential) issue.

just say "No" to Ryzen 9 (AM 4) with a sff air cooler in a sff case, aio is your friend

20. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    its possible , the x670 chipset(s) seem pretty small though,
    [​IMG]
    but there are 2 of them.
    It also appears amd is intending to keep am4 around for another year or 2 probably for supply reasons, which should carry a decent chunk of their way to their next contract renewal, especially since zen4 based epyc don't appear to launching anytime soon.