Gigabyte to offer price competitive Z690 mobo that lacks PCIe 5.0

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    A VGA port in 2021 is highly useful when you need to test the CRT projector you inherited from your grandfather.

Solfaur likes this.
  3. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Seems incredibly reduced for a Z series board. This will have to be VERY cheap (£60-£70 IMO) to make sense, I guess it's aimed at modest home/office PCs that will have an i3/i5 in them, however you would be much better served waiting for the B series or just going 11th gen..

Undying and Kaarme like this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    This reminds me of asrock phantom x570 crappy board with missing features and subpar vrms. If you want a z690 get a real thing.

Kaarme likes this.

5. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Maybe this will find its way to those so called Gaming PCs sold in various marketplaces, mainly by third party sellers. The seller can then rightfully claim the PC has a mighty Z690 motherboard, even if it's lacking the features actually making Z690 interesting.

Undying likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    They need to roll out cheaper b660 boards for non K cpus and resonable price/quality. Well if intel does not lock the memory overclocking again on lower and boards and locked chips :D

7. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    The price is 190 Euro excluding tax so it's not that cheap... :(
    The lack of PCIe 5.0 is already in shop in Asrock flavour (Phantom Z690M gaming 4)
    , Asus and MSI version will be before xmas.
    On other hand the PCIe 5.0 GPU will be aviable when Intel 1700 would be EOL lol

RS 232 and analogic VGA are still essential on some pro activity... (exemple in studio or precision industry where RS 232 is less sensible to parasit noise)

Even for K most of them can reach same result with B chipset...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    Kaarme likes this.
  8. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    Sadly, I expect this is bang on.

9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    you's be surprised how many older digital projectors lack any digital inputs, lots of them installed in offices and schools.

10. FlyBy

FlyBy Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080ti wc
    It's got a serial header on the board, so you can easily have RS232, which I too still need sometimes for network devices initial setup etc......BUT

what got me was, as I looked at the pic first to see if I can find a RS232 header and just post "there is a header guys" I instead saw this long header and tiny letters below "LPT" and thought...no, that can't be, can't see a serial header but got this and then went to the website and did my part of RTFM and yes, it's a Parallel Port and it luckily also got a RS232 Port header.

Actually, a nice board. I know companies who need and buy exactly such boards. The multitude of display options is well in that sense, you often come across really old devices, even MS-DOS sometimes tbh and youi better have "options" to get the job done.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021

11. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    what you think is a bargain, is just a lot of parts they don't know what to do with thrown on a recent chipset to get rid of otherwise unsellable hardware
    as Kaarme said they look like pre-built PCs with throwaway motherboard and psu

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Good decision . You don't need PCI 5 for another couple of years. PCIE 4 is plenty enugh.

13. Darksword

Darksword Active Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 980 Ti
    What...no ISA slot??