AMD increases the cost of RX 6000 GPUs by 10% for AIB customers.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Wrinkly

Wrinkly Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon 290 / 4GB
    If people are dumb enough to purchase a console based GPU then they are dumb enough to pay a bit more. Good move AMD!

Undying likes this.
  2. Catspaw

Catspaw Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080/8GB
    Retro games, here I come.

carnivore and Undying like this.
  3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I never thought I would see the day when buying a GPU is this hard and expensive!

This kind of news even makes me feel "vindicated" for having bought a Nintendo Switch a week ago...

4. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Most devs are moving or have long completed a move to consoles. Those still PC exclusive are usually indie titles that would run on a toaster. Bar any crypto crash, PC gaming is on its last legs.

5. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Today, the difference between PC and consoles is small. PC and consoles use very similar hardware, especially the CPU and GPU.
    In a simplistic way, consoles are just PCs, with a closed OS and Store.
    Game engines, middleware, tools are also very similar. In some cases, they are the same.
    This means that today, it's much faster and cheaper to port between consoles and PC, and vice versa.
    That's why so many PC franchises are coming to consoles, and so many console franchises coming to PC.

Yes, PC is being hit hard by the chip shortages and the crypto mining craze.
    But the consoles are also being hit. Sony just announced they are reducing the production of the PS5, despite a strong demand from consumers.

And that idea that PC gaming is dying, is complete nonsense. Even in a terrible year, like 2021.
    It takes all consoles together, to beat the PC games market.
    [​IMG]

chispy and mackintosh like this.
  6. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Etherium mining is officially ending next year as the coin is going 'legit' into the real world, wait till then for best deals if you can.

Undying likes this.
  7. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Thank God it is not Nvidia that announces this...otherwise it would be "those green greedy bastards" all over this forum.:p
    Like this it is only silent pain:D

Noisiv and Krizby like this.
  8. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    My mistake, I'm not up to date on the market. Looks like they moved to mobile gaming then. PC is an ever-shrinking slice of the pie, and that's quite clear from the chart you just posted. Unless GPUs become affordable again, an inevitable wave of obsolescence will kill it off.

9. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    The PC market is not shrinking as total revenue. Neither is consoles.
    It's just that mobile gamming is growing much faster.

But even smartphones are being hit by the chip scarcity.
    Just today, there are news that smartphone sales dropped 6.8%, because of that.

The real issue on the PC market is mining.
    If it wasn't for this, the increase to GPU prices would be much smaller.

But we already had several big companies saying that the chip shortage will be solved by late 2022.
    So we "only" have one more year left in purgatory.

10. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX

So, let's see:

I think that nobody knows what will happen in 2022 so they "emanate" all kind of statements...

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021

11. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    You can have a very good used car for that price.

chispy, CrazY_Milojko and Saabjock like this.
  12. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    It is crazy isn't it.
    Little less than a year ago, I sold a fully rebuilt 1994 Saab 900 Turbo for less than the cost of an RTX3090.
    I will never pay more than $800 for ANY videocard.
    I would stop simracing before I do that.
    Consoles are not an option, simply because they don't allow for file tweaks or mods to update the cars and tracks.
    It is computer gaming or another hobby.
    Looking more like the latter.

13. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    5 years ago i sold a 2007 Mazda 3 in very good shape. I stay 5 min from work so i barely take my car and it's parked inside an interior parking. Engine was a very good shape. Brakes were new. Battery was new. Maintenance done regularly. Sold it for 2 grands. It needed new tires and had a little bit of rust on the back wings but it was still a very good car with a barely used engine in very good shape. That's crazy that today this amount of money doesn't even get you the top GPU on the market. The bubble will burst one day almost sure. People love gaming but at one point you got to re-evaluate your priority in life. Crypto as it is being a speculative investment like all speculative investment it will crash at one point even if it's just for a short period of time and no way enough gamers will accept to pay this much for a GPU to sustain the market. I think both nVidia and AMD are in for a rough ride when crypto will crash cause they are currently angering their main revenue source outside of crypto when it comes to GPU.

14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    You are right , but profits atm they do not really care , amd sells almost all the good chiplets on the server market inside epyc cpus , in reality we get the very bottom of the barrel the 2 most sold cpus are normally the 5600 and 5900 ,but even the 5800 is lower bin power wise to the ones used in epyc . Now in the long term i am not sure atm they are riding a good mindshare on the cpu department . Anyway those are my thoughts i can be wrong on any of my statements above .

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I got a switch as well a few weeks ago hehe.. Diablo 3 is on the switch! I was so surprised by that, it's pretty fun on there...

Switch was just a little more than the price of the video card RX580 I was going to purchase at the start of the year before it's price pretty much tripled before I went to buy it along with the CPU/Mobo/Memory upgrade that I did ..and then it was removed from sale before the price ever come back down... now the cheapest AMD video card that is actually available is the RX 6600 for $699.. which is laughable for that segment of video card.

Saabjock likes this.

16. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    [QUOTE="now the cheapest AMD video card that is actually available is the RX 6600 for $699.. which is laughable for that segment of video card.[/QUOTE]

It is 'crazy' to see what people are paying for these low-end cards.
    At the very most a 6600XT should retail for $290.
    Many have lost sight of this whole issue and are letting limited availability drive their buying decision.
    I've heard about folks who sold a 2080 months ago in hopes of buying one of the newer generation cards turning around and paying 'bank' for a 6600XT because it was 'available'.
    Makes absolutely no sense to me...more money for lower performance than what they had previously.

17. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    It is 'crazy' to see what people are paying for these low-end cards.
    At the very most a 6600XT should retail for $290.
    [/QUOTE]
    you have to factor in the price of the card you'll be selling
    i paid 650eur for a 3060Ti,so the msrp of 6800xt.but my 1070 strix went for 350eur.
    so 300eur for 1070->3060ti,double the performance,new features,new card.

I think it's relative,depends what the upgrade will cost you,not just the card.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  18. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    At least the 6900 comes with an anti sag bracket...thats gotta be worth 300 euro.