Windows 11 Balanced profile High/extreme DPC issue/Video-Audio Delay

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by X7007, Mar 25, 2022.

1. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    I overclocked my I7 12700K to P-State 51 1st-2nd cores. 50 3rd-4th cores and all rest 49, the E-State 39

When using the Windows 11 Balanced I have none stop crazy DPC issue that even causes some very random sound issue in movies at least and some games that is like freezing and some BIG INPUT Delay that what happens on the screen only have sound before or after and even Keypresses doesn't work properly with DELAY!!! I mean it's messing me up

Using High Performance or 1usmus Ryzen Universal power profile fix the issue but I don't want to use High Performance has it 24/7 max cores. I know which settings control each and what but I wonder why it's so f*** up, I mean balanced is the worst profile for gamers and even for normal usage!!! it missing key presses a lot of times and the computer feels like it's handicapped!.

Can I disable only C1E power-saving and keep all the others enabled? that might fix this specific issue? because do we really need the E-State cores to throttle down to 500mhz? isn't it better for them having stay above 2600mhz or something so windows can instantly use them? There is many settings that does that and I saw the 1usmus Ryzen Universal power profile is using that and it keeps them high.

Did anyone notice these issues?????? there are too many issues using the normal Balanced profile.

Video/Sound Input delay
    DPC issues including audio that comes with above 1000us
    Handicapped screen fluidity like opening things/folders and such

How the hell to fix this issue when using Balanced default? No one did notice that issue? Because it comes from the Power Savings but does everyone is using the power savings in the bios? All the C-State? or do you disable some

2. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    I personally do not have these issues with my 12700k and Asus Z690 Prime-A motherboard using Windows 11's balanced power profile, so hopefully i can help.

First, make sure the Balanced power plan is selected in the traditional "control panel" settings menu in windows.

[​IMG]

Second, make sure Best Performance is selected in the newer Settings menu. The Settings menu's power modes are only visible when the "Balanced" profile in the traditional control panel is selected. Any of these settings will still allow frequency/voltage scaling.

The reason there is a second power "mode" option in the newer settings menu, is for OEM-locked (usually battery-powered) devices that are restricted to the Balanced power profile in the control panel. It was moved here from its past location through the battery icon in Windows 10.

[​IMG]

Third, disable the older Intel SpeedStep frequency/voltage scaling feature and make sure Intel SpeedShift is enabled instead in your motherboard's UEFI. Disable any power saving feature that purposefully keeps the processor at its minimum performance state if such an option is present.

For now while you are troubleshooting, i would also disable any PCI-Express link-state management features (shown for example in an Asus UEFI below), then re-enable one by one once the issue seems resolved.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2022
  3. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    I have all ASPM disabled all the time.

I tried disabling old intel SpeedStep frequency setting, but I still had big jumps.

I have C Global state enabled until C7

in games I see the clock reduce to 500mhz also the Efficiency cores.

I don't want to disable the C Global State and all the intel power savings, but I don't mind just disabling the one that is causing this to happen, why does it clock down some cores even the ones that it is using?? it also sometimes switching between cores for no obvious reasons.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you're worried too much about singular spikes of dpc that are totally normal across a clock promotion.

5. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    it's not, the dpc just shows me what actually happen, but in the game I can have 0 fps and totally freeze on specific places like in forza horizon 3 when hitting a tree I would have a game freeze for 3 sec, don't ask me why but the power management cause that. even when playing a mkv movie 1080p or 2160p would have random stuttering, also audio files, for a computer like this I am not suppose to have any stuttering I don't know about you. If you have spikes and you don't care I am not the one you should ask to do the same, we both have different preferences I guess. and I explained it already, using the power management you want me to use causing hardware input lag beyond of what I actually suppose to have after, like physically display lag before the sound, why would anyone want that?

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Then i'd suspect you have a hardware issue at play or theres a fault with the nvme drivers, clock promotions and dpcs of 1000us are not long enough to trigger 3sec freezes.

7. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Why would it be a hardware issue if everything works fine with High-Performance Profile, I can't see your reason, no BSOD crashes or anything else. What reason is that for issues? Also, the 1usmus AMD Universal Power management fix the issue by keeping the Efficiency cores above 2800mhz so they won't drop to 500mhz, only that makes sure there won't be any spikes above 1000, and if you never had jumps to 1000us I suggest you test again, because whatever and whenever it happens there will be stuttering of all kinds, audio, and video. Do you have 12th Intel series that you test/play with? Because if you don't then they work differently than normal cpus, I suggest you first buy the hardware and test for yourself, because it's not like 11th or older generation, I can't believe you jump to conclusion on hardware issue every single time, I'm technical support/technician and I handle this things everyday, if it was hardware issue I wouldn't have asked for an issue that is not.

It's the 2nd time someone might be you or not I don't remember that "suggesting" it's a hardware issue, which is clearly not at all. it could be also the game I played Forza Horizon 3 that doesn't support this kind of CPU and causing that issue.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    because forcing the hardware to operate in one state constantly hides problems in various parts of the chip, for instance it stops cache ECC events caused by leakage current, cores that produce flawed results at lower voltages are fine with higher voltages (waveform definition)
    then theres things like the pcie controller no longer dynamically negotiating its link clock and lane count (both events which take error rate into account before settlement), under high-performance.

looking around though, it does seem there is an issue with Radeon+Intel, and little to no mentions of it on Nvidia+Intel, a strange turn of events since you'd expect the opposite where the nvidia driver would try doing things on the E-cores constantly.

9. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Also, if you noticed it's exactly the same as the AMD clock if you keep the minimum at 500 instead of changing it to 100 less on maximum then on some games you will never reach the max it will drop fps like crazy, same thing for Nvidia if you don't use the prefer the maximum performance and keep the optimal power or adaptive, it's just exactly the same. if that's a hardware issue then every single person has it.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    What i'm seeing reported is that Input systems are not being serviced on these alder systems in some cases when core 0 is under load, this is occurring whether or not the E cores are even enabled.

You should install the feedback hub and perform performance tracing using it under the affected conditions, there is likely a kernel issue afoot.

FWIW, forza's operation is questionable, because even on the xbox there are complete freezes that make you think the game has frozen only for it to continue.

11. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    I noticed when I play the game the Current Timer Resolution while in the game is 10ms and doesn't move from it. If I force set it to 0.5ms it doesn't freeze with balance anymore. so it could be this, I wonder why stupid windows don't know to set it properly to the right timer, it causes a big overhead to a fast game that switches between clocks and that's why there is a big delay. The weird thing is that even with Chrome opened which was supposed to set it to 1.0ms all the time didn't do that, so it might switched after some time even with Chrome opened or it wasn't visible and it did it somewhere else by itself even when it says it's 1.0ms.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Browsers still set the resolution to 1ms on 2004+, the game should be going to 1ms on 11, the change only breaks NtSetTimerResolution in a few rare lib cases.

14. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Have you read MS pages?
    Browsers can request any timer resolution but that does not guarantee timer resolution for processes which do not request timer resolution.

Caesar likes this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The timer resolution returned is still the timer resolution used, in the cases where an application asks for 1ms and doesn't get it, the tool will return a value higher than what the application requested, these cases only occur with the criteria explicitly mentioned by the article.

"Starting with Windows 11, if a window-owning process becomes fully occluded, minimized, or otherwise invisible or inaudible to the end user, Windows does not guarantee a higher resolution than the default system resolution. See SetProcessInformation for more information on this behavior."

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Sorry, I believe MS article and not your insinuation. According to MS only app that asks for some timer resolution will get current maximum resolution of all requests made by any processes - the old behavior. And if app does not ask for timer resolution it will not get current maximum timer resolution. And even if we launch some tool which shows the current timer resolution it does not mean that this timer resolution is guaranteed by OS for the life span of that app.

That quote means that on Win11 even if app asks for timer resolution it will lose it while occluded, minimized, invisible or inaudible. And to change that default behavior the process should call SetProcessInfromation API function with specific parameters.

17. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Hi X7707.

I had some thing similar happen to me with my sound and windows 11. What help me was I turned off audio enhancements.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes it does lmao.

X7007 proved it with his workaround.

19. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  20. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    @X7007 I would suggest updating your forum profile's hardware information so we can get a better idea of what is in your current system.

If you still are using the storage hardware you have noted in your profile here, you may have pauses if you try to run certain modern games and their higher texture settings off of a hard drive.