Nvidia Hotfix Driver 496.98

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by SyntaX, Nov 24, 2021.

1. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Well with my cpu 3900xt i don't see huge cpu usage outta nowhere other than loading textures cache the 1st time you boot the game after install, still a mess of a VULKAN build i guess

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    turn off HAGS.

3. erazerswe

erazerswe Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060
    Im on 496.76, can i just install this to "update" A bit confused since i dont see anything newer on their site than what i have...

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Havn't seen TDR crash for over 5 years now.

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    That is nice for you, but why would I be interested in this? TDRs are btw. mostly invisible these days and are only noticeable by device lost errors of crashing apps or when looking at Windows event logs.

6. erazerswe

erazerswe Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060
    I havent had a TDR crash in ages either and didnt even know what it actually meant until i googled it. And for those of you who also didnt know, ..."TDR stands for Timeout Detection and Recovery. This is a feature of Microsoft's Windows which attempts to detect if your PC has frozen and attempts to recover by reinitializing the driver and reset the GPU. If you see your monitor flicker briefly followed by a TDR error message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered"

XantaX and AQUILES like this.
  7. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    No, that doesn't apply anymore. There can be soft driver resets without display flicker and without any information popping up.

8. erazerswe

erazerswe Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060
    Aha ok, got you, sorry

9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    How do you know that feeling :p:p? Hmmmm :D

10. XantaX

XantaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI 12G
    No don't update the new hf , the optimal result can be gained to use DDU otherwise you have leftovers from the 496.76 .
    I do that always before installing the hf driver and never have troubles with ;)

11. XantaX

XantaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI 12G
    Thanks for explaining What TDR means, i didn't know that...,never old enough to learn new things:)

12. SaiBork

SaiBork Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 Ti / 4090
    Yes you can just install this version over the previous one. You don't see it on their site as this is a hotfix release and not a gameready release that you'd see on there.

DDU is not needed, you only need to use DDU when you have issues. If in doubt and you want to clear basic settings, you can just use the "clean" option during the installation. Just because you always do it, does not mean you should be recommending other to do so.

erazerswe likes this.
  13. Plug2k

Plug2k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    well monitor flickering is still here in this driver also.

main display does not flicker as much but its there still and 2nd monitor and 3rd monitor are still the same flickering a lot more randomly than the main display....

14. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I may need to give these a go as I had that youtube gamma bug last night ( thought I had too much vodka first ) and 2 days ago RDR2 hardlocked my pc.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  15. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Didn't the devs on the Steam forum basically say they couldn't fix it because not enough users sent them enough "useful" information too though lol?? (I"m sorry, what is a dxdiag going to really accomplish? Other than building the same PC and seeing if it happens. If it's a widespread issue, it's clearly not just a problem with a specific hardware configuration.)
    Last I checked Heavy Rain's audio is still busted too with stuttering music.

16. richto

richto Guest

GPU:
    2 x 7900GX2 GTX DUOs in Quad SLi
    Just use Edge - it's built in, faster than both and most of the Chrome plugins are available.

Repo Man and XantaX like this.
  17. XantaX

XantaX Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 TI 12G
    In my case I use DDU because in the past I had most of the time issues, but it was only an advice to prevent leftovers from the old driver.
    Everybody can decide for him/her self of course imo, but i am always open for other suggestions or comments, thanks for your reply :)

Smough likes this.
  18. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Yeah i use edge for the YT app/extension

19. erazerswe

erazerswe Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3060
    Cheers!

XantaX likes this.