Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 21.12.1 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by MerolaC, Dec 3, 2021.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Can having a gpu power cable going from the psu to the gpu tied together with cable ties with the motherboard power cable a part of the way along the cable cause a video card to have black screen issues when playing a video game / gpu under load?

I had gpu power cable and motherboard power cable tied for a few days thinking having them tied together looked nice and neat, then I had a few black screens when gaming after doing that, I then separated the cables and had them like before where they aren't close to one another and have not had any black screens since.

I can't think of any other reason for a cause of a black screen other than when I initially used this specific driver version at the same time I had those cables tied together, then reverted to older driver version & separated the cables, and now I'm back to this driver and no black screen this time after quite a few hours of gaming.... which has led me to wonder about the gpu / mobo power cables.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  2. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Drivers seems to work fine, no HDR issue and doesn't crash.

Krteq likes this.
  3. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Re-enabling and again disabling works too.

Krteq likes this.
  4. Exostenza

Exostenza Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 GT
    21.12.1 so far has been excellent with my 6800m and 6800 XT - both running buttery smooth with no issues to speak of.

somemadcaaant likes this.

5. xubeiga

xubeiga Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 56
    what driver was the best for you after the tests?

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No not really. It can black screen under load if you use single pcie cable for both power connectors but even that happens on some power hungry cards. Rx470 should be single 6pin, right?

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Yep just a single six.. I can't figure it out.. guess it was just being stupid for that one day only.

This driver has been perfect since installing it for the second time.

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Driver issue most likely rather than power.

KissSh0t likes this.
  9. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    The only thing that comes to my mind is --- You might check the connector. Not saying that it is your case but -- on some cheaper PSU I noticed that the contact can be wonky.... And you playing with the cabling, bundling it together (putting a little bit more tension vs loose) might have caused a slight loose of contact on the 6pin...
    It is only a very slight chance but worth checking whatsoever. Else - like Undying said -- it shouldn't have that much of an impact.

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It's not a cheap psu, EVGA Supernova G2 750W... I was thinking something along the lines of em interference from the motherboard power cable affecting the gpu power cable with them stuck together with cable ties, must have been just a bad driver install *shrugs*

11. illusiveman

illusiveman Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6700XT Ultra
    Nah no chance of interference. Maybe bad connection or maybe the driver install was messed up.
    That's why you only mess with one thing at a time. Never two or more because if something goes wrong you have no idea where is that coming from...

12. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    I could understand EM interference with very sensitive equipment (or soundcards with bad electrical separation) but the GPUs have their own VRM and filtering stages so.. uhm... nah.... no chance.

KissSh0t likes this.
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the supernova g2 line has a history of issues.

14. Hardc0rHamburger

Hardc0rHamburger Member

GPU:
    AMD 6800
    I've been getting random crashes in all DX12 games with these drivers and the older Halo drivers. 3DMark timespy will crash almost every time. I also tried removing the overclocks with the same result. Back on 21.11.3 for now. I do get an extra 40 fps though in Halo with 21.12.1, wish they had better stability.

Update: My issue here was actually a newer Win 11 compatibility motherboard BIOS. Not sure what caused it but going backwards worked.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
  15. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    Actually, SomeOrdinaryGamers posted a video where he shared his experience with the RTX 3090. The card sags a bit which caused it cause random black screens whenever there was like movement on the table/desk and after he reinforced his card with some legos, the issue went away. It could just be that you had a loose connection, that was fixed when you redid the cables later.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Fan, every single freaky one of them has really really crap fans.. which has been replaced in this case... unless there are more issues I am not aware of, would love to know.

This gpu does not sag it has it's own support brace, it's also a small gpu, not large like 3090.

17. P.O.N.

P.O.N. Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4080
    Offtopic, but I got a 750w DOA, I'm using a 850W since 2014, and it is quite good.

18. PhazDelta

PhazDelta Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT Strix LC
    i have two problem with this driver Black screen on any video accelerated web browser even i got new DP cable 3DClub and massive Frame drop in FH5 with Rebar on

Frame drop in FH5 with Rebar on
    [​IMG]

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    The issues that are unrelated to the dodgy fan pre-date the revision I have.

The first result is from 2015, that appears to be a failing psu, I don't have this issue. The one mentioning 3080 TI FTW3 Crashing under load turned out to be the video card itself, this is a non-issue of the power supply, the third result is the fan.. the fan inside these psu's are crap, the 4th result is just talking about power usage of a 1080ti, the user has the psu and the power usage is normal for that videocard during that benchmark.

One mentions black screen issue but later updated that with a fresh install of 10 and newer drivers the issue went away.

The legitimate black screen issues resulting from the power supply appear to be early models of the psu from 2015, mine is from 2018.