Disable HDCP regedit

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by bluedevil, Apr 8, 2022.

1. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    No kidding. I'm listening now. The funny thing is HDCP isn't new yet he seems to assume it is. Or acts that way.

:D
    "my my computer felt more masculine I think than it has ever felt"

Blackfyre likes this.
  2. wrobles3D

wrobles3D Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650
    I always wondered why not just have a startup option like Safe mode that is for gaming with stripped backed services etc that is just intended for gaming.

3. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Yeah I never watched the video. I wanted to test it in the first page, tested it, does absolutely nothing in terms of performance or latency. And removed the registry edit.

Most these tweaks do nothing, or so little it's not even noticeable.

4. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Makes me wonder who convinced him it was. Even when I think to the PS3 days or PS4 with HDCP I never experienced lag or input latency. But... the only aspect you experience input delays on console is due to the weaker performance of the hardware. 30fps vs 60fps vs 120fps = lower Milliseconds.

The only time I had to disable HDCP on the PS4 for sessions, was for game recording because HDCP will stop the connection since it is encrypting the signal.

It's the same as everything else. You want better performance? Buy better or more recent hardware. Same goes for cars and bikes. The more power the quicker it reacts but the prices goes up with it.

5. teots

teots Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    HDCP
    HDCP affect on both audio and video. I would rather remove HDCP for better true quality and performance and reduced workload. I won't buy a more expensive high performance hardware,
    car or bike that is controlled or restricted and can't be removed.
    A controlled or restricted play thing is no fun and value..

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    hdcp doesn't affect quality, performance or workload.

get a clue.

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Cause when I used Intel it worked best with default settings.
    Not quite sure how the timers powersavings affect memory latency, if it does that could explain it, since ZEN CPU's got more latency there?

8. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    Still trying to figure out if platformtick does anything (besides an even timer), but was that actually tested to improve things or is it doing nothing in the end?

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Platformtick didn't do anything in regards to frametimes, so I went back to default, probably also best for my DAW and ASIO latency.

Disabling dynamictick on the other hand did do a slight difference with the frametimes, they go a tad lower and do not spike as high.
    With that said, I didn't do frametime recordings between enabled and disabled, only kept an eye on my onscreen graph.
    I doubt that it is better to have it enabled unless it's for a laptop/tablet or the bit of powersaving it adds is considered important.
    Probably also depends on which CPU and which of it's power saving features that are used.

10. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    If anything it reduces quality to remove it haha because you lose 4K support for example with Netflix. :D

Disabling HPET is useless for me with the 5800X from what I have tested. I no longer disable it.

I do not think it is needed for new processors.

It used to be a bit beneficial back with my 4790K.

The only "tweak" I use these days is the one made by @mbk1969
    msi mode and interrupt priority on high for audio/video/network devices.

11. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Who said it did?

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    teots, directly above me.

13. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    Ah. I hadn't fully woken up when I read your post missing the other.

14. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    I always knew something fishy with HDCP yes. because in WinXP we didn't have this crap, and since we got it in Windows 7 we started having weird crap and never-ending latency issues with mouse and keyboard. because we actually move our devices ( Keyboard/Mouse ) but on the display, it's being calculated and doing stupid things behind the scene.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    hdcp has nothing to do with any of that, and windows xp already supported hdcp.

16. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Dude relax, those were the early days of LCD displays. You were probably using a 20ms response time monitor, at 60hz maximum back then, with horrible videocards by comparison to today, and even more horrible game quality.

You're delusional if you think you had better software/hardware back then, ESPECIALLY in terms of latency and input lag.

People got spoiled by the modern day improvements and created nostalgic completely unrealistic memories of the past.

17. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    As mentioned, we had HDCP even on XP, can't really watch any HDCP protected media without.

18. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    With XP I had CRT Monitor and that's why I didn't have HDCP so did not have the issue.

I had LCD after a long time, with the CRT I did not have a single issue until I moved to LCD with all the thousands of other issues

same as above

19. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Your a TOOL BAG DUDE go crap on some other thread, some people play first person shooters and would like the fast reaction times!

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Which means you did not play any HDCP protected content either.
    Besides that HDCP on XP required driver, GPU, monitor and software player that you had to pay for, the barebone OS itself did not support it.
    Maybe those issues are related to something else, todays good LCD's are better than most of the top model CRT's from the past.
    Btw. your info shows a 6900XT while this is around HDCP support from Nvidia drivers?