LG Display Introduces Innovative Display Technologies at CES 2022 including OLED.EX,

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 3, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. jose2016

jose2016 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX 580 8gb
    The ips black sounds good, but they will put it out at an excessive price.

3. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    I know its the way forward, but it pisses me off that almost everything new is 4K only. Even for gaming displays where most people cant afford to change GPU's every 1 to 2 years to the newest and greatest just to keep up with 4K especially now when a top tier GPU that can run 4K somewhat decent costs as much or even more than the display itself.

4. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Don't all new tech things start at 'excessive' prices? I waited until my ASUS PG35VQ was reduced by £700 in the November 2020 Black Friday sale week. Before that it was at an 'excessive' price. I wait until new games are 50% reduced before I will buy them, often I pay 25-30% of the original price of the game.

5. ChisChas

ChisChas Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Suprim X 4090
    Do you really expect new TV's (that are also suitable for gaming) to be less than 4K nowadays? There are lots of 1440 gaming monitors around, most at reasonable prices. Who apart from a comparatively small number of gamers would buy TV monitors at 1440 as against 4K? I chose a UW 1440 gaming monitor for a number of reasons and feel no compelling need to go to 4K for gaming until I wish to.

6. vazup

vazup Guest

GPU:
    r9 280X
    I meant for monitors, the IPS Black the mini leds(Yes, I know that AOC introduced one with fald 1440p but its not even close to the best 4K mini led monitors right now.) every cool new monitor feature comes only with a 4k monitor and that is BS. Im not against premium price tag for a decent monitor and I bet that that even a lot of people who have top of the line GPU's would want newest and greatest tech in a 1440p package for better frame rates.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    i sincerely doubt that. that is i mean they won't be more expensive than their Ultragear lineup, which this is designed to replace.
    the biggest area of improvement is simply lighting. the so-called "IPS glow" is an artefact of poorly designed edge lighting.
    you may notice there are very few complaints of "IPS glow" on FALD (or backlit) IPS screens.
    the back reflector is going to be highly engineered, but aside from the cost of creating the mold there is very little in the way of added production costs.

8. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
  9. If anyone is interested, these are the specs of their new IPS Black panels:
    https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/lg-ul...k-ips-black-panel-for-improved-contrast-ratio

"The screen is 31.5″ in size and offers a 3840 x 2160 “4K” resolution, 5ms G2G response time (on max ‘Faster’ setting), an impressive (for an IPS panel) 2000:1 contrast ratio, 400 cd/m2 brightness, 178/178 viewing angles, 10-bit colour depth and a wide colour gamut covering 98% of the DCI-P3 reference."

So, in a nutshell, 5ms IPS panel with very impressive 2000:1 static contrast ratio. That is the first significant boost for IPS panels in 10 years. I really hope these new panels will be as good as I hope.

tunejunky likes this.