Newer nvidia drivers cause overall higher CPU usage, any help?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Smough, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Dogmeat

Dogmeat New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3070 8G
    xV_Slayer is correct. With CFG globally disabled, service DiagTrack (Connected User Experiences and Telemetry) will be stuck forever at "starting" status and the service needs to be started for achievements to work in some games. I can reproduce it all on computers with Windows 10 for several years.

2. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    That is odd.I guess I wouldn't know since I have CFG globally disabled and never have used gamepass.
    Still very odd.I wonder if its intended or a bug.

3. xV_Slayer

xV_Slayer Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    It stops the service called "Connected User Experiences and Telemetry" which needs to run to have achievements show up on screen like Xbox. Go ahead and try it out. For some reason with CFG globally disabled the service refuses to start.

4. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Geforce Experience? Culprit maybe

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Higher CPU utilization isn't necessarily bad, no? Couldn't that mean that the new Driver is scaling better/making use of more of the CPU? Apologies if I've misunderstood something.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yes, if performance is also increased. Much higher cpu utilization for no apparent benefit isn't good

BlindBison likes this.
  7. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks, good point

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    That service doesn't seem to exist on Windows 11, unless they renamed it to something different, so far I didn't find anything remotely close to it in the registry.
    CFG with it's default settings doesn't seem to put any additional stress upon games here either.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  9. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    no, I don't use it.

10. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Not as a service though, did you do a clean install or upgrade?

From what I can see, DiagTrack is coupled to the AutoLogger trace session on Windows 11, which I got disabled.
    Diagtrack is disabled in the AutoLogger entries within the registry too, my achievements are working fine in the Xbox app.

11. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    I doubt, as you can see with the results on pastebin I used a bit of time on them services.
    Code:
    PowerShell Get-Service ^| Select StartType, Status, Name, DisplayName
    Services - Pastebin.com

Nothing under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services refers to diagtrack either, checked with a simple search.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm likes this.
  12. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I have a diagtrack entry.

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    No idea why, the only thing I can state is that it's just not there on my installation and that the Xbox archivement widget works regardless.

Code:
    Edition    Windows 11 Pro
    Version    21H2
    Installed on    ‎04-‎11-‎2021
    OS build    22000.348
    Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.348.0

upload_2021-12-7_21-28-21.png

14. xV_Slayer

xV_Slayer Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    You didn't understand me correctly. You can still get achievements without the service running. They just won't show on the screen when they unlock without the service running.

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Your right, tought you meant the archiement page itself.
    Does it matter though if there is a popup or not? :D

16. Mapson

Mapson Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super 8GB
    Interesting, should be present in Windows 11 non enterprise versions e.g. Family, Pro.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/privacy/windows-11-endpoints-non-enterprise-editions
    Diagnostic data: The following endpoints are used by the 'Connected User Experiences and Telemetry' component and connects to the Microsoft Data Management service.
    If you turn off traffic for this endpoint, diagnostic and usage information, which helps Microsoft find and fix problems and improve our products and services, will not be sent back to Microsoft.

Not really an issue regardless :)

17. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Actually, one could argue that it's better if there isn't. ;)

Achievement popups annoy me. Then again, I don't care about achievements at all.

Mineria likes this.
  18. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Small update: I still have the issue with any other new driver, CPU usage in all games is 10 to 15% more and GPU performance is pretty much similar, but the CPU suffers and can cause more game stutter. :/ I am fully out of ideas.

19. Mapson

Mapson Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 Super 8GB
    May be useful to create a HWInfo64 Log that captures the problem and data for the complete system, a visual chart can then be created from the raw log to possibly identify the issue and/or drill down to hardware specific data e.g. https://i.imgur.com/hfZhRXK.png

Install a driver version that is known to have issues on the machine, reboot.
    • Start HWInfo64 in Sensors Only mode
    • Click the Logging Start icon lower right
    • Select a destination and name for the log file
    • Play a game that exhibits the problem for a while so that log captures the issues multiple times then select Logging End icon in HWInfo64.
    Repeat the above and create a log with 446.14 for comparison.

View a CSV file in the HwInfo64 Log Viewer and examine GPU, CPU etc around the time stamp of the issue, a chart can be created easily e.g. https://i.imgur.com/hfZhRXK.png
    Compare the 446.14 data with the data from a driver that has the issues. Check the individual CPU cores, not just overall CPU usage.

Copy the raw unaltered logs to Google Drive / Drop Box / One Drive and post link here for analysis by other forum users if you wish.

EDIT: NVIDIA also document a away to get traces and submit to the driver team for feedback, see GPUView trace logs guidance at http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3141

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
    SerjRozov likes this.
  20. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA rtx 2060 6gb
    Yes my i7 4770 non k version also noticed a big usage but of all games i see worst cases are vulkan titles i see red ded redemption 2 use and abuse of my cpu and cpu temps are also more agressive. I onestly dont know what the hell are they changing but its not good.

Smough likes this.