Embracer buys Eidos, Crystal Dynamics, and Square Enix Montréal

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Horus-Anhur, May 2, 2022.

1. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    EMBRACER GROUP ENTERS INTO AN AGREEMENT TO ACQUIRE EIDOS, CRYSTAL DYNAMICS, AND SQUARE ENIX MONTRÉAL AMONGST OTHER ASSETS

Considering all these great IP's and studios, 300M is quite the steal for Embracer.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Who is Embracer, if I may ask? As for the IPs, I'd love to see a new Deus Ex, but I can't tell if I should be happy, or worried.

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  3. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Also: "Square Enix says (...) "enables the launch of new businesses by moving forward with investments in fields including blockchain, AI, and the cloud." (...)" Unsurprising.

4. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    https://embracer.com/

5. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    It reminds me of when Konami decided to focus on Pachinko machines, and stop making games.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    As I don't want to be the bad guy here, the sentence (inside the quote of the OP), which says

"Square Enix says the transaction (which was only $300 million) "enables the launch of new businesses by moving forward with investments in fields including blockchain, AI, and the cloud." SE still has Just Cause, Outriders, Life is Strange", where does that actually come from? Couldn't find it on Embracer's site (and the link, @Horus-Anhur , did I miss it?)

7. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Forgot that source. It's from SQUARE ENIX announcement, about the "Purpose of the Transaction".

https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/20220502 A_Press Release_fin.pdf

mentor07825 and fantaskarsef like this.
  8. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks fellow guru. When I ask stuff like this it's not that I don't trust you, but I wanted to bash SE as well but didn't find the wording in the link you posted, so I was hesitant to continue.

Yeah jump on the blockchain NFT bandwagon for no reason w/e, where you don't even have to have a product or game to make millions off of people.
    The times when they not only quit making good games to earn money, but quit making games to earn money.

9. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Again, I wouldn't be surprised if that happened to SE.

10. emperorsfist

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Thanks! Still don't know what to make if it, though. Time will tell, I guess.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Stuff like these always seems to be bad news.
    Well see.

12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    If I will see a resurrection of the Legacy of Kain series, which are some of my favorite game franchises ever (well, expect the recent MOBA trash they have tried with it), I will be super happy.

Fingers crossed that we won't see some SJW trash added into those franchises.

13. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    ''Embracer is also interested in acquiring a number of games, including Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Thief, and Legacy of Kain.''

That sounds very interesting, I hope for Deus Ex and Legacy of Kain continuations!

cryohellinc likes this.
  14. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    Square already killed Deus Ex so maybe they'll let it go to someone who cares.

15. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Square put Eidos doing those crappy Marvel games, instead of making good Deus EX games.
    And both those Marvel games flopped. This is probably the reason why Square sold Eidos for such a low price.

16. Danny_G13

Danny_G13 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Trio
    I don't see that quote anywhere.

But I'd give my right arm for a new Deus Ex game. Square treated that franchise badly in the end. Mankind Divided might not have been a super mega hit (although it clearly was, but Square expectations are almost deliberately unobtainable) but it was a great game. And the plan had been to complete the Jensen trilogy. But it just got binned like so many things do.

But I'm dubious this takeover will see a revival. But there is hope!

17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    I will be the bad guy...
    These holdings include Saber. The idiots who used the console port of the original Crysis to port it to back to PC when it originally was a PC exclusive. There is always hope no matter how slim or unrealistic that good ending could be.

18. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Some more info:

Source

Just 8M$ in profits, from these 3 studios combined....
    No wonder Square is selling them out for just 300M$

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. Segamon

Segamon Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4070 Dual
    Square Enix probably should've never merged. They might've had some successes throughout the years together, but their games never reached the stature they used to secure before the merger.

There are two things that are certain in this life, death, and that nothing remains the same.

20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I always thought Square-Enix merger was a good choice. Both companies produced excellent RPG's. FF16 got universally mocked and laughed at, so something is/was wrong.