Help Request: PC started crashing during gaming recently, attempting to diagnose the cause

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Jun 2, 2022.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    For context my system has the following specs: 3900X + 2080 Super + 2 x 16 Gb (Dual Rank) sticks clocked at 2933 MHz (14 / 17 / 15 / 15 / 21 primary timings) + ASRock Phantom Gaming 4 Mobo (X570). If I recall correctly have a bronze rated 650 Watt power supply.

For the issue in question what happens is when I play Hunt Showdown, at some point during the match the system will crash (total black screen, I'm unable to get back to the windows desktop). Weirdly Discord will keep running and I can hear people/talk to them, just not interact with windows at all so I'm forced to hard reset the machine with the power button.

The first thing I tried was totally resetting the BIOS back to stock (no XMP or other tweaks). This did not work. I then tried rolling back the BIOS, but again this did not work. I also tried clean installing the latest GPU drivers and checking that windows was up to date + reinstalling the latest Ryzen Chipset drivers for x570/windows 11. Again this did not work.

In the event log I see the following errors:
    upload_2022-6-2_15-11-16.png
    upload_2022-6-2_15-12-11.png
    upload_2022-6-2_15-12-19.png
    There are many such errors like the "Fautling application name: dwm.exe".

My next move is to clean install Windows and nuke the thing from orbit, but if this is a hardware issue which I suspect it is I'm not certain that will resolve anything. It could be the RAM gone bad, could be the GPU, I've not yet determined the problem, but the RAM passes memtest86 stress testing with flying colors/zero issues for multihour long sessions so I don't think that's the problem.

I did find this thread from about a year ago describing what seems to be a similar-ish issue in Hunt Showdown, but the general advice there to bios update did not resolve the behavior for me: https://www.reddit.com/r/HuntShowdown/comments/l0mzmr/hunt_showdown_crashes_and_restarts_my_pc/. When using testing software to stress test individual components I'm not getting errors so this is rather perplexing to me.

Anyhow, thanks for your help and time. Cheers,

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  2. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Hi BlindBison,

Is the error only happening with this particular title? The last time I had many errors years ago was due to a faulty 12v rail with my PSU. That affected everything though......not just one software.

BlindBison likes this.
  3. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Currently it's just the one title I'm seeing this behavior in, but the reason I suspect it's something beyond a bug with the game is that the game isn't just crashing, the whole system is crashing to black screen requiring a hard reboot. I haven't extensively tested other games yet (beyond Overwatch which is a fairly light title).

And thanks, I'll check my PSU connectors after work. After I do a clean installation of windows just to rule that out I'll test more games further, I'd be relieved if it was a one game problem, but that would surprise me. Typically my experience is that you first notice a problem in one title then it gets worse and worse and you start seeing it in more titles.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  4. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Try this, to see if windows is ok.
    CMD:
    sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

BlindBison and TheDigitalJedi like this.

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thank you very much, I’m in the middle of a full blown clean install/factory reset but I’ll try this too once it’s all reset up. Thanks!

6. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    The black screen kinda implies its a windows error.
    This sort of error can happen when windows cannot access enough resources, like page file or virtual ram . So on the boot drive, ensure at least 25% free space. I guess you could also apply the same in this case to other drives.
    BTW windows knows best. So if you have inhibited windows from performing by changing things look to set it back to default.
    Look to, type in msconfig.
    type in search.

akbaar, TheDigitalJedi and BlindBison like this.
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  8. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thank you very much, that's helpful -- I'm in the middle of a full blown clean factory reset/clean windows install so that should set everything back to stock I think. I'll check the page size, but iirc I always just set that to "auto" or some large value like 8 gigs (where I have so 32 gigs of ram so I wasn't even under the impression page file size mattered til the ram was filled up).

9. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks a lot, I'll read over these once I'm off work. At a glance now though I hope this isn't the case: upload_2022-6-2_18-16-32.png
    Would be the second Nvidia GPU to die on me as my 1080 Ti died within 2 years. I know GPUs die eventually and I'm a very heavy user, but I feel like getting 2.5 years out of a GPU is pretty short (that's how long I've had this 2080 S).

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    What extra cooling do you have?

BlindBison likes this.

11. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    My cooling setup isn't the best, but temps for the GPU have never gone much above 70 degrees C to my knowledge (usually it's much lower than that temp going off HWiNFO's overlay). Now, the CPU (3900X) runs hot under load, ~90 when stressed to the max for a sustained period of time. I use a 240 mm liquid cooler for the CPU and the GPU has its own fans on board but beyond that it's just the case fans to my knowledge keeping the GPU cool.

12. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Can be a lot of things, but black screen without recovery or clear driver crash in eventlog unfortunately may point to dying hardware. I guess a replacement graphics card would be helpful to see if it's the 2080.
    If it was the PSU, there usually would be some kind of kernel power loss related log entry.

Edit: Misread, so apparently the system keeps on running. Well, but there's still a loss of video signal pointing to the GPU.

TheDigitalJedi and BlindBison like this.
  13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Memtest86 is a weak stress test. Try y-cruncher for a quick test and memtestpro /anta777 mem test

Looks like memory issues to me.

Airbud, TheDigitalJedi and BlindBison like this.
  14. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks! The problem appears to be the GPU failing — I noticed some visual artifacting in game and even resetting the entire bios/memory to stock did not resolve the issues.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Visual artifacts are the sign gpu is failing sadly. With all that said give maybe amd gpus a chance this time.

TheDigitalJedi and BlindBison like this.

16. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6700XT OC 12Gb
    I've never had a card die on me that quick and I game everyday, in recent years it's for long hours at a time due to early retirement. I'm not saying it's not possible but I'm quite certain that is not the norm. I agree with undying though, visual artifacts certainly indicate that might be the case.

Any access to other cards, maybe one from a friend to see if the issue persists?

Airbud and BlindBison like this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    lol, no it doesn't.

artifacts can be a result of pcie and system memory errors.

daily starts and shutdowns kill hardware faster.
    so does poor quality electricity.

18. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    What it that?
    That is useless impartial advice.
    Buddy, contribute to the forum. Don't take the piss out of others endeavours to help out.

19. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I'm strongly considering that, yeah. I'm a very heavy user and play intensive games, but having two Nvidia high end GPUs running at stock fail -- the first in a year (1080 Ti) then the second in a year and a half (2080 Super) when they were founder's editions bought new is baffling to me.

Prior to that I had a two 770's in SLI that lasted for like 6 years. The other issue I have with the 3000 series cards is they're very short on VRAM in my mind.

I dunno, maybe I just got really unlucky -- I track my temps with HWiNFO64 and the GPUs never overheated that I know of.

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its a shame you're ignorant to electronics decay, but the only one who's fault that is, is yours.

maybe take up a course.

nothing fails that quickly without a pre-existing fault in the component, the power supply or dirty mains.

the pascal reference and FE's actually overbuilt their power delivery to make up for the weak implementation on the 980tis, and even there the cards didn't die within a year, its only within the last 5 years you hear of them blowing memory vdc