Sony PlayStation 5

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by tsunami231, Apr 16, 2019.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    in theory it is, but that 6month warranty they put on these is also put off too, consider the official one get 1 year , like said gone see what happens for not back to enjoying my ps5

2. garyb

garyb Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    What are you doing with your controllers !!! never had any issues with any controller ever.

3. dave6479

dave6479 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780ti SLI
    His controller sounds like it got the same type of abuse my F5 key had when I was trying to grab a PS5 all those months ago, my keyboard has never been the same since.

Ghosty likes this.
  4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    That is possibility the funniest post of the year.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Whatever you do never buy a PowerA controller.. the build quality on those things are absolutely atrocious

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB

Ghosty likes this.
  7. ^ That was quite unexpected... and also quite disappointing.

8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    [​IMG]

Keitosha likes this.
  9. ^ Exactly..
    But overall it looked objectively worse than the Forbidden West gameplay. I guess it will be some kind of smaller-scale spinoff for Sony's VR hardware.

KissSh0t likes this.
  10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Sony @ CES 2022.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    VR reminds me of mobile phone gaming with touch controls. Developers haven't been able to figure out how to make the gameplay enjoyable on either with what they offer. I don't see VR ever being more than a niche segment. It's too exclusionary. When a room of people can't enjoy what you're doing the same way then there's a problem.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Screw VR give holographic games. I remember seeing a few as kid but really rudimentary and if remeber correctly "fighter" and it was really just steam come off machine with video project on to making it look holographic.

I could careless about VR though, I enjoy not getting headaches and they all give me headaches and areuncomfortable to wear to boot

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I can't wait for the PSVR2, i love the PSVR and still use it to this day, so the PSVR2 will be a fantastic upgrade, and Sony made the right choice on staying with Oled, as i have now ditched the Index and Quest II as for me LCD HMDs are dead and i won't touch another one as they are trash at every level, and moreso once you have used the glorious deep black levels and vibrant colours that Oled bring with it, comapred to the grey black levels and washed out colours of a LCD panels, so well done Sony, you already have my cash, can't wait. :)

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Thng about oled is once you go oled everything is gona look like trash. it why I have not switch to oled, till I get monitor that is oled to go with oled tv and good luck getting 28 in oled with having to depart with a few limbs. will stick to led no matter how much they such and i hate them.

The cost of oled to still to expensive for 50" tv and you might as well double that for monitors that actual small then tv, anything above 32" is to be for monitor and normal monitor sitting distance at lest my sitting distance. that said my next tv will most likely be LG oled but that wont be for some time, maybe by then 28" oled monitor will be thing that dont cost the same if not more as 50" oled

15. Kirkyl

Kirkyl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 Strix OC
    I may have to actually jump into VR proper with VR2.

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    LCD Tvs and monitors are fine, that was the whole point of LCD, allowing big tv's and monitors at cheap prices, but LCD in any VR HMD is just awful simply because LCD has so many issues that you can't ignore when the panel is 2 inch from your eyes, the worst ones being LCD lightbleeding, the inability to do a proper blacks, and having washed out colours due to said light bleed issues, and of course they simply can't do the deep rich organic colours of a Oled, so in my view LCD should have no place in VR HMDs, and i for one am very glad Sony also have went fully with Oled in the PSVR2, Oled, and i personally no longer touch a LCD VR HMD and have already refunded the Index, i sold the Quest II and the Dell Vr visor, and i won't again touch a LCD based HMD because once you have used a Oled lcd is just too much of a step back in so many things that Oled brings to the party as standard. ;)

17. garyb

garyb Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4070
    Don't believe what you read.

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont have to "read" it I have seen them there closest thing to CRT in terms of response time and darks I seen since CRT, I just have not switch to them cause there to freaking expensive still....

Response time and lack there of darks is reason I hate LCD/LED flat panel tech as a whole along with fix resolution junk. sadly all tech is base around them.

