Red Dead Redemption 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Havel, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Your system has 35 days uptime, how about a reboot? Lol

If a simple reboot doesn't fix anything, I'd start with DDU and driver reinstall first. Second would be a repair of the Win10 system files, very possible you have something corrupted. Run the following commands at an Admin Command Prompt.

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

After DISM finishes, run the SFC tool.

SFC /scannow

[edit]
    I wasn't home when I first posted this.. but you should also try to debloat and fix up your Windows install. The number of processes running is very high also is that Task Manager screenshot with your PC idle??? As the CPU usage in that doesn't match what's shown in the game overlay. If your at ~18% CPU usage at an empty desktop you definitely need to clean up your install.

Here is mine for example at Idle with just the basics loaded. 110 vs 266 processes is a pretty stark difference!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  2. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Laptop
    Updated to windows 11.
    Problem fixed. Maxed out average fps 80

3. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    So it wasn't the game. It was your Windows Install....

4. 110 is still quite a lot though... (I have 72 - W10 21H1)

5. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Laptop
    maybe, but i didn't do clean fresh install, just upgrade....
    Still not sure exact reason it was messed up with RDR2.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Windows 10 is 100 processes before even adding any thing user run. also thats only counting the Windows processes that are actually sorted under Windows Processes, there are other Windows processes that get sorted to background apps (Defender tray, Antimalware service itself, application framehost, etc)

266 is nothing,

Doubtful, Windows is 88-100 on its own, and then theres between 32 and 50 for Windows processes under Background apps (including some cached Apps maintained on windows store)

Process count is less important than processes actually using CPU and contributing largely to GDI and Handle totals.

Uptime is also an irrelevant factor, a machine with no undiagnosed resource leaks can run just fine for 365 days - if you're finding your machine starts getting weird after a week then you need to diagnose the actual problem instead of falling back onto windows myths.

The only folks that are gunna have less than 150 processes are the ones that destroy their windows install and then whine when things aren't working properly.

[​IMG]

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    All of your post apart from this is on the nail.
    Gaming has a lot more dependencies that can get get screwed up.
    Many times I've had to reboot after a week or 2 uptime that were then resolved.
    I havent bothered digging deep to find why, I simply reboot and problems are fixed.
    Windows has never been infallible, I just shrug my shoulders and get on with it.

vestibule likes this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The usual culprit is a process that has a lot of GDI objects or Handles open.

Windows itself is usually fine to handle hundreds of thousands of handles, but its when a singular process begins consuming too many that you get performance issues, DWM might start to stutter and draw artifacts and eventually it'll start consuming memory invisibly until the Windows crashes, or the display driver does first.

The usual offenders for resource leaks are by no surprise RGB software and Outlook.exe,
    Windows itself has resource leaks that occasionally get patched by microsoft.

9. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I never had 200 process running in background in Windows 10. Not even close.
    When I was still using Windows 10 21H1, my PC started with 85 processes.
    I always uninstall the apps that come with Windows. Only leave the Store and Xbox App for games.

Even now, with Windows 11, that has a lot more processes, my PC starts with just 120 processes.
    And it never goes to 200 processes.

10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Thats fine, though my own 10 install sits at 170 processes before opening anything because of the services and tray processes from IRST, NVCP, Aida64, Dolby assistant, and other utils that run and only consume a tiny bit of resources while idle, then theres a few services for certain updaters that run - and then the startup apps that run ready to be used - i did count and the majority of background apps is windows + store apps just sitting idle doing nothing. of course, more of certain services does raise the svchost total so that raises the Microsoft processes as well as background apps total. some of the 42

It's not about the process count though, its about the processes actively consuming CPU, alot of the minimizing tweaks people use are only reducing Memory consumption, a 0% task is neither increasingly or decreasingly using memory, its sitting in the state it was last active in waiting for user interaction.

its the tasks that are at 0.1% or higher that are actively consuming memory - these are usually related to hardware in some way, aida64 for isntance takes 0.1%-0.4% but its polling hardware and reading sensors periodically.

Tasks that are constantly doing something are also performing software interrupts, so these increase dpc latency and ISR's (usually minimally), these are the ones that under poor conditions (or driver fault presence) have the opportunity to interfere with your game performance. They are also usually the ones that gamer users absolutely have running.

