NVIDIA GeForce 511.79 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by LocoDiceGR, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

All I know is that its been working the same way for at least 10 years and I switched TVs, monitors, GFX cards and OS (win 7 and 10) during that time without a change in behavior until this weeks new drivers.

"App windows are not moved to primary monitor spontaneously"
    I think that when I turn the TV off now with the new drivers, for a second or so it loses the connection or something. Maybe that tricks windows to move the app windows to the main monitor.

Every time I turned off my TV in the past, the main monitor goes black for a split second (like it refreshes the configuration or something). So I'm sure windows/Nvidia drivers have always noticed when the TV was turned off.
    But now in addition to the split second refresh it also moves the app windows. Maybe now it actually disables the extended mode for a split second and that triggers the move of the windows.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    @Ejziponken

Well , that can be the case - if new driver reports turned off monitor differently (like not present at all) then Windows can decide to switch modes. In that case drivers can be the culprit.
    You need to file bug report to NVIDIA.

XantaX likes this.
  3. XantaX

XantaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI 12G
    It's 1024 x amount of ram x 1.5 on min and max

4. XantaX

XantaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI 12G
    Better setup a clean windows on a new drive on a new system to make sure there are no left overs ...........LOL

5. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    No need to, Windows handles that fine by itself, neither are 1024 x and x 1.5 golden rules that should be followed.

signex, Xtreme512, SyntaX and 2 others like this.
  6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Afaik higher minimum value does nothing but steal storage space. Maximum value of 16GB is also not that much, some weird application might still exhaust virtual memory. Just leave the defaults (dynamic).

7. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Thats kinda pointless advice for a fellow whos got page file related crashes which is set to dynamic already. Needless to say that this method is one of the most common troubleshooting things on the famous sport girl resourse. And it was the only solution for crashes in me:andromeda for me, since that helped me once i left it at this value and didn't experience any crashes eversince, except that time with hags on in rdr2. Plus it helped me a lot of times with figma when i was getting out of my physical ram to simply save progress.

8. XantaX

XantaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI 12G
    Yes indeed true, windows 11 handles it's virtual memory self, for windows 10 it was a sort of golden rule, it's for me few years ago i used windows 10, it is possible that Windows 10 it also handle it's self too now.
    On windows 11 I set it to handle virtual automatically sometimes the VM it's far above the windows minimum dynamic setting....:)

9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    On Windows 10 I always had it on auto too, system allocated 9GB as the minimum, on Windows 11 it's down to 4GB, both cases with 64GB memory installed.

XantaX likes this.
  10. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    Automatic pagefile size is based on total available free hard drive space. If you have a lot free space, the pagefile size will increase and as free space is reduced, the pagefile size will decrease.
    Windows can increase the page file in the fly(if software request it) but only reduce it after a system restart.
    Windows can be kinda slow at increasing it though, so you might get crashes before windows can increase it. Per example Yuzu can go from 2GB to 8GB pagefile in just one load screen.
    You can check the event viewer and look for pagefile related crashes.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    signex and HoWxCoRe like this.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Not completely, the size increases and decreases dependent on several factors, not just available diskspace.
    As example, mine is always 4GB when Windows handles it, 356GB Free out of 418GB diskspace.
    Even disable or with the bare minimum set manually I wouldn't notice a difference with exception for some games/programs that won't start unless they see that there is a pagefile of certain size available.

Also no, you will not get crashes before Windows can increase it, even with old HDD I never seen that happen, only thing what will happen is that it takes more time.
    Yuzu should not make it go from 2GB to 8GB when Windows manages it, since Windows will set to at least 8GB by default in most circumstances.
    With SSD's there is no noticeable delay, who runs their Windows 10/11 on HDD anyway?

Virtual does not equal pagefile either.
    Also, the person with the issue has 32GB RAM, I doubt that it has anything todo with the pagefile since he has plenty of free space and Windows should have it set high enough pr. default.
    Seem more like that some application is at fault, in worst case scenario it could be some pesky virus.

@Ben Rich
    Are you closing down NZXT CAM when you update GPU drivers?
    Also, try to disable it's game hook and overlay and if you can, use another app instead if it's only for monitoring.

Almost 34GB?
    That does not look normal.
    What is VideoMemoryScale set at in Documents\Call of Duty Modern Warfare\players\adv_options.ini?
    Could also be necessary to repair the game files.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2022
    signex and aufkrawall2 like this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    All the tv's i've ever used were disconnected from the system when powered off, some when powered on but not set to hdmi, this is regardless of nvidia, intel or amd graphics.

A well written application should go not responding in the the cause of a sudden spike in page file allocation on a spinner, and then resume after.

Cod developers a significant video memory leak that spills into system memory when using gfe filters.

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Adjusting VideoMemoryScale from 0.85 down to 0.65 or lower should be sort of a fix, but not using GFE filters sounds better.

14. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

I did some reading this morning. And I found this:

"Unlike DVI/HDMI, which can power the EDID chip from the source even if the display is off, so it can still recognize the monitor, DisplayPort does not do this, so when the monitor is powered off, the screen disconnects and Windows can no longer see it, and moves things around to avoid having all your windows "stuck" on a monitor that is no longer connected."

Im using HDMI on my TV.

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Good finding. You can guess now that you will not get help here on Guru3d. Only help is available at NVIDIA if you file the bug. Chances that they will notice and fix that are small but still not zero.

PS Notice the "which can power" - so not a mandatory feature.

16. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Does the DWM spam actually affect performance in any way? Not sure whether to install this for Elden Ring or not.

17. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    doesn't seem to on my end. it must have an effect but its very slight

18. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    For what it's worth, my HDMI TVs have always disconnected frkm the PC when being turned off, unlike HDMI monitors.

19. KayserKay

KayserKay Member

GPU:
    Palit Super JS GTX 1070
    What the hell has happened? I can play the first Watch Dogs Game without stuttering and frame drops! It´s so smooth now.
    Unbelievable! This game was a terrible performer even with high end rigs. And I´m running this game from my old Hard Drive.
    Always over 60 FPS. I gained 15-20 FPS!

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1231 v3 @ 3.80GHz
    GTX 1070
    16 GB RAM
    Windows 11
    HAGS and Game Mode on

Where does this performance boost come from? Windows 11 with HAGS, Nvidia Driver???

signex likes this.
  20. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

I guess some TVs might work differently, maybe some of them turns the power 100% off while others dont.
    But in my case, my TV was working fine until the latest driver and my TV didnt change. :)

Hopefully there is a solution, maybe a registry hack or something that can change the behavior. Or maybe Nvidia/MS can fix it.