NVIDIA Hotfix GeForce 511.72 driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Vidik, Feb 5, 2022.

1. newls1

newls1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    What is the process for checking to see if I have this issue or not? Do I need to DL a certain program to check this? I will say tho that performance seems great with the only game I use (fc6) so I’m not gonna change drivers but just wanted to check if I too am having this issue so I can report it too. Thank you

2. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    also getting the dwm.exe spam, switched from displayport to hdmi and it goes away

3. ValSidalv21

ValSidalv21 Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090 TUF OC
    You need to download Process Monitor form Microsoft and set filters to include "process name is dwm.exe" and "path contains nvlddmkm". Didn't notice anything wrong until I read about it here and decided to check. Not sure if I should go back a few drivers or ignore it until is fixed.

newls1 likes this.
  4. DonMigs85

DonMigs85 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 Ventus
    Is Guardians of the Galaxy really prone to random graphical corruption or glitches? Almost got a heart attack earlier thinking my GPU was dying.

5. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Guest

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    Noticed flicker on load screens for games and while using photoshop.

6. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    This isn't a forum for sarcasm or for you be a smartass. If you think this driver is the very best, then that's fine, all of these new drivers cause way higher CPU usage for me (this using a "better" CPU than yours, an i7 4770 and makes some games stutter even more), only drivers from 446.14 and below don't give me this problem. I believe this is caused by nvidia driver overhead problem, since you know better than me, with these sort of replies, i'll assume you know what that is. A driver that causes higher CPU usage for no real reason can't be superior to others. And is not even related to any sort of cache re-bulding itself or anything similar because even after a day of using these drivers, the situation doesn't change.

Yeah, nice tests results, posting nothing to mock others and then simply saying "these drivers are better, because I said so.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2022
    Ormy likes this.
  7. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    was this dwm.exe spam issue present before the hotfix?

8. ThatPizzaGuy

ThatPizzaGuy New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER
    Guys is there any downsides to this dwm.exe ? everything seems ok for me regarding fps and performance but honestly these comments makes anyone paranoid. what's the downside of these dwm.exe spams as u guys mentioned.

9. Mapson

Mapson Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super 8GB
    Not the intention.

For reference, full tests added to original post under 'spoiler tag' and here's a quick screen grab of the spreadsheet with all the data showing that 511.xx matches or exceeds older golden driver sets. Note that resolution / scaling settings in games are custom ( but consistent ) and can't be compared with game defaults for medium / high / ultra etc.

[​IMG]

Drilled down comparison between 511.xx and 446.14 / 442.59 as you've mentioned 446.41 is fine and 442.59 is generally considered one of the best 44x.xx drivers.

[​IMG]

EDIT: added comparison with 511.xx and 446.14 / 442.59, added full conversation thread for reference, updated screenshot.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    You will want to disable gsync entirely for photoshop, it cannot be guaranteed it won't be treated to MPO promotion and behave like a fullscreen app.

The loading screen flicker has always existed with variable refresh technologies.

Smiley_ie likes this.

11. Nector

Nector Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS
    Yes, in 511.23. Disable Adaptive Sync in monitor and VRR in Windows Display Setting - didn't work

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
  12. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    I just went through these steps and have zero entries. I am using a single monitor hooked up via HDMI 2.0 @ 2160p/60. Driver seems to run pretty well so far today.

13. ThatPizzaGuy

ThatPizzaGuy New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER
    Can someone inform us if there's any downsides to this dwm.exe spam issue ? any harms on the monitor or hardware or anything else ?

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    tiny increase to idle cpu usage.

15. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Man Ive been having dwm.exe "spikes" for over 10 years with video wallpapers, custom visual style themes...Always in my top 3-5 processes. If it doesn't hurt performance (and not a bug) I say go with it and use your hardware.

16. SeaRowerBob

SeaRowerBob Member

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3060 Ti
    Except they introduced a gsync issue, and now with this "fix" they've introduced another issue.

BoomSlang001 likes this.
  17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Except nobody mentioned ruined gaming experience. Everyone here just post ProcessMon screenshots with lots of events.

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Disabling Adaptive Sync on the monitor itself stops the dwm spam on my end as well.

Also got to point out, to see the issue the filter has to point to the connected monitor data registry itself, Ohmer's filter settings didn't show the issue on my end once the monitor was properly set (reinstalled it's driver and changed to 10bit color depth), pointing directly to it shows that the 1000 queries per second still go on.
    Example: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvlddmkm\State\DisplayDatabase\SAM7058H4ZR100963_02_07E5_2F\MonitorDataRegistryKey

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Indeed, if Ohmer wouldn't have brought it up we probably wouldn't notice since it doesn't seem to affect gaming performance.
    It might be noticeable on systems with less cores/thread though, since the dwm spam can push up to 5% usage.

20. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    Findings and impressions so far:

YES, dwm.exe is spamming - Fix one thing, break another.

NO, since introduction of DHC 496 to current hotfix, the black polygon issue is not resolved for those of us without MS store and appx. Reproducible on multiple systems, issue IS RESOLVED by reverting to standard 472 or below

NO, the issue with Dp 1.4 DSC and HDMI 2.1 while in 10 bit mode blank/black long (1-4 sec) delays in switching applications has not been resolved. Reproducible on multiple systems, using same type of monitors PA32UCG, PA32UCX. PA32UCK and PA329Q. However issues IS RESOLVED by reverting to standard 472 or below.

Zoom up and think about it, the issue are resolved by reverting to standard 472 driver or below (472, 471 466...)

NO, I have not benchmarked these or compared performance.... why bother? The bigger issues need fixing first.

YES, I've filled out several tickets, but have not done so on 509 - 511 series because... why bother? They won't fix it because they have a reason (houses of cards) why its broke since 496 dch that is more important or prevents them from fixing the side effect issues.

YES, I'm back on standard 472.47 where all these issues magically go away.

Hope that helps.

ps - sorry for a lack of benchmark updates, my concern was on seeing if the other issues (important to me) got fixed.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2022