I have an old buggy tray utility for my XFI that exposes a bass and treble slider which uses 0.4% of cpu, this contributes this same amount to Interrupt cpu usage - i have never connected it to reduced game performance though.

These 0% apps though are usually the ones that get paged out first under memory pressure. The next time you interact with them they might hitch and stutter a bit as they page in from a spinner (or not on an ssd) - not autostarting them is good for memory and first interaction performance if your system has been busy in between usages, but their presence otherwise doesn't hurt your game fps.

Out of 81 background processes, 8 were using cpu between 0.1 and 1.4%.
    the highest at 1.4% was the remote deskto process i am viewing the machine with.

the 0.1% tasks are Nvidia Display container, PDEngine, windows defender engine, MDM, Ebooster and a canon printer toolsuite, with aida64 getting to 0.4%

Something to note, windows 10 is much better about process dormancy than 7 or 8 was, under the older os's there was a possibility for dormant processes to be spinning cpu cycles doing nothing and raising the process to interrupt count.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021

11. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I always disable all those services. The only program I have starting with Windows is MSI Afterburner.
    I also have Aida64 installed, but I don't need it's service running on background. I only use Aida to test if I do some alteration on the PC, or to test the zen bug, stuff like that.
    Nvidia Display container, is disabled. I just set the settings I need when I installed the drivers. But after that I never need that, so I disable it.
    The same for the audio control panel. Since I don't need to use it every day.
    Etc....

12. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    You can definitely trim down the number of Windows processes.. got mine down to 40. I used this script to debloat Win10, it basically sets a lot of unnecessary Services to Manual start only, so they only got spun up if required not running all the time.

https://www.christitus.com/debloat-windows-10-2020/

[​IMG]

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    many processes in windows cannot work with Manually started services, those that do are written with service triggers in mind in the first place

i'd not be surprised at to find abnormal dcom errors logged on such a machine.

14. :rolleyes: That might be your personal experience, do not generalize the incompetence.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Incompetence is taking a working OS apart believing doing so has a point, and then complaining about how certain things don't work properly anymore.

Nothing any of you has contributed to this thread is a legitimate solution to the person that was having issues, nor would it ever likely be because its founded on falsities, myths and misunderstandings about the Operating System at large.

As someone who has taken apart and put together OS's since the naughties in the quest to understand them to a degree that only kernel insiders could do better, "incompetence" would be enacted through letting you believe that what you're doing isn't anything short of pointless.

But please, keep believing (incorrectly) that a system with 266 threads and <5% idle util will perform any differently to a system with 110 threads and <5% where there is plenty of system memory to spare. :cool:

His actual issue was actually fairly easy to root cause given a moment was taken to scroll through the processes using cpu and gpu, something none of you even considered to query.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021

16. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Has anyone tried the new DLSS files in this see if it does anything?

Or do we happen to have a thread for DLSS swapping anywhere

17. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I thought I read somewhere that you can use the new files but when you start the game the next time it auto-updates to the old ones.

Party Poison likes this.
  18. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    2.3.5 has awful ghosting and smearing on (some) power lines,just absolutely dreadful.otherwise it's great but still the line issue makes it unplayable.
    gonna try 2.3.2 that looks great in motion in rotr and metro ee.
    if it's just as bad gonna turn dlss off.

edit: 2.3.2 is slightly better.
    overall image quality is fantastic on both,but 2.3.2 has less distracting motion artifacts.they're still there though.to me 2.3.2 is acceptable,i'd use taa instead of 2.3.5
    performance is same,got 85fps avg. in the benchmark

no it doesn't.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
    Party Poison likes this.
  19. AdamNortonUK

AdamNortonUK Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG 2080 Ti
    It doesn,
    When the game is launched the Rockstar Launcher will say 'updating' and replace the DLSS file upon game launch, I have a .bat file I run which loads the game and replaces the DLSS file after the Rockstar Launcher replaces it though instead of manually replacing it each time I launch the game. Check the file sizes and the details of the DLSS file next time you launch the game, you will find it has been replaced.

20. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    steam version
    still has 2.3.2 I replaced the original with