AMDs net income nearly tripled in 2021.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD yesterday published their earnings report for the fourth quarter of the year, completing the year's data and demonstrating a significant Ryze (pardon the pun) over the 2020 numbers....

AMDs net income nearly tripled in 2021.

Embra and Maddness like this.
  2. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2X ASUS TUF 4090 OC
    Two days ago I purchased AMD shares at $99.85 per share. Today they're at $122.76. This is the 3rd time I've made a major stock investment with AMD. I've always kept my eye on them. AMD stock has been the most profitable for me personally. It is very sporadic. One must get in when it's low.

Dr. Lisa Su is the best thing that has happened to AMD.

Maddness likes this.
  3. Sith

Sith Member

GPU:
    GTX EVGA 1080TI SC2
    I advise people to buy gold and silver, they are massively undervalued.
    For stocks good for AMD, but the amount of fake money printed, makes the massive over-evaluation of stocks kind of normal.

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'm kicking myself I didn't (rather couldn't easily) buy a load of AMD stock when they were $1.50 a share...

5. Sith

Sith Member

GPU:
    GTX EVGA 1080TI SC2
    If you bought AMD shares at 1.50USD , 7 years ago , then man you will be a multi millionnaire.

Falkentyne likes this.
  6. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    no wonder the markups are super high and consoles sell very well too

7. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    There is small errors in the news :

Net profit was $3.2 billion in 2021 (not 2018)

The Business, Embedded, and Semi-Custom division, which includes the EPYC processors and graphics cards for AI, the new chips for Tesla, and the chips for the latest Playstation and Xbox, among other products, had nearly double higher revenue (had lower revenues than the previous year : 2.2B in 2021 ; 1.2 in 2020)

I'll add that if you listen to their earnings report, they expect to "ryse", but they also expect a flattish PC market this year. So in the end they expect to mostly take shares from Intel in a "non growing" CPU/APU environment. GPU will remain tight the whole year, so we don't have to ask on that side what will happen.

8. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    THat is precisely my point.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Mind boggling indeed. When you think about it amd 5 years ago was on the edge of a bankruptcy and just to release zen arch.

Maddness likes this.
  10. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    This has be one of the best comebacks ever in the industry.
    Lisa Su should send a thank you note to Brian Krzanich, for slowing down development at Intel so much, during his reign as CEo.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Incredible how she turned around the company and she aint stopping there. :D

12. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    My only complaint is that she increased prices as much she could.
    But without money, the company can't pay it's debts and invest in better products.

m4dn355 and Undying like this.
  13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    It´s okay, i´m even worse than you.

Years ago i thought of buying some AMD stock because i was certain that their server CPUs would rock. The funny/stupid part is that the stock was around 11€ and i didn´t want to pay more than 10€ for them, so i didn´t buy any...

Feel free to laugh all you want because i was that stupid!...

BLEH! likes this.
  14. DownwithEA

DownwithEA Active Member

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Making stock decisions based on forum posts from people you don't know is about as bad as investing in a company at an all time low simply because it's low.

15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    As well as one to miners. RDNA and RDNA2 are ok but both were a bit underwhelming, yet they're all being sold out anyway.

I just really hope that AMD can use this money to really vamp up R&D.

Maddness likes this.

16. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    There going to have you use a huge chunk of it to be competitive with getting a share of chips from TSMC.

17. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I think AMD's rise was rather foreseeable before Ryzen 1000 series. It's just that people wanted to believe intentional rumours of the company going bankrupt or being sold rather than use their own brains (disclaimer: I don't own AMD stock or any other stocks). News that create big waves, those are the ones that count. It's already foreseeable that Zen 4 will be very successful if no major manufacturing issues or similar obstacles arise. How even RDNA3 can go wrong when the basis from RDNA2 is so solid? How Lovelace or Intel's Arc could be that much ahead if at all?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Absolutely not. The company owed $2.4B in long term loans that were coming up, they were posting loss after loss every quarter, they literally sold off their HQ and rented it back to save money. Ryzen was a hailmary and it worked but it was 100% not foreseeable. The stock wouldn't have been trading for $2 per share if it was foreseeable.

19. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    It was if you ever checked their designs when they showcased the upcoming architecture. Other factors count in too like who they hired. Also Intel played extra lazy back then, focusing only on laptops. Don't try to fool yourself (nor me). Even if majority couldn't see it coming, that doesn't mean the marks were not there.

EDIT. What I didn't see coming was Intel's problems with their 10 nm fab and how long it would take to make it work - that was a true surprise, at least to me. That contributed to the success of AMD in a major way, but even if they would not had those issues Ryzen would have sold well I assume.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  20. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Bulldozer looked like it was going to be quite good, in design and on paper, so i'm not sure that was a for sure thing either...

HandR and Why_Me like this.