NVIDIA GeForce 511.79 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by LocoDiceGR, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

hm I guess It could be this update?
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...044-1526-bd5c4434-bec4-42e9-991d-5810d4ec52d9

Or this

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-preview-5a644b82-83f4-4cc2-a0e7-85f643252386

But I feel I only had the issue for the last few days. I think I noticed it the first time on Monday or Tuesday this week and thats when I updated the Nvidia drivers.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  3. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

Only thing I found in the win patch notes that remotely says anything about the GPU or displays is this:

• Addresses an issue that affects OpenGL and GPU reparenting in indirect display scenarios.
    But im far away from an expert. So no idea. :p

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2022

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  6. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    What does the driver do to make Lost Arks EAC block the game from launching when ASUS GPU Tweak 2 overlay is used?
    Friend of mine ran into the issue, as did I when trying out 515.36
    Is it that driver telemetry crap that I usually set NvCleanInstall to disable?

7. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

8. looniam

looniam Guest

GPU:
    RTX3060 bcuz
    as long as windows display settings is "extend these displays" both monitors are "active" regardless of power button on/off.

source; using two (or more) displays for ~15 years.

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Windows is absolutely fine with paging to other disks, the only thing you need a pagefile on your OS drive for is full kernel dump files.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The driver doesn't do anything, gpu tweak is whats blocked.

Your experience is irrelevant,

TV's when in low power standby (soft off) are not electrically connected to the GPU (Displayports employing Deep Sleep behave the same)

https://superuser.com/questions/576...when-turned-off-when-connected-via-hdmi-to-pc

Movement of windows that were on the TV is expected behavior,

Windows 11 has enhancements to move these windows back when the display is back on.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Quite sure that it does something in regards to EAC though.
    Updating the driver from some old version (he rarely updates drivers, only did it for WH3) to 511.79 caused the issue on his end.

When I installed 515.36 (could not use NvCleanInstall for that one), EAC blocked as well most probably cause of FPS Monitor.
    Going back to 511.79 via NvCleanInstall with driver telemetry disabled and EAC compatibility method checked fixed that.

12. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Make sure you reboot after the driver update. If you performed a clean install of the driver, you may experience slow performance after launching the game for the first time as the caches are being rebuilt. If the issue persists, please capture a GPUView trace about a minutes long of your gameplay where the performance drops to 16FPS:
    http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3507

13. Terje_P

Terje_P Active Member

GPU:
    2080 Ti
    Is Nvidia aware of this issue? It affects a large number of early 2000s games.
    Troubleshooting guide/Installation and download problems - PCGamingWiki PCGW - bugs, fixes, crashes, mods, guides and improvements for every PC game

Setup hanging / not starting • Link[edit]
    Specific modern applications can keep old installers from working. Usually the setup can be found running but not progressing in the Task Manager, since it will indefinitely wait for specific tasks to finish. 32-bit setups in particular are prone to suffering from this issue.

Prominent culprits are:
    • Logitech Gaming Software (logitechg_discord.exe)
    • NVIDIA Experience (nvcontainer.exe)

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This is a flaw of older installshield, not the drivers, and can be provoked by anything with an open "lock" handle on files under syswow64.

15. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

Expected behavior? Ive been using my TV with my computer for years now. And this is the first time this happens. Its most definitely is not expected.
    And switching back to previous Nvidia driver FIXES the issue. So its something wrong with the latest driver causing this issue.

And to be clear: Turning my TV off does NOT break the link between my TV and PC. I can still drag stuff to the TV while its off. I still see it in my windows settings and Nvidia control panel and its still in its "extended" mode.

The issue is only that it started moving everything on my TV to my PC monitor when the TV is off. This only happens with the latest Nvidia driver.

Windows 10
    Samsung TV (2018)

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Its expected, the fact it didn't happen previously is functional irrelevance.

17. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

So all the previous drivers and PC/TV setups from like the last 10 years was working unexpectedly and the latest works as expected?

How about the fact that moving all windows and stuff from one screen to another every time its turned off is plain stupid design? So if you work with two monitors you have to move all the windows and programs every time you sit down and power up the monitor? Is that really what's expected?

I think I stick with my theory (Occam's razor), there is a new bug in the new driver. That seems to be the simplest explanation.

Everything points to a new bug.

* Never happened before
    * Works fine with any older driver
    * Would be pretty bad design if its intended to work the way it does now

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Why? What is the point of app window on turned off monitor?

Cave Waverider likes this.
  19. Ejziponken

Ejziponken Active Member

If I play games I want to have discord and stuff on one monitor and game on the other.. It would be pretty annoying having to move the windows to the 2nd monitor every day.

Or if you work from home and you have your MS word, excel and stuff spread out on two monitors so you can see all the info without having to switch apps etc. Kinda pain to have to re-organize everything everyday.

Or if Im playing some lazy game and watch a TV show on my TV and then turn the TV off, woops then the mediaplayer switches to main monitor ontop of the game so I have to tab out and close the media player etc.

Its been working perfectly fine for years. I could switch off my TV and the windows stay there until I choose to disable the extended mode, and that would move the windows to my main monitor.

20. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I understand the benefits of second monitor, but when monitor goes off you loose them.

I still reckon that Windows is the culprit. Maybe new drivers 'talk' to Windows differently (even if incorrectly) and that triggers new behaviour. App windows are not moved to primary monitor spontaneously, only with turning secondary one off.
    Also we see exactly that new behaviour in links I posted, and it is not that new.