NVIDIA Hotfix GeForce 511.72 driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Vidik, Feb 5, 2022.

1. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4070Ti OC
    I don't know why I keep reading this thread, it's all way over my head

Things work OK for me, games work fine, Photoshop/Bridge work fine :)

I am an old man, I don't have many needs

tty8k, loracle, mbk1969 and 3 others like this.
  2. Rogerbee

Rogerbee Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX2060 6gb
    You're not alone! Everyone speaks in acronyms and I have no idea what half of them are. I just check these threads in case there are any reasons why I shouldn't install the driver. There don't seem to be any, but, the previous one to this is fine and this doesn't seem to offer any improvements so I'll wait for the next full WHQL driver and see what that brings to the table.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Whats amusing is I'm a proper tech with a minor memory issue and there are times I have to sit and work out what an acronym means before continuing and a few are lost on me until the next day when it suddenly dawns on me after reading something else.
    I appreciate the amount of information passed on would reduce a lot if everything was spelled out, just saying its not only happening to joe average at this level of tech, even techies fall over as well.
    And theres always a new one I havent encountered before with no explanation.
    Fun hey :)

big ROBOT bill, Rogerbee and mbk1969 like this.
  4. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
    Thank you. I was able to reproduce this and am going to file a bug.

5. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    When they constant of course on a 24/7 device. My laptop does about 8 gig of writes a day from registry.

6. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    472.84 Improved FF7 Remake for me, tested it today, a lot of people gave these drivers a thumbs up for the game, as to the reasons why, not sure but studio drivers do get extra QA.

7. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    Sorry, having read Nvidia's documentation I will disagree.

In the past I tend to not upgrade drivers, as I usually have never seen it worth risking new bugs to chase a 1-3% performance boost in newer games. Now of course nvidia have been adding newer features lately so there is a bit more of a reason, plus I wanted to try and resolve issues in FF7 Remake.

As far as Studio drivers go, according to Nvidia these do include "previous" gaming fixes, but the difference from game ready drivers is they have a longer period of quality assurance, especially in creativity workloads. It doesnt mean the drivers wont work for games or are slow in games. Consider game ready drivers akin to beta, and studio akin to a stable branch. Game ready, you get the newer features quicker, but also a higher risk of regression.

Ormy, Xtreme512 and drewho like this.
  8. Rogerbee

Rogerbee Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX2060 6gb
    Yeah, I'm sure I'll get there. My other hobby was collecting 1/6 figures and the one main forum I frequented was full of ex forces guys and their acronyms were even worse than here! If I install the driver and it works I'm happy. I started off with Geforce Experience, then one of the drivers it suggested completely borked my system, so, out that went and I've been coming here for drivers ever since. I always get rid of the old one with DDU and then do a clean install. I haven't had many issues since. You get people on Steam saying "Game won't start!" or "It crashes here!" and yet my copy has been totally fine every time. Where there have been issues, I have to dig hard to find answers, but, I do get there. Sometimes I'll try several 'solutions' and one works, however, I can't remember which of the fixes did the trick, so I can't tell anyone else how I fixed it.

People mentioned Windows Game Mode and HAGS a lot, but, both of them gave me less FPS. Game developers don't know what you're personally running, so it's likely that a lot of their tests are done with minimal 'helpers' turned on.

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    8 gig per day is ~100KB per second. Even an HDD is capable of about 1000 times more. It's a complete non issue.

10. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    For the vast majority of people, just installing the latest drivers is fine, yes, i notice issues some have or performance differences, but is not something you need to worry about like some do here.

big ROBOT bill likes this.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I also hope you guys can solve the nvidia NIS issue that when you run a game at native res, NIS causes a performancy penalty, sometimes, you can lose 5 to 10 fps even with sharpening at 0%, depending on the game. Has this been looked at? As well as having separate filters for sharpening and resolution scaler, not having both of them tied together, that makes no sense.

I also noticed that most drivers after 446.14 have increased cpu usage, this seems to affect more cpu's with 8 threads or less, it is easy to test, easily seen at rdr2, i hope you guys can have a look at this too, but i know this is unlikely.

Cheers!

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    But please keep the smoothness of 511.65 driver :)

13. SatsuiNoHado

SatsuiNoHado Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    i tested that driver on 1803 and saw ZERO difference for the cpu usage on one of my system while playing rdr2 dx12 or vulkan moreover that driver took away my mouse responsiveness too..
    if you use framerate limiter with keeping passive waiting option disabled this unfortunately increases cpu usage about %8-12 even though on pop up info box it says "SLIGHTY" increase cpu power comsumption.. this %8-12 happens on an i7 6700k 4.6ghz fixed clock

14. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Yeah i have that disabled, but i still get this problem. You say you are on 1803, so could be an issue with Windows 20H2 and newer nvidia drivers, but i am not gonna format just to test that lol.

15. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Probably that popup info box is simply intended for those who can read, think and have a basic understanding of hardware and software functioning princpiles?
    That popup clearly says that busy waiting maximizes load on single rendering thread. And yes, such empty waiting loop on one CPU core is not a heavy workload pattern at all, it results in just a few extra watts of total CPU power consumption. You don't seem to understand what CPU load metrics means at all.
    If CPUs were functioning like you (____WRONGLY___) assume and it would be enough to load the core with simple empty loop - it won't be necessary to design complex CPU stress-test applications ever.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You need to provide the traces!!!!!!

It won't get investigated without initial traces :mad:

HoWxCoRe likes this.
  17. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    For whats it worth i'm on 6700k, gtx1080, win10 21h2 latest update and driver i am on is 496.49 rdr2 on vulkan runs real smooth actually on hdd lol. Since i disabled async compute for that game i haven't seen any major stutters (except streaming ones) nor any crashes. Game is heavy modded like maybe 25mods, no hags, low latency off in nvcp, very responsive on wired viper dpi 3200, fps limit is on 65 in rtss. And i would say that i would've been on 511 already if not previous gsync issue and now that dwm thing, just waiting for next fixed driver. My working apps such as ps, ai and figma are also doing ok, no issues not with ms updates nor with nv drivers.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  18. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    rdr2 is optimized to run without hitching or stutter even on hdd, that's nothing special and overall, is one of the few games on pc that isn't plagued with area stutter load or slowdowns due to your storage. I will give the 496 driver shot again soon, that one seemed good.

19. disq

disq Member Guru

GPU:
    Anyone else surfing these forums that play Apex Legends regularly and can leave some feedback on this?

There's an on-going issue with shaders cache and this game; i saw this thread on nvidia forum from some months ago: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforc...ading-and-compiling-shaders-for-apex-legends/ - although the OP says it takes 5-7 minutes to compile them, now it takes less but the symptom is still present to this day.

Every game launch there's this message at the start:

Untitled.png

From some feedback i saw online, this issue doesn't seem to be present with amd cards.

Any way to trace this down?

20. Is there any more details about that 473.11 driver? I'm just guessing based on the version number, but it seems the same as 472.84 NSD, only with VK 1.3 support? Presumably it wouldn't have any of the 500-branch changes?