Low GPU utilization in HWMonitor and games feel heavy after playing a bit.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by ClamChowder393, Mar 19, 2022.

1. ClamChowder393

ClamChowder393 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I'm starting to get frustrated with my computer.

My build:

-Ryzen 5600x

-GTX 1070

-MSI B550-A Pro

-Corsair LPX 2x8 GB 3200Mhz RAM

-Corsair RM650x Power Supply

-Samsung M.2 970 Evo Plus 250GB ssd

I think I have read every single post ever made about games starting to feel heavy or people experiencing system latency. The best way I can describe it, is that it feels like everything happens just a bit slower than normal and there is noticeable input lag. My FPS never visibly dips, it just starts happening for some reason. It only bothers me because I try to play competitive Halo and CoD and it just puts me at such a disadvantage when it starts. It has started to kill my motivation to play at all. I have researched DPC Latency, Micro-stuttering, reinstalling Windows 10 and 11, I have tried a standalone ethernet adapter, different RAM from what I'm currently using. I've overclocked my CPU to 4.6Ghz and overclocked my GPU as well. I have limited my frames all the way down to 60 and changed my monitor's refresh rate to match. I try to do as much as I can to get rid of latency and input lag. My temperatures for my GPU sit around 52C with the fans at 80% and my CPU gets to about 65C. The RAM, SSD, Chipset, and MOBO sit around 35-45C. I used HWMonitor recently and noticed under the utilization tab that GPU in game in Halo with uncapped frames was at 1-2% while frame buffer and memory were being used at about 40-50% individually. I have not turned on V-Sync since I'm trying to get rid of input lag to the best of my ability, I have also adjusted my Nvidia control panel to maximize performance in the 3D settings, including setting the preferred power mode. I've disable C-states in BIOS, made sure every single thing is up to date, and even tried the general system latency tweaks people mention including turning off high precision event timer.

Link to some HWMonitor screen grabs:

https://imgur.com/a/kcvCe0A

Let me know if there is anything you guys want me to test.

2. Xman01

Xman01 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3050
    If you have both of those games installed, that doensn't leave much room for the OS.

3. ClamChowder393

ClamChowder393 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I only use the multiplayer in each game so they are 30 & 40 GB respectively, I have other stuff on it though so it only has about 40GB left. The issue happened even when I had the games on my extra m.2 as well.

4. Odarnok

Odarnok Active Member

GPU:
    32 GB DDR3 2133 MHz
    Can you test with benchmarks like 3dmark and Unigine Heaven/Superposition?

If the problem is your setup (rig and/or OS) then will be show in results.

If not... have you change NIS/supersampling/FSR ingame or driver?

In BIOS... have you selected ECO mode or similar?

5. ClamChowder393

ClamChowder393 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I will run heaven/superposition tomorrow and reply with the results. Not familiar with what NIS, super sampling, or FSR is exactly, I don’t recognize any of those options, my card might be too old. I turned off power saving features for the CPU in bios, but I didn’t find any other power options.

6. ClamChowder393

ClamChowder393 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Here are the scores from the benchmarks

https://imgur.com/gallery/8XRgKQM

From what I can tell they seem normal.

7. Odarnok

Odarnok Active Member

GPU:
    32 GB DDR3 2133 MHz
    Yes, good scores.

Do you have access to another pc to install both games on it and test if the same thing happens? If it happens, the problem would be in the configuration of both games, if they are saved in the cloud. The solution would be to delete the configuration files and run the games so that it generates them again (better in offline mode, if possible).

You have indicated that you have even reinstalled windows... did you do it by reformatting the disk or over the previous installation?

Lastly, I understand that you don't have any mods, since you play competitively.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    cpu vrm is throttling

9. ClamChowder393

ClamChowder393 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I will delete the configuration file for both games and see what happens. I fully formatted my drive each time I installed Windows again. Yes, each game I play is vanilla.

10. ClamChowder393

ClamChowder393 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    How do I confirm it’s throttling, my temps on my CPU never go over 67C and it happened before I overclocked.

11. Odarnok

Odarnok Active Member

GPU:
    32 GB DDR3 2133 MHz
    This is possible...
    Put a fan over cpu vrms, if games go better, you nailed it

12. ClamChowder393

ClamChowder393 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I’ll give it a shot

13. ClamChowder393

ClamChowder393 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Ok I noticed in HWMonitor that when I started up Halo the voltage I have set for my CPU, 1.325, drops to 1.319 when I start the game. Is that the reason? Nothing gets even close to too hot.

14. ClamChowder393

ClamChowder393 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The CPU clock speed stays the same throughout though.

15. ClamChowder393

ClamChowder393 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The voltage went back to 1.325 immediately after closing the game.

16. Odarnok

Odarnok Active Member

GPU:
    32 GB DDR3 2133 MHz
    Have you try to delete config files?

17. ClamChowder393

ClamChowder393 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Totally forgot, will try that next

18. ClamChowder393

ClamChowder393 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Found a way to delete the steam cloud config as well as local and played an hour with no issues. I want to try playing longer tomorrow and while in a voice chat to see if it keeps working.

19. sidi0us

sidi0us Active Member

GPU:
    Intel HD4000
    Hi, if you still have issues afterwards, you can try this as well. Go into bios and set the 1st pcie (gpu) to PCIE 3.0, also make sure you have at least Agesa 1.2.0.3C bios installed, ryzen had some problems with usb before this version. Lastly, try to lower your mouse polling rate to 500Hz. Hope you figure it out.

20. Odarnok

Odarnok Active Member

GPU:
    32 GB DDR3 2133 MHz
    Then... issue is solved, I suppose (I cross fingers for your success)

P.S: the easy way to delete cloud config is deactivate cloud saves for the specific game, in the game's properties (steam app)