Intel was going to make an SSD that could be overclocked - but plans got canned

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 28, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    386SX likes this.
  2. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    just what we need, K-versions of SSDs for a premium,compatible with Z-series motherboards only.

3. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    Such a good idea to overclock something that is for holding your precious data safe...

4. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Here is the full interview, for anyone curious.

5. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Good thing this stupid crap didn't come out. Because you would have to have a k model just to overclock it with the Z series board just because it's Intel.

6. pirlampas

pirlampas Member

GPU:
    Quadro K620 (temp)
    I'd think this is a terrible idea. We can more or less go along with CPUs or GPUs misbehaving or even crashing because of unstable overclocks, but an overclock on a data storage could mean corrupted data being stored, and voilĂ  there goes your system. Of course you can also implement some kind of in-between control system to ensure the data being saved is correct, but that can negate any kind of OC gain easily.

7. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  8. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Crazy idea... the thing would be totally corrupted by bad data with a few days of most users amateur overclocking attempts.

I even had to dial back the speed of my main system RAM recently from 3400MHz back to 3200MHz (Ryzen X570) - as I was getting strange problems with downloads failing with CRC type errors - it was only because these downloads did this kind or error checking that the memory corruption was diagnosed. It was only when I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool during boot-up, that I found this:

<NumPagesTested>8332689</NumPagesTested>
    <NumPagesUnTested>1759</NumPagesUnTested>
    <NumBadPages>307</NumBadPages>
    <T1NumBadPages>0</T1NumBadPages>
    <T2NumBadPages>0</T2NumBadPages>
    <T3NumBadPages>134</T3NumBadPages>
    <T4NumBadPages>0</T4NumBadPages>
    <T5NumBadPages>0</T5NumBadPages>
    <T6NumBadPages>0</T6NumBadPages>
    <T7NumBadPages>0</T7NumBadPages>
    <T8NumBadPages>0</T8NumBadPages>
    <T9NumBadPages>173</T9NumBadPages>
    <T10NumBadPages>0</T10NumBadPages>
    <T11NumBadPages>0</T11NumBadPages>
    <T12NumBadPages>0</T12NumBadPages>
    <T13NumBadPages>0</T13NumBadPages>
    <T14NumBadPages>0</T14NumBadPages>
    <T15NumBadPages>0</T15NumBadPages>
    <T16NumBadPages>0</T16NumBadPages>

I couldn't find anywhere online explaining exactly what the T3 and T9 tests are, to narrow down the exact problem (if anyone knows I would be grateful!).

My computer has been running for a very long time with these settings, so who knows what kind of corruption and crashing was going on with me knowing.

And I DID always run Windows based memory tests after the overclocking (using that Ryzen memory overclocking/tuning tool), including OCCT which I thought caught all errors, but none of them did find anything.

9. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    I agree totally and I can talk as when I was toying with my Z390 9900k overclock after several BSOD my system drive which was on an NVME got corrupted
    impossible to boot->unrepairable OS->cloned an image of it with an USB keys->3/4 of the files were corrupt correct sizes correct names and all but they contained garbage

even pictures and text files I hadn't touched for a year everything got corrupted and you couldn't reinstall windows on top of it as it left scrambled files breaking the OS
    I had a clone of the drive but 2 weeks old, would have been catastrophic otherwise

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I thought we were all enthusiasts here? Since when do any of you like the idea of being restricted from overclocking? Intel could've done what they've always done - void the warranty if you do overclock. Only an idiot would OC their storage and put something important on it, but not everyone uses storage for critical/irreplaceable data. Should we not have the right to be stupid about our hardware?
    If any of you OC your CPU or RAM on a work PC, you are threatening the accuracy of the data, especially if you're not using ECC RAM. The difference with storage is you can do checksums, or use a filesystem that stores multiple versions of the same file.

In any case, people's obsession over storage performance has always been rather strange to me, considering how only a small handful of real-world applications actually really take advantage of something like a x4 lane NVMe drive.

386SX likes this.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No wonder Intel sold their ssd business.

12. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Such a foolish idea in the first place.
    I do my best to keep my storage cool to prevent problems (NAND chips have air blown over them where possible).
    I wont buy an SSD that gets too hot with a heatsink.

13. David3k

David3k Member Guru

GPU:
    Graphics Processing Unit
    "Overclocking Lead Engineer" is a job that needs to look for work because it's a solution looking for a problem.

Who in the flying hell thinks that department is a good idea and not just something that should be folded into their Testing and Validation teams?

14. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    How is that appreciably different from overclocking a CPU, processing your precious data, or memory, holding your precious data?

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    There are many tools to help establish the overclock is safe without later losing/corrupting data on the way to a drive.
    And the chance of corrupting a drive is not high, especially if its not plugged in when testing the overclock ;)

16. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    When RAID6 with Hot Spares may be more destructive than RAID0, noted ... :D

17. Pryme

Pryme Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800 SWFT
    Overclock SSD? Nice, let me buy another Noctua NH-D15 and mount on this bad boy!!

18. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    What i don't get is if the ssd can run faster then why not just release them pre overclocked? Seems they wanted to give you that option and then when it goes tits up there's no chance of any warranty returns.

Also i thought SSD's can only reach 550mb/s and no way to increase that number without M.2 drives.

19. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    M.2 drives are SSDs also.
    M.2 is a form factor not a drive type. SSD means Solid State Drive, any drive that uses ICs instead of spinning platters is an SSD.

20. Bitey

Bitey Member

GPU:
    Fury X fx5
    back in the day when pci bus speeds were a fixed ratios to main bus, overclocking would also OC the pci and ide/sata controllers and other devices.

It would give an nice boost in interface speed, but corruption and killing devices was not that uncommon side effect.

a bad idea in general