We have long way to go before oled is viable from price standpoint, will will probably have new tech come before that happens.

XP-200 likes this.
  19. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    Hei guys, all of the sudden I got the "urge" to buy me a gaming tv :D for my ps5 and pc (currently running my old 2080ti).

I did my research, but I am still undecided, maybe you guys can help :)

I am torn between Qled and Oled. I GOT TO THESE MODELS : the all known oled LG C1 (which seems to be one of the best gaming TVs out there), sony A80J (THAT has overall a better image quality but lack all the gaming features, although Sony said they will bring VRR at some point), and the QLED Samsung QN90A (THAT has unbeatable HDR brightness).

I guess, my question is , is permanent OLED burning a real thing ? From my research even if you play a lot on OLED, but then run some netflix movies, from time to time, should not be a problem. On the other hand, Qled, does not have this problem at all, but image quality is definitely lower then what the infinite contrast of OLEDs can bring to the image quality :)

What do you guys think? are there better options out there? SHOULD I wait for something new? (yeeah, this is kinda not a good question :), but still)

Your thoughts on this will be highly appreciated :)

PS: I am currently running a 32 inch LG32UD99W for some years now (was 1100 euros at that time), which is an amazing monitor still, IPS factory calibrated, only 60hz, and can reach HDR 550 nits. I JUST THINK will be nice for me to go bigger screen (like max 55 inch, for my room).

Edit: I can also go with the QN95A that has the connect box, so 4 hdmi 2.1 ports.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  20. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    @serbicu

I'm going to say some stuff that probably isn't going to be popular due to the overhyped love of OLED around here. Let me say OLED is amazing. I'm not denying that. But it's dim. For me, they are too dim and the risk of burn-in is still real. You probably won't get it unless you watch like a sport event or something with static bars and logos on the tv. But for me, I want to game, not worry over and over about an investment.

This is where I say try Quantum led or Mini led. You won't get the deep blacks of Oled, but you will get an amazing PQ. And unless you sit your new tv next to an Oled you really won't know what you're missing. That being said, having just gone through the tv purchase about a year ago myself, some things I learned that mean more than the type of led you buy.

1.) Rtings.com - seriously read their reviews. So many tv's users say they like, get garbage reviews from experts because a lot of gamers don't know any better.

2.) HDMI 2.1 ports. If you want 120hz gaming, make sure the tv is compatible.

3.) HDR. I cannot stress this enough because so many people everywhere I go..unless it's strictly a tv forum, are mislead on this. Just because the box says HDR ready does not mean it's really HDR. Most tv's these days (and monitors) come with HDR 400. This is useless. This is why so many shrug at HDR - because they think since it's "enabled" it's not good. You need to make sure your TV does a minimum of 800 nits for HDR. Go try to find a gaming monitor that can do 4k and more than 800 nits. It will be thousands of dollars. I don't understand why monitors are so far behind here. But, seriously, rtings has their own HDR review for every set they review. Get yourself a good HDR TV, mine does a little over 1k nits peak brightness. You will see some incredible stuff with true HDR. To me, that is worth more than OLED.

4.) This is something all tv's suffer from. Oled included. Again, the misinformed will tell you "my set is fine". They simply haven't noticed it. Dirty screen effect. Every tv has it to some degree. I was reading a forum, a guy returned 14 of the same tv and could not find one that met his needs with this. I have come to the conclusion after all my research, Samsung is the worst for a name brand when it comes to "DSE", Sony is the best. Whatever you do, if the screen looks good to you, just leave it. Don't go to YouTube and do the DSE tests, you'll never unsee what's there. Trust me.

I would recommend a Sony. Even if you choose to go Oled. But again, keep other considerations in your purchase. HDMI 2.1, HDR nits, Dirty screen effect. There's so much to tv's now it's kind of exhausting when doing the research but well worth it to avoid so many hassles. I personally bought a Sony and I wouldn't touch a Samsung. But that's me.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022