NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    If you look
    The 2D ys games do use Software Rendering. But AFIK Ys Seven is a DX9 game that uses the GPU to render the game. The game can run at high native resolutions, I don't think even modern CPUs would be able to render a game at 4k with a playable framerate.
    Maybe you were thinking of Ys I & II? All of the Ys VI Engine games (Ys Origin,Loh VI FC/SC/The 3rd, Ys VI, Ys III remake, Xanadu Next) all support Software rendering as an option. But all modern releases use hardware acceleration by default.

If you look in the spreadsheet you'll see a workaround I was able to make work using DGVoodoo2
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/nvidia-anti-aliasing-guide-updated.357956/page-239#post-5875468

KainXVIII likes this.
  2. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
  3. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I played for a bit and didn't have any issues that I could see with MSAA.. Loading times I dont' feel would be enough of a deal breaker. Especially compared to playing on UMD on original hardware.

KainXVIII likes this.
  4. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Doesn't look blurry to me so much as the original game has a lot of aliasing. I'll take minor softness over the aliasing personally. And the aliasing I saw what I played of Ys Seven was pretty egregious.
    You might try using a negative LoD bias and even trying to use MFAA alongside the 2xMSAA.

KainXVIII likes this.
  6. Gonzo32

Gonzo32 Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    Have you seen this guys?

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nvidia-ai-powered-dldsr-unveiled-dsr-replacement-upgrade.538091/

DLDSR - Essentially use DLSS to get the game to a higher resolution than your monitor, and then scale the image down. Basically combines the two above, eg run the game internally at 1080p, AI upscale to 1620p, and then downscale to 1080p.

This is amazing, do you think that this new technology could help with specular aliasing? I know that technically speaking DSR doesnt remove specular aliasing but I wonder if this could help tho

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It remains to be seen what it actually does. Because if it can't interface with any of the actual rendering process of the game, it's not going to amount to much more than maybe real time Waifu2x scaling. Maybe it's actually hooking into the rendering somehow else in a global way. What if a game doesn't have motion vectors or other things necessary?
    How good of a baseline do you have to feed it to work well? How about how it handles the myriad artifacts present in games using TAA? Which typical are worse the lower resolution your input is. (Hence why FSR often looks like garbage)

The comparison they showed off was frankly mediocre and used upscaled captures with no access to the raw images. And there is no video footage either.

I'll definitely try to test it thoroughly the first chance I get. I'd love for this to turn out to be good. You have no idea.

Markie and KainXVIII like this.
  8. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Well yeah but downscaled to my 1080p monitor most of the jaggies are gone :) And this is without ingame FXAA option.

9. Markie

Markie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950 2Gb
    DLDSR isn't exactly what most people are intuitively assuming it to be (DSR+DLSS). According to the Nvidia page linked, it isn't game or DLSS support dependent, all you need is a RTX GPU and it's all done at driver level just like DSR. It involves deep-learning and tensor cores, but is not as specialized as DLSS.

10. Gonzo32

Gonzo32 Member

GPU:
    Rtx2080ti
    I just tried and it doesnt remove specular aliasing. Goddammit

Edit: just tried this with TAA reshade shader and the result is surprisingly good. I am testing it with Yakuza 6 which has tons of jaggies

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Oh please no, do not use the Reshade TAA shader. That shader is beyond garbage in terms of AA quality. And the artifacts are off the chart.

12. L0cke

L0cke Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    Having trouble with a somewhat obscure mmo - Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. It was always finnicky with anti-aliasing, depending on your card and driver sometimes it would work and sometimes not. Have a gtx1080 and cannot get AA working at all anymore. It uses the unreal 2.5 engine so I tried 0x080100c5 but it doesn't work; it produces artifacts and graphical glitches. Tried different versions of AA, AA fix on/off, different compatibility modes.. still nothing.

Is there any other modes for Unreal 2.5 or is the Mass Effect mode the only one?

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Try 0x084010C1

14. L0cke

L0cke Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1080
    That code didn't work but I went through every code on the list and tried it, turns out that any code ending in 12C1 seems to work to a degree. 0x000012C1, 0x404012C1, and 0x080012C1 give the same effect. The only issue is that its the same AA no matter what setting I use, 2x or16x gives the same outcome. It's better than nothing though.

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    To be clear, are you trying to force MSAA? Differences will be less pronounced between those modes, but if you weren't aware you should only be using 2x,4x and 8xQ modes for MSAA on a modern Nvidia GPU.
    To get MSAA compatibility you typically need to swap C1 with 41
    If you think you are seeing the same results, post some screenshots and try to get as an *exact* match for the same shot as possible.

16. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    Hi pardon the odd bump but I am replaying the game (D4 Dark dreams don't die) with a newer GPU and can use DSR.
    I am at 1440p resolution and enabling some DSR RESOLUTIONS.
    With the patched launcher, I chose 2160p, but the game is still aliased.
    I tried using the AA bit
    0x080000C1

But it doesn't apply unfortunately. Any tips to getting some worthwhile AA applied to the game please?

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    D4 is a DX11 game AFIK. So what you can do is limited.

Tizoc likes this.
  18. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    Ack fair enough. I may have managed to get DSR working as I wrote but I do notice aliasing in a few models/textures ^^;

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Best you can do is just use some Post Process AA like FXAA/SMAA when downsamling sadly.

Tizoc likes this.
  20. Tizoc

Tizoc Active Member

GPU:
    GTX970M
    Gonna try that with reshade.