There are rumors about isolation of Russia`s segment of Internet...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by mbk1969, Mar 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Few things, russia's millitary budget is 5% of gdp, but that can change, I think it is easy to underestimate your opponent after so many years of no 'modern' military conflicts. just 30 years ago, the soviet union maintained an active army of >5 million personnel, even if they only could restore 1/5th of that, it is not something to be taken lightly, Your right this isn't ww2, after all russia was barely industrialized, 30 years isn't that long, is not like all of the stuff built disappears, I don't know how much of it was sold off, But again even if they could recover a fraction of that capacity, its a nightmare for anyone trying to fight them. note that this doesn't mean that they can't or wont be defeated, but the cost of such a conflict would be unacceptable and far greater than the cost of losing the entirety of Ukraine. The other issue is the real world effectiveness of technology in an war against a modern army isn't well understood imo, old equipment doesn't necessarily mean ineffective equipment, My goto example, is the disabling and loss of state of the art f117 nighthawks to 1960s soviet SAM launchers during the nato bombing of yugoslavia. We think we know how its gonna go, but in reality we can't be certain. Is putin bad enough to find out and potentially cost 100s of millions of lives ? I don't think so, times have changed, but the eagerness to be 'just' and fight is something that must be kept in line with the reality we live in. which isn't one of conventional war , but one that includes possibilities like 100mt nukes and the like.
    edit: apparently they do maintain about 1 million active personnel

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    While you are of course right, that usually doesn't end up well either. Being "pulled" into wars etc. happened after that pretty often as well, right?

3. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    That was beautiful.

4. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yep, he knows how to talk.

DannyD likes this.

5. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I'm not saying that the Russian armed forces are useless. They can make a lot of damage, as we have seen in the Ukraine, Syria, Georgia and Moldova.
    But it has a lot of problems and it lags behind the most advanced militaries in the world, in terms of tech. A good example is that China has already surpassed Russia in military tech, in everything but jet fighter engines.
    Having a lot of soldiers mean nothing if you can't equip them. Here is an example, the AK-12. It was supposed to be a revolutionary new weapon design. But it had some issues, and izhmash had no capital to continue development. And the government also had no money. So the result, was that the initial plans for the AK-12 were scraped.
    And instead Russia just made an AK-12 that is basically an AK-74 but with picatinny rails. And despite this, Russia can't even supply with the optics to fit on those picatinny rails. So only a few soldiers have them, mostly special forces.

And yes, military equipment disappears. In the Russian case, because part of it was sold off. Remember when Pepsi had one of the largest navies in the world?
    And another part was left to rot, with little to no maintenance. Remember the Kursk? Remember that Russia had 2 aircraft carriers. Now they have none. One was sold to China. And the Admiral Kuznetsov is in major disrepair.

The real threat that Russia still poses to the world is it's nuclear armament. This is the reason why NATO hasn´t committed to protecting the Ukraine, with direct military forces.

6. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I honestly think he would have made a better President than, either Biden or Trump.

Airbud and fantaskarsef like this.
  7. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Sadly I see him pass sooner than later, and it will be one of the best living Austrians to go. If not the best at the moment.

386SX likes this.
  8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
  9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    What a beautiful speech...

Airbud, 386SX, DannyD and 1 other person like this.
  10. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    He always told us he'll be back! :D

Airbud, fantaskarsef and Horus-Anhur like this.

11. TroubledThoughts

TroubledThoughts Member

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3070 Ti
    That's fair.

It is hard to articulate. The school of thought is that if situations are made bad enough without inflicting the same thing causing the problem (war in this case), it adds to the likelihood of prompting the Russian people to fix their Government instead of necessitating external factors to do just that. At least that's where people levying sanctions are coming from.

Also, I'll have to be at an impasse with you as I don't believe the majority of sanctions are against the Russian people; to the contrary, the evidence shows them to be affecting the economy in turn, Russia's Government, oligarchs, and oil/gas industry as well as SWIFT. These are linked to the Russian people as you can't have one without the other to affect one is to affect the other. The target wasn't the people, and that's where I disagree with you.

Oh that was totally a satirical post in which I was calling Putin "poop" I'm actually quite a charming fella :) far as my family members ... I mean are we talking an actual head count or do you want social security numbers or something?

user1 likes this.
  12. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    More a statement that with the way things are going, it is lose-lose for anyone that has family on both sides. Actual head counts is pointless. Like I wrote, the loss of any life diminishes us all. I have heard about stupidity from both sides.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    "The Polish Government has signed a Law that Returns Junior Military Basic Training in Core Curriculum to The Polish Education System, the Program which was removed from The Schools in the 1990s will begin again later this year, due to the Severe Escalating Tensions in the Region."

*edit*

"Russia warns Bosnia and says it will also face the same fate as Ukraine if it decides to be part of NATO"

*edit*

Russian equipment in Mykolaiv...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    The GNU/Linux community welcomes you regardless of your nationality.

15. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    It does. But all the parties are careful about not getting pulled in right now. Even with the help they give to either side.

16. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Russia doesn't want any Balkan nation to join EU or NATO. Even if most don't even have borders with Russia... Mostly because it would make either stronger. Bosnia is anyway in state of disarray with the old genocide denying and the other side of it.

17. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The old story of Panslavism and Russian influence on the Balkans comes back to my mind.

Apparently, they want to suggest Selenskyj (and / or the Ukrainian people) for the Peace Nobel Prize. There's a change.org petition, as well as the single bit of info I could quickly google (during a work break). Apparently, according to this news snippette, some politicians do also support such a thing.
    Anybody got some intel on this?

Personally, I doubt that Selenskyj deserves the peace prize because, de facto, he did nothing to bring more peace to the world. And if RU didn't attack, he would not even have been suggested... this is just so silly. It's also kind of trying to put out fire with gasoline... I doubt that giving the peace prize to UA's president will leave the decision makers any more sympathetic than they would be otherwise. Fells like it's a big act of show, a nice PR gag, instead of actually rewarding somebody trying to bring peace to the world.

Just like this price usually is... but still, I doubt it's a good idea to give the peace prize to anybody currently in war, anyway.

Airbud likes this.
  18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Just a couple images of the aftermath of russian attacks on Vyshhorods'kyi Kyiv oblast..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Russia did lose their grip on Balkans with Tito. It never got it back either. But gotta try.

Selenskyj doesn't really need such a price. He hasn't done things to aggravate either but he is basically just defending.

Also while yes it is often given as a PR stunt it has had some proper receivers too.

Airbud and fantaskarsef like this.
  20. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    Looks like Russia is trying to become a new North Korea, an isolated nuclear power who's only goal is pissing off the neighbors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.