Over 18 million copies of Cyberpunk 2077 have been sold

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Maddness and somemadcaaant like this.
  2. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
  3. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    I got it on sale and played through it ferociously. I am a sucker for a game with a good story and this one was great. Sucked me in the whole time. I plan to play it again and I almost NEVER do that.

Wault, BlindBison and Dragam1337 like this.
  4. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    This number is impressive, but we must take into consideration that the game cost $316 millions to make.
    And after more than a year, CDPR is still having costs to fix it, on all platforms.

Pretty sure it made a profit, but not as massive as it might seem at first glance.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    They said they covered all costs after 2 weeks - so it will have made very good profits at this point :)

BlindBison likes this.
  6. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Actually, CDPR said the game covered the development costs, on day one.
    So we can be sure the game was profitable.

But then there were the refunds, the PS store block and the discounted copies after just a month.
    Had the game been released in a better state, it would have sold even more, at full price.

BlindBison and Solfaur like this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Is that with the refunds or not?

BlindBison and schmidtbag like this.
  8. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    So many copies sold for the game in early access status? Impressive :p

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    No surprise.

The game had a very rough start but i bought it six or nine months after release, and the game was perfectly playble.

And even if it´s not the best thing since sliced bread, like many wanted, it´s still a great game.

Wault, Maddness and BlindBison like this.
  10. Murissokah

Murissokah Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6870 Crossfire
    People forget CDPR is a publicly traded company. All these numbers pale in comparison to how much the company lost in value. Its shares were at 118 USD / per share just before launch. After the release they kept falling until april 2021, when they were at about 40. It remained stable and was at 45 at the begining of this month, only to drop again after it became clear there would be no expansion this year and no significant source of income (the speculated multiplayer is also not happening, or not anytime soon). Right now it is at about 30 USD / share.

This means the company lost almost 75% of its value. We are talking about some 8 billion dollars in market capitalization.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    Tom Sunday and BlindBison like this.

11. Martin5000

Martin5000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8 gig
    18 million upset

12. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    For me, I loved Cyberpunk 2077. Of course I didn't play it until a number of patches were released and I also played it on a relatively beefy PC rig with all of the RT features and not on console where I heard things were worse, but I really loved the game myself. Great mainline story and primary side content I thought.

Now, it is disappointing knowing what it could have been with more development time and it seems like some cool things were cut for time, but still a good game I thought personally. It also didn't stutter on my system which is a big boon in my mind -- I am getting so tired of UE4 games, Elden Ring, and what have launching and having asset streaming + shader compilation stutter. Drives me up a wall. Clearly it's possible to do correctly (as games like Red Dead 2 and Cyberpunk are high detail open world games which handled their streaming/shader compilation just fine) but devs sorta seem to treat PC like a second class platform to the consoles oftentimes and that sucks.

For Cyberpunk it's like it was the other way around -- the PC version was pretty good after a few rounds of patching while the base consoles really struggled to run the game well. Reminds me of when the Crysis games came to the PS3/Xbox 360. Though I do kinda love it when games release with PC as their primary/lead platform. It's so rare nowadays to see.

Wault likes this.
  13. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Wow, that's nuts -- did not know this. I wonder if for some high risk active stock pickers if they see this as an opportunity to make some bucks on CDPR's recovery (if that happens). I had a lot of fun with Cyberpunk myself, but it clearly wasn't ready when it launched. I found it to be a really awesome game on PC post patching, but I wish they'd either launched the game in early access or delayed it further, something like that. Probably would've gone a long way in terms of public sentiment.

14. reix2x

reix2x Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 4870 1GB
    i will totaly buy it the next year that i will get a new PC build :) never pre-order software.... unless you like beta-testing

15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    On other hand they have made a gigantic work on console that are looking just a bit less cute PC version and almost bugless...
    The "play 5h for free trial" finished to convince a lot of console player to get it (even one of the biggest CP2077 hater on youtube).

In the end CD should take more time before release a new game, and don't have this kind of drama to manage...

16. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 (10GB)
    It's as if nobody read or cared about the pileup of Cyberpunk 2077 hate which tech forum users spewed all over comment sections.

17. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    I've still to get back into it. I was hooked when I saw some of the Night City clips.

18. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    How does that affect CD Projekt? Just curious.

I would have thought it would make little difference to the company itself unless the owners/founders were looking to raise more capital by selling their shares. Conversely it could be great for them to see share prices drop allowing them to buy back more of their stake.

The company is still seeing seeing all that revenue from 18 million copies (assume AVG of €40 per copy) that's 720 million.

19. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    CDPR won't get the full 40€ per copy.
    Part of that value are taxes and a percentage for the platform holder. Sony, MS and Steam, for example take 30%.

20. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    I'm one of that 18 million but a still haven't played it yet.

I have such a huge game library that one day i might get round to playing them all.

Same with RDR2 and many others i could name.