AMD Announces Ryzen 7000 - passing 5.5 GHz 15% Single Thread perf Increase - RDNA2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 23, 2022.

1. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    542eur here

Last edited: May 24, 2022
  2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Nothing here for me and that means I have to import it. Yesterday there were 5800, not all gone again...

I think better to wait for Zen 4 at this point.

3. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    5900x for 400eur....

and it fits every am4 board except for 300-series,doesn't need super expensive ddr5....
    let's hope the actual performance of 7000 is at least 20-25% higher, not 15%, cause it will be a flop with the whole platform cost.ddr5 especially.

4. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    So people are not happy with 'only' a 15% bump in single core performance, but over what, im assuming the current fastest single core AMD gaming CPU which im guessing is the 5800xd?
    But how many people are currently running that CPU, im not, i have an OG 3800x so the 7000 series for me may represent a 30% jump in performance or more.

Maddness and tunejunky like this.

5. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I'm on old 4790K workhorse, so need to buy new everything ... hence targeting the 5800X3D @ 450 but now with 5.5 GHZ Ryzen 4 on AIO WC, I can wait a bit longer.

Waiting on ARMA 4 anyways so will be my target next gen game PC.

6. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    it's not about the 15% per se,
    it's that it will require new boards and ddr5,so in that context it looks bad.
    alder lake achived a little more than 15% over rocket lake and had the option of ddr4,yet still many complained.

if the cpu cost will be reasonable,it'll go smoother though.

but if 7800x is the same 450eur as 5800x,require 300eur ram and 200eur motherboards,it will be a pretty bad deal to take that over late am4 with 5700x

pegasus1 and mackintosh like this.
  7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

i'm not nit-picking your comment

it's becoming clear to me that AMD is keeping AM4 around, not just by 5800X3D but combining that with all of the new SKUs. which is not "just" to fix their under represented lower end line up.
    so let's zoom out and look at the bigger picture where AM4/ DDR4 is being used as a value line rather like Celeron. so building a new system you would have options across the board especially if the cost of DDR5 is a dealbreaker on a "B" series mobo. the "X" series doesn't really matter as those folks don't mind (or are looking forward to) DDR 5

8. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    that makes sense

but at the same time,undercuts the am5 platform severely.
    same thing happened when rocket lake lauched - the older comet lake made a lot more sense.
    and not to nit-pick your comment,but am4 has a lot of powerful options for gaming,productivity and for both.
    so that's why early am5 really needs a lot more than 15% to sell given its overall cost.

how would r5000 sell if it required new boards and new memory.not so great.

so let's hope it's more than that,in the end performance to price is all that matters.
    imo they're taking a long shot by not including ddr4. I'd personally pass and go with z690+ddr4 in that case. By the time I'd need to upgrade,I'll need better ddr5 too,like with ddr4 3000mhz for zen1/1+. Zen3 lost a lot of performance with 3000mhz memory,people upgraded to +3600mhz too.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
    mackintosh likes this.
  9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I haven't really read through this thread so idk who you're talking about specifically, but it seems like this is merely just catching up to Intel's single threaded performance which is why people are mostly disappointed. Intel's Raptorlake is supposed to start shipping later this year and is also rumored for a 10-15% jump. So your comparison vs the 3800x would be 7000 series offers a 30% jump but Raptorlake, launching at a similar time, may be offering a 45% one. Since both companies require new platforms it may convince some people to switch back to Intel.

pegasus1 likes this.
  10. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    over 5950x
    which sells for 575eur atm
    another problem for am5
    r5000 will be cheap by the time it arrives

and for new platforms,raptor lake will be faster.
    on the basis of that 15% claim of course.final results may be different.

pegasus1 likes this.

11. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    We may also need to take availability and bios bugs into account with both AMD and Intels new hardware. Also for me and although i use top end WC throughout my rigs and have Bosch AC in each room, heat/TDP will have an impact on what i go for. Ultimately things like 3 x NVMe slots and a ton of USB ports for my flight sim stuff will be as much a dealbreaker as a few mhz either s8de of 5.5ghz.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  12. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    To quote Robert Hallock from AMD:
    "16-core, 32-thread is the maximum core configuration for the Ryzen 7000 at launch?
    That is correct.

At Computex, you showed a 15% single-thread performance gain over the Ryzen 9 5950X. Wouldn't that only put the gaming performance on par with 5800X3D?
    I think it's too early to say actually. We were deliberately conservative with our number on single-thread performance. We do intend to publish the exact breakdown of IPC vs. frequency contribution later in the summer, also including performance, power, and area on the new process. As far as what stacks up against what, I think it's too early to say, we're still in silicon bring-up.

What are your thoughts on 3D Vertical Cache (3DV Cache) for Zen 4?
    3DV Cache will absolutely be a continuing part of our roadmap. It is not a one-off technology. We are a big believer in packaging as a competitive advantage for AMD, something that could meaningfully enhance performance for people, but we have nothing specific to announce for Zen 4 yet."

tunejunky, pegasus1 and fantaskarsef like this.
  13. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    on what basis are you asserting Raptor Lake to be faster than Raphael????
    you are claiming (with an air of authority) facts not in evidence!

i get that you're an Intel fanboy, i was for many years until they screwed the pooch for my computing needs.
    and FYI, i own or have owned every generation of Intel except AL (which was and still is a Hard Pass) including HEDT.
    i'm not sitting here making performance claims for products 6-10 months out from market.
    i have said repeatedly and still stand firmly by my assertion that the only forthcoming Intel product i'm excited by is Meteor Lake, not a refresh like Raptor Lake which is still @ 10nm when Raphael is undergoing a node shrink AND an UArch change.

the chances for Raptor Lake "to be faster" than Raphael are very slim. especially now AMD has revised (upwards) peak and program power. the only way a 10nm process can be faster is by upping power and frequency and guess what? AMD is playing at that game too.

14. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    on what basis are you claiming it's not ?
    I get that your main purpose here is to advertise amd,but from their own slides it looks like it's going to have a hard time.
    also,it's hard to imagine someone claiming to know so much yet they've never heard of architecture changes.
    no,it's not the only option to increase frequency and it's pretty laugable for you to think that.
    you state things you don't know as facts,while truth is no one knows.

this reminds you of anything ?
    https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-1...ire-rapids-are-both-rumored-to-launch-october

it's gonna be fun to see your comments when rpl not only beats zen4,but does it on ddr4.
    although I can see zen4 winning,that 15% figure-though it comes from amd-is not yet confirmed by reviews.

Last edited: May 27, 2022