NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti gets 21 Gbps Micron GDDR6X memory

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 29, 2021.

1. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Sept-November? 2022

XenthorX likes this.
  2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    My understanding is that both the 3090 and 3080ti also have 21Gb/s GDDR6X but it is downclocked to reduce power use and heat issues. Is that right?

If so, the 3090ti will need much better RAM cooling than the pisspoor effort on the 3090FE.

3. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    High VRAM Tjunction on the 3090 FE came from the modules on the backside, 3090 Ti will not have VRAM modules on the backside anymore, should be much easier to cool.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    On aftermarket cards, many had very poor thermal pads, mine included.
    A lot of people replaced the pads which gave a stellar improvement, but it is dangerous as too tough a pad can crack the memory IC because it is very thin, slightly raised from the PCB and has no support in the centre.

I took a different approach and placed a 1080ti core heatsink on the backplate of the card.
    Without a fan it dropped max temps around 5C (using airflow past the card), with a silent fan around 10C drop.
    I'm MUCH happier now and the method was zero risk.
    It barely overclocked ram before, now I can get +700MHz (I think, might be more, need to check).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    carnivore and Airbud like this.

5. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    I totally feel this, but try this...triple 1440p's in Assetto Corsa Competizione with a full field in weather, or 70 people in custom avatars in the same world in VRChat, or MS Flight Sim in VR or triple wides.

geogan and DeskStar like this.
  6. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    For the high-end customers a shiny new 3090ti, the beast of beasts.
    For the mid-range customers a shiny new 12b 2060.
    Thank you so much Mercedes!

DeskStar likes this.
  7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Looks good, but, we all know hardly anyone will be able to afford one. The RTX3090's now are already unaffordable. Early adopters of 3080 and 3090 got a good deal in hindsight.

8. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Only early adopter of the 3080s were putting their names on a waiting list, 3090 early adopters done well.
    I'm waiting on 3070ti for £100 plus my 2060, may get a 2060 12gb in future if they're fast as 2060 super.

9. ViperAnaf

ViperAnaf Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC
    2%-5% increase in performance for 50% more cash.... what has the world become....

10. lukas_1987_dion

lukas_1987_dion Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Phantom GS
    Looks good? 100w TDP over 3090 for 2-4% performance more looks good to you? :p

I wonder how temperatures will be.. VRAM might get reduced temps cuz different build, but GPU core with those 100w more its a different story.
    Now I have no doubt RTX 4090 will be 500-600w GPU+ at start, hard pass. I hope RX 7900XT will be at no more than 400w, if not well time to find a new hobby for real, 300w+ for new CPUs and 500w+ for GPU's (not counting all other parts), no thanks.

So much talk about ecology and efficiency these days, looks like they're sleeping on it or what lol

11. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    They all look good from my perspective. Maybe not for you as an RTX3090 owner.

12. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    What is the hashrate for this? Miners be asking...

13. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Compare the specs, the difference is very close to that.

14. JoeyR

JoeyR Member

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 980Ti's
    Man these last few years have really brought the best and worst out of people and companies alike. "High-End" GPU prices are simply absurd at this point. Gone are the days of picking up 2x cards for SLI or redundancy for less than $1200. hell we can't even get a single high end card for that now, especially given the inflation of MSRP prices. Cranking up those in game settings is a great feeling and all, but at what point do you just say "no"(I reached "no" last year). At this rate the GPU companies can crash and burn and I truly hope they do. The world may end up being a much better place some years later. People can blame covid, the chip shortage, miners, politics, or Obama himself(thanks Obama), but follow the money...............and you will see none of those things managed to slow down Nvidia, AMD, or most other tech companies for that matter, in fact it did the quite the complete opposite! But who did those things impact? Well I for one won't be selling my soul to these greed machines.

15. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    450 watts consumption ... It will be the top card sure but personally even 300 where a not to me , not to mention the 3060ti i was planning to get i was dead set to undervolt.... Is just too much.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Wow these mining cards are so powerful and awesome it sure would be cool if Nvidia made some video cards for people to play video games on as well.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  17. iicycube

iicycube Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080TI OC
    Another mining or streamer GPU which added that little performance but for the price of a "bomb"
    A series "40" or "50" will slap this 3090 tI, nvidia still haven stamp a price lol.

18. StevieSleep

StevieSleep Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    Why? the GDDR6X was already poorly built to the point that you could force it to over 100C without too much effort. I could push it above 90 in phreakin' warzone
    Even if they add some cooling I don't think that 6X is anything but a useless stopgap that causes more issues that it fixes.

19. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia's greed is insatiable. I really wish I could say I didn't see this coming, but I did. And I'd have done the same in their place. It's a sad world we have created for ourselves.

20. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Yeah, I can confirm that my 3090 has 21Gb/s memory that's downclocked to 19.5Gb/s by default. Without my waterblock including active backplate the memory (especially on the back of the card which reached 104°C+) was rather toasty, too, liquid cooled it's nice and cool in the 50s and there's no temperature difference between 19.5Gb/s and 21Gb/s either (although I generally run it at stock since it doesn't boost FPS noticeably in most games). I really wouldn't want to use the 3090 without active cooling on the back VRAM anymore even at stock, though.
    The 3090Ti will use chips with double the size so it won't have to have VRAM chips at the back of the card anymore, which in turn will help greatly with keeping these things cool even with just a passive backplate.
    The 3090 Ti is what the 3090 should have been, really. But this late in the product cycle it may not be worth getting it, especially with the next generation video cards on the horizon.
    Insane! I got mine for less than the original MSRP at an electronics store a bit more than a year ago as well. It still felt too expensive then, but today's GPU prices are completely out of whack.

chispy likes this.