3080 Owner's thread!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Syranetic, Sep 17, 2020.

1. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Yeah, way to go Nvidia. As expected, first fail of the year. This will probably make it to GN's 2022 disappointment Tee at the end of the year. The 3080Ti cost less when it first came out, while performing slightly better.

2. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    They increased the MSRP to match current prices, is that true? Even the old 3080Ti price was a joke compared to the 3080 MSRP at launch.

3. mezball

mezball Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus RTX 4080
    Right now at EVGA in USA, the RTX 3080 Ti XC3 Gaming is $1209, while the RTX 3080 12Gb XC3 Gaming is$1249. But, you cannot get either one.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme

5. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  6. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC

It might be that the GPU boosts higher than the 3080ti. The power consumption was just slightly higher than the 3080ti (555 vs 552). If the vcore is roughly similar, that would mean the 3080 is clocking higher.

Maybe some workloads benefit more from clockspeed than core count? Watch Dogs is another example.

7. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    In preparation

préparation pour la CG.jpeg

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
  9. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    nappys ... ?

Things to do cuts on properly ?

10. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    I hope google translate is wrong...

11. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    lol, I was just playing.
    It looked initially like a baby cleaning kit :D

12. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    ;)

13. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    Heya, first time trying to undervolt something and i heard it's quite good to do on a 3080.
    So i was wondering if you could go over my settings and check if it's okay.

My card is a Gainward 3080 Phoenix 12gb.
    These are my settings: It's currently sitting at 1905mhz @0.950mv
    I'm not sure if i need to max out Power and Temp limit, or leave at stock settings.
    Memory Clock is unchanged, so is Core Voltage.(not sure if i need to change anything there)

https://imgur.com/a/IPQwQEu

14. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Max out the power limit, go as low on your voltage as you can for the speed you're shooting at.

Maddness likes this.
  15. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    what about core voltage? should i not touch that at all?
    and what about the overall settings i have? should i leave it like that for now?

16. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Undervolting is a good thing to do if you're trying to save power. If you want max. performance, read on...

Core voltage increases don't seem to do anything with the 3000 series afaik. It wouldn't help anyway because you are power limited.

Yes, max out power and temp limit, that will cause the card to boost higher.

Memory can be overclocked too. On my 3080ti, memory overclock does provide some benefit so I imagine it would on a 3080 as well. YMMV.

17. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    I dont really care about power saving tbf, what about the auto curve OC tool inside MSI AB? should i give it a go?
    and what is a safe value on memory oc? +500mhz?

18. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Theres little value in reducing power use im experience.
    Memory overclock is entirely dependent on your actual card and cooling performance, it doesnt do much anyway.

My 3090 card would barely overclock at all, memory or GPU.
    Then I found my GPU Hotspot temp was way too high so took apart my card and found part of the GPU had no paste on it!
    After repasting I now get a much better GPU overclock and +700MHz memory, although I had also fitted a heatsink to the backplate of my card which helps cool memory better.
    Its worth checking the hotspot on your card anyway, it can tell you if there is a problem.

Use HWinfo32 to find your hotspot temp.
    It should be around 11C higher than GPU temp.
    The GPU has many heat sensors all over, the hotspot is the hottest of any of them, whether idle or under load it changes relatively only within 1C.
    Mine was 23C higher than GPU temp so I repasted the card and it dropped to +10C.
    The lowest I heard of is +6C over GPU temp.

19. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    You’re setting core voltage through the v/f curve. I used my default clocks as a baseline and set a curve that simply saves me 100-120W.
    Then I have another curve, roughly 100MHz higher, that almost maxes out my power limit.
    I could set that speed on the default profile too, but then the card throttles down a lot and the clock rates are as unstable as the frame rates.
    I always use a v/f curve and I always set power limit to max (450W in my case).
    You can set a memory overclock but it won’t do much to help performance. I’d leave it at default.

20. BlackNova92

BlackNova92 Master Guru

GPU:
    16gb
    Since i was playing around with my card and try to undervolt it. i set it to 1950mhz @900-950mv.
    Everytime i restart, the values inside of the curve monitor change, instead the 1950 it was set to 2010 and the maximum frequenty changed from 2040mhz to 2100 @1.162mv
    Obviously i won't be using my card with these values but why is it constantly changing and not
    staying at the value i set it to?

It's also odd that, when i preview my profile, it has the correct values @1950 but as soon as i click apply it goes up to 2010 instead.

this stuff is so confusing, but probably minor.

even in the middle of playing, it changes again from 1950 to 2k, why is it doing that?